• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggest a Railway Preservation project to receive £500

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The Forum Staff have decided to donate £500 of surplus funds accumulated from operating the forum to a Railway Preservation project to be chosen by the membership.

We're looking for a specific appeal, whether that be for instance an infrastructure or rolling stock project, rather than the ongoing operation of a railway or locomotive. Please post your suggestions and reasons why the forum should support the project below and if anyone wishes to discuss any suggestion or any other part of this opportunity please use a linked discussion thread.

Timescales:
  • Suggestions must be posted below by the end of Sunday 9 November
  • Voting will be open from Monday 10 November until Sunday 16 November

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The restoration of 37025 at the Bo'ness and Kinneil heritage railway. It still needs a lot done, as told in Railways Illustrated issue 139, September 2014, and it seems that the amount to be done is endless. Nevertheless, this loco deserves the £500, just because it's a class 37. :)

Last edited:

ECML180

I'd like to suggest the North Wales Model Engineering Society's project to install a permanent site and track at Llandudno's west shore. They are currently installing a new loop as well as looking at installing a clubhouse.

I was lucky enough to meet some of the team whilst on holiday and have to say they are a knowledgeable and pleasant bunch, as well as very dedicated to their craft.

http://www.nwmes.org.uk/

harry42

The Loughborough Gap:

Connecting the Great Central Railway between Nottingham and Leicester

Our Reunification of GCRrailway reunification project is gathering pace. Working in full partnership with Network Rail a new bridge will be installed to carry our heritage trains over the Midland main line. Its a key step towards creating an 18 mile railway which will deliver economic benefit, create jobs and be a tourist attraction we can all take pride in

Design work is substantially complete and planning permission has been granted. It is expected the bridge will be in place before the end of 2015. We must raise one million pounds to pay for the work. The good news is, we are well over half way to the target already. Get the bridge finished and we can work on the other elements of the scheme.

See details here

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
What a fantastic idea! Although all of the above groups deserve the £500, I believe the money should go to a group trying to achieve something a little different; the Swindon Panel Preservation Society is a very dedicated group looking to secure the future of one of the often forgotten areas of our railways: http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/

When in situ at the Didcot Railway Centre the panel will be a fully interactive simulator for the public to play with!

EM2

Established Member
What a fantastic idea! Although all of the above groups deserve the £500, I believe the money should go to a group trying to achieve something a little different; the Swindon Panel Preservation Society is a very dedicated group looking to secure the future of one of the often forgotten areas of our railways: http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/

When in situ at the Didcot Railway Centre the panel will be a fully interactive simulator for the public to play with!

I'd like to add my 'vote' to this. Signalling is a vital aspect of the railway, yet its importance is often overlooked. Some of the 'keyboard warriors' might learn something too :lol:

Yew

Established Member
The APT-P restoration project, purely as I hope one day to have a ride on it.

alex17595

It would be really cool if they could hook it up to a model railway, similar to crewe heritage centre.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a note to those posting one liners, the idea is that this is going to be voted on by the membership at large so you may want to provide a little detail as to why the forum should support your project when there are so many worth supporting.

168lover

Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway is currently starting to build a restoration and education centre. We have only have enough money to build the outer walls of it. The centre will be used to look after our fleet of Locos and Carriages and also to teach children in the local area about the engineering involved with trains. If you choose the money to go to Chinnor you will not only be helping now, you'll be helping the future generations to enjoy the greatest form of Transport The Railways!

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
The restoration of Bridge 11 on the Northampton and Lamport Railway, a crucial element of their southern extension. The bridge requires extensive work to bring it up to passenger carrying standard, including re-routing of the adjacent public footpath during the works. This is the main obstacle to opening the Boughton extension.

Last edited:

colchesterken

To the NRM on condition that it is spent on a coat of paint for 306 017 which is owned by NRM and rotting out in the open at Wakes Colne station Essex

This it the only original 1st generation 25kv EMU in preservation it is even unrefurbished
it is a shame to see it being left to rot when they can find £2m to restore Scotsman

While we are at it can be get a protest to NRM going here to even cover it up

steamybrian

Established Member
To my local heritage railway Spa Valley Railway which would be contribution towards relaying the down loop at Eridge station to create a run round loop. It is one of the few schemes that would save money in the long term. When installed one locomotive would be required instead of the present use of locomotives top and tailed (or a turn over loco) when running to Eridge.

headshot119

Established Member
I would like to nominate Llangollen Railcars "Gloucester 100" project, it's a truly unique project to preserve something unique. Without projects like these a lot of our history would be lost for future generations.

The project to restore the only-remaining Gloucester 100 two-car DMU has for many years been seen as one of preservation’s “mission impossibles”.

