• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

xc hst violent jurking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst2cornwall

Right this is my 1st time on this forum and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct section but here goes.
A couple of week ago I was on an XC Hst from cheltenham spa to exeter to catch the FGW direct to Truro. The XC was running nearly an hour late and on leaving Taunton it starting some extreme jurking and jolting. Have often got this slightly on an hst when the rear power car is taking up any slack but always at very low speeds after leaving the station, but this must have been at over 50 mph, no explanation on why the xc service was running late, could it have been a fault with the rear power car? Or do you think the driver was giving it too much power too soon? Quite a few passengers were commenting on how violent the motion was.

Any thoughts people?
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hst2cornwall

Thanks for the reply not raining and on a section of line with no adjacent trees so I would of thought wheel slip unlikely?

4SRKT

Established Member
Was there a very over-excited HST Basher in the toilet?

Crossover

Established Member
I have experienced a surging XC HST before - from Sheffield up to Leeds - rather annoying I have to say (a surging Voyager is an even stranger experience, though!)

Schnellzug

Established Member
probably the driver. Some of those CrossCountry drivers are dreadful.

( :lol: )
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually, on a more serious note, it can do that if the wheelslide protection system cuts in under braking.

83G/84D

Established Member
Could have been wheelslip, what were the conditions? If there was rain or frost this might have been a contributary factor. Trains departing Taunton in the down direction do not normally suffer the effects you describe in good weather unless there is an issue with the traction.

HST's do suffer from the jolting and jerking you describe especially when starting away on a rising gradient.

Totnes (down), St Germans (down), Truro (down), St Erth (down), Bodmin Parkway (up) are some places I have noticed it, usually when rails are wet after rain.

Old Timer

Established Member
Because the rear power car runs at at faster speed than the front, when the power controller is opened there is a slight mismatch between the front and rear as the rear engine speed dips, which is amplified if the power controller is opened sharply.

I know this came up in the early days of HST operation on the ECML, and it settled down when Drivers started to power up slowly from a start. If you can find an old recording you will hear the slight pause from initial power to opening up the controller progressively.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8q2o7QUzY6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hst2cornwall

It was accellerating not braking at the time, i don't know how the two power cars are synchronised on an hst, is it ecu controlled so that the rear power car isn't giving more than the lead? or is the driver incharge of that?

deltic1989

Established Member
Was there a very over-excited HST Basher in the toilet?

Don't joke about that. I saw that once when they forgot to lock the door. What has been seen cannot be unseen :shock:

on an unrelated note:

let he who have understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, it is six hundred three score and six.

This is my 666th post.

hst2cornwall

I'm now thinking from some of the posts on here it was a case of an XC driver trying to make up time on the starts. It was funny that the FGW manager kept saying sorry for the rather low rate of knots we were making between exeter where we joined, and Plymouth where the XC terminated. "This is due to an extremely late running crosscountry service infront of us" funny! Love that Valenta Sunset clip too, seen it loads and miss them, it will be a shame when the hst's are no more, lets hope the voyager plague doesn't spread to FGW please?

hst2cornwall

So let me get this straight, the hst applies power to the traction motors in notches but the class 220/221 voyager is basically power on off? I thought they basically all worked the same in terms of a diesel engine running a generator/alternator to provide power to the traction motors? I know dmu's are automatically geared and I pressume voyagers are the same? The XC that seemed to be slipping was an hst edenburough to plymouth I think by the way.

redthunder

could be mixture of the conditions and the driving but give me a hst compared to a 220 or 221 anyday

the worst violent jerkings I tend to experience on a train is the class 185's going over the pennines between Leeds & Manchester, very nasty they are!!!!

TDK

Established Member
So let me get this straight, the hst applies power to the traction motors in notches but the class 220/221 voyager is basically power on off? I thought they basically all worked the same in terms of a diesel engine running a generator/alternator to provide power to the traction motors? I know dmu's are automatically geared and I pressume voyagers are the same? The XC that seemed to be slipping was an hst edenburough to plymouth I think by the way.

When applying power with a diesel engine driving traction motors the power (BHP) will peak in each notch, if you have an ammeter in the cab it is best to notch up once the ammeter peaks and then starts to drop slightly, this way you are driving the train more economically and also more professionally, in the class 67 you have a computer screen on the EM2000 interface that shows you the BHP being delivered in each notch the BHP and notches for a 67 are below - hope this helps with any doubts on electro diesels. I wouls imagine that to drive an HST, Voayger would be ultimately best if you adhered to these guidlines.

Notch 1 - 260
Notch 2 - 440
Notch 3 - 650
Notch 4 - 990
Notch 5 - 1250
Notch 6 - 1550
Notch 7 - 2350
Notch 9 - 3050

These are approximate

hst2cornwall

When applying power with a diesel engine driving traction motors the power (BHP) will peak in each notch, if you have an ammeter in the cab it is best to notch up once the ammeter peaks and then starts to drop slightly, this way you are driving the train more economically and also more professionally, in the class 67 you have a computer screen on the EM2000 interface that shows you the BHP being delivered in each notch the BHP and notches for a 67 are below - hope this helps with any doubts on electro diesels. I wouls imagine that to drive an HST, Voayger would be ultimately best if you adhered to these guidlines.

Notch 1 - 260
Notch 2 - 440
Notch 3 - 650
Notch 4 - 990
Notch 5 - 1250
Notch 6 - 1550
Notch 7 - 2350
Notch 9 - 3050

These are approximate

Thanks for the info, all this is really interesting I've love to be able to get to grips with a train SIM but I'm partially sighted and just can't use them.

TDK

Established Member
Thanks for the info, all this is really interesting I've love to be able to get to grips with a train SIM but I'm partially sighted and just can't use them.

I don't do train sims - I drive the locos - however it's a shame with the poor sight you have, I have never done a train sim except the professional ones in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.