• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why not Replace Pacers With ex-IE 2700s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yep, you just need to have the spare bogies ready to go.

What spare bogies do you mean? Because as far as I'm aware there aren't any. The only bogies available to work with these units would be the bogies that are currently under them!

DownSouth

Established Member
What spare bogies do you mean? Because as far as I'm aware there aren't any. The only bogies available to work with these units would be the bogies that are currently under them!
Oops, the word I was looking for would have been replacement bogies (i.e. bogies for 1435mm standard gauge track) which would have been a better way to put it than spare.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
:D Don't think Health and safety would permit carrying passenger in coal hoppers. Anyway, the 378s are great, or am I the only one;)

378s are like park benches on wheels. It's just as well BR changed second class to standard class years ago, or it would have been necessary to reintroduce third class for the 378s ;) I can't believe a man who thinks that 378s are great is complaining about pacers.......... <is speechless>

ert47

378s are like park benches on wheels. It's just as well BR changed second class to standard class years ago, or it would have been necessary to reintroduce third class for the 378s ;) I can't believe a man who thinks that 378s are great is complaining about pacers.......... <is speechless>

Not sure if I could imagine a 378 with Longitudinal 1st Class seating :lol:

dubscottie

Back to the 2700's..

Their dimensions are.

Width - 2834mm (at widest point)
Rail to Roof height - 3985mm
Length over body (not including couplers/gangways) 20543mm

First pic is the cross section at the widest part of the body And the second at the non driving end of the car. (Cab end is narrower again)

Dont know if someone wants to compare them to the UK loading gauge.
DSC_0021.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 31

Wolfie

Established Member

The 378s operate tube-like services and are designed for crush loading - see a North London Line train between say Hackney and Highbury & Islington - and are very good at doing so. It amuses me how folk who have used them once or twice whinge while regular users (I am on the things at least 4 times a day!) love them. Believe me they are a million percent better than the previous 313s. Just look at the London Overground passenger figures some time......

Pacers are complete and utter junk - always have been and always will be!

The 378s operate tube-like services and are designed for crush loading - see a North London Line train between say Hackney and Highbury & Islington - and are very good at doing so. It amuses me how folk who have used them once or twice whinge while regular users (I am on the things at least 4 times a day!) love them. Believe me they are a million percent better than the previous 313s. Just look at the London Overground passenger figures some time......

Pacers are complete and utter junk - always have been and always will be!

Thank you Wolfie. Rather have a two year old train than a bouncer. :D

Isn't having a turbocharged DMU replacing a naturally aspirated one bad? You know. Turbo lag and all that, apparently the 170's that replaced the 150's on the Birmingham to rugeley line had to run on an amended timetable because of slower acceleration until the turbo kicks in ( which is hard to do when you keep starting and stopping)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Isn't having a turbocharged DMU replacing a naturally aspirated one bad? You know. Turbo lag and all that, apparently the 170's that replaced the 150's on the Birmingham to rugeley line had to run on an amended timetable because of slower acceleration until the turbo kicks in ( which is hard to do when you keep starting and stopping)

You can spool the turbo without putting it into gear in theory with a hydraulic transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.