Built in 1957 this unit used a revolutionary integral construction method to achieve a low weight and thus had enhanced performance and good fuel economy. Only 40 of the type were built and they soon fell out of favour as being difficult to repair and costly to maintain.

Driving Motor Brake Second 51118 and Driving Trailer 56097 were taken out of British Railways service in 1972, more than 40 years ago, and served the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and the West Somerset Railway before being laid up with structural problems. At risk of scrapping they were eventually rescued by Llangollen Railcars and a costly asbestos strip was undertaken. Restoration has been slowly under way for more than two years now with enormous difficulties being encountered in making up the complex load-bearing shapes which form the sides and which in some areas have completely crumbled away. A satisfactory method of repair has now been found and progress is now only limited by the amount of money which can be raised.

This restoration is the most complex and thorough of any which has been attempted on a diesel multiple unit. It must succeed because the Gloucester unit is now the only one of its type to survive, and is the only one of this type of construction still in existence. The unit is now approaching 60 years old, and has been in preservation for more than 40 years – it is also 20 years since it last worked a train. There are more details at www.llangollenrailcars.com & http://www.llangollenrailcars.com/Glosrest1_2/glosrest1.htm

Web51118_Small.JPG

56097-a_Small.JPG

The extent of the welding work needed to repair the body.
class%20100%202.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
My idea would be to rebuild the line between Low Moor and Thornhills Junction in West Yorkshire and I'm talking about the Spen Valley Line.

Pretty much everything is in tip top condition, any work required would be to source and install two and three aspect colour signals, the rebuilding of three stations - these being Cleckheaton Central, Heckmondwike Central and Liversedge Central along with a new platform at Low Moor near to where the new one will be built (for interchange purposes) and one at Ravensthorpe (Scout Hill) as a sort of interchange for both Ravensthorpe itself and Dewsbury.

Had there been space for an extra line and had there been station at Thornhills, then it may have been a little easier to build a platform three should there have been ample space.

Access to the potential line would be from the Ravensthorpe (Scout Hill) end with the Thornhills Juntion being ininstated, any rolling stock aquired would access the line from this point should the former juction at the Low Moor end be lost. Rolling stock itself would have to be heritage diesel i.e. the Pacer series once they have been withdrawn. as we could work in partnership with the Pacer Preservation Society and provide them with a line to run the units on.

The only other problem is the diversion of the Spen Valley Greenway which would have to be narrowed in oder to fit in a single line with a passing place at Cleckheaton as the SVGw could be sent through Tesco car park, plus there is a problem of where to install a siding for up to 12 units and a small yard full of sliced up class 142's.

1. The locomotive shed appeal at Leeming Bar, Wensleydale Railway
2. 80135 Appeal at the NYMR
3. Team Buckthrash (37250 D5061)
4. KOYLI Group (55002
5. Deltic Preservation Society (D9009 D9015 55019)

Any of the above!

Thanks

theblackwatch

Established Member
Please remember, as per the first post, We're looking for a specific appeal, whether that be for instance an infrastructure or rolling stock project, rather than the ongoing operation of a railway or locomotive.

bnm

Established Member
I'd also like to add my voice to those suggesting the donation should go to the Swindon Panel Preservation Society.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
DEPG at Williton towards the cost of bringing D7018 back into service after being out of use for many years undergoing overhaul.

SWTH

I'd like to nominate the FR Heritage Group's Waggon Tracks Appeal

It aims to preserve and maintain one of the largest collections of Victorian goods rolling stock in the world. As well as restoring the waggons themselves, the aim is to be able to provide covered storage for them - several waggons have already been overhauled twice, and each 'duplicate' restoration takes the place of an unrestored waggon that continues to deteriorate.

fgwrich

Established Member
DEPG at Williton towards the cost of bringing D7018 back into service after being out of use for many years undergoing overhaul.

I would like to nominate Llangollen Railcars "Gloucester 100" project, it's a truly unique project to preserve something unique. Without projects like these a lot of our history would be lost for future generations.

The project to restore the only-remaining Gloucester 100 two-car DMU has for many years been seen as one of preservation’s “mission impossibles”.

Built in 1957 this unit used a revolutionary integral construction method to achieve a low weight and thus had enhanced performance and good fuel economy. Only 40 of the type were built and they soon fell out of favour as being difficult to repair and costly to maintain.

Driving Motor Brake Second 51118 and Driving Trailer 56097 were taken out of British Railways service in 1972, more than 40 years ago, and served the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and the West Somerset Railway before being laid up with structural problems. At risk of scrapping they were eventually rescued by Llangollen Railcars and a costly asbestos strip was undertaken. Restoration has been slowly under way for more than two years now with enormous difficulties being encountered in making up the complex load-bearing shapes which form the sides and which in some areas have completely crumbled away. A satisfactory method of repair has now been found and progress is now only limited by the amount of money which can be raised.

