4.2.4 Excess procedures: change of ticket type
Change of ticket type excesses allow a journey to be made at a time when time and/or break of journey restrictions prohibit this. There is no penalty for buying on board even if there was opportunity to buy before boarding.
If bought from ticket office or on board with no opportunity to pay before boarding:
If bought on board where there was opportunity to pay before boarding:
- For Singles & Returns, the whole difference is charged
- For one portion (Outward or Return) of a Return ticket, the FULL difference is charged. Alternatively, the passenger can buy the APPROPRIATE Single instead.
- The difference is between the price paid and the APPROPRIATE ticket type of the route requested.
- Railcard discounts ARE available
- As above: there is no penalty on board with this type of excess.