This restoration is the most complex and thorough of any which has been attempted on a diesel multiple unit. It must succeed because the Gloucester unit is now the only one of its type to survive, and is the only one of this type of construction still in existence. The unit is now approaching 60 years old, and has been in preservation for more than 40 years – it is also 20 years since it last worked a train. There are more details at www.llangollenrailcars.com

Web51118_Small.JPG

56097-a_Small.JPG

The extent of the welding work needed to repair the body.
class%20100%202.jpg

I'm very much in favour of either one of those, and would love to see a restored Class 100 in preservation - the work on pres railcars has been fantastic so far and it's a lovely sight to see so many all together, especially the very throaty 104s!

My chosen 3 would actually have to be all Southern Based. Partially because I'm part Southern part Western Region, but because I feel that all 3 have been underrepresented in the preservation scene so far for the jobs that the performed faultlessly for the many years they were out on the mainline for - The Day to Day commuter units we all took for granted, to providing longer distance journeys comfortably for the best part of 40-50 years. They are:

The CEP 7105 Project.

The fantastic restoration and eventual return to the mainline that is the CEP 7105 project - Working to restore one of the few remaining 4 CEPs left in existence back to an as built condition. It will be one of the very few preserved Southern Region units with a restored Buffet Car and the restoration is including the cutting out of the Swindon Modifications and return to the original position of the former Guards Compartment behind the cabs. Work is starting already in Eastleigh Works, but there's a lot to do - Replacement of the IC70s seats with original BR EMU seats - I've donated a few, Refurbishment of the interior to remove the funky 70s Swindon Lighting and Bright Colour Palate, the cutting out of the sides and flooring to refit all correct braking equipment, refurbishment and restoration of the former Buffet area - another job thanks to the Swindon Refurbishment. All in all, for those associated with the Southern Region, a very worthy cause to see such an iconic unit refurbished, restored and eventually returned to the Mainline.

http://www.cep7105.co.uk/

The Network SouthEast Societies 'Project Commuter'

Again, similar to what I said above about the CEP - Project commuter will see the restoration of the NRM owned but in the care of NSE Groups 2 HAP Unit back into Network SouthEast livery - With the aim of restoring 4308 in time for the 30th anniversary in 2016 of Network South East. This unit was one of many which serviced the needs of the many commuters along the commuter lines of South and South East London / North Kent for the best part of 40 Years, day in day out operating out of Ramsgate and Wimbledon. Unfortunately the HAP Has somewhat suffered over the past few years of it's saving - Not helped by vandalism which has taken out several windows - which in turn has allowed both the weather and nature in, as well as it's storage outside since entry in preservation has allowed the bodywork to deteriorate significantly - which has unfortunately seen the cost of the restoration rise. Ultimately, whilst the plan isn't to mainline the unit (yet), The unit will form part of a new exhibition within the NRM set up to cover the important period in the railway's history, from BR to Sectorisation to Present and railway preservation, via the ins and outs of it's new major section - Commuting. Which as we well know, is a vital part of the day to day uses of our railways. It would also be fantastic, not just as part of this future exhibition, to see such a unit preserved and restored to the same high standard of which each unit was launched in. And there's certainly not many HAPs left in existence either.

http://www.networksoutheast.net/project-commuter.html

And finally, another Southern Region unit, No.413 - The Swanage TC Group

Another former Southern Region stalwart, comfortably providing services to the people of Weymouth and the South West with a fast comfortable service for many years, the TC Group get's my third nomination. With only 2 TC Units left in existence, this would be a fantastic opportunity to help restore and return to traffic this popular piece of Southern Region Rolling stock. This TC will be designated unit number 413 - And is made up of predominantly ex BR TC coaches as chosen by London Underground when they had this unit. Unfortunately, as with many items of rolling stock, open storage has led to detrition as caused by the elements but is now being gradually covered up to take account of this. TC 413 will have a designated home on the excellent Swanage Railway - where it will happily work with two of the finest cromptons around - 33012 and in Multi with 33111, and will be restored to the Swanage Railway's high standards.

http://www.4tc.org.uk/unit/index.php

I hope I've made a good enough case for each of these unique preservation projects, It's been a long day but I hope you'll agree. And help to move the limelight into the long forgotten Southern Region preservation scene. :)

SprinterMan

Established Member
I think we should donate to The Bramley Line who have been fundraising & campaigning since 2010 to reopen the March to Wisbech line. It is achieveable, as most of the infrastructure is still in place and it would be wonderful to see the line operational again.

logo_small.jpg
Route-Map.gif

Adam :D

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I would like to nominate the Aln Valley Railway's very current urgent appeal to raise £60,000 to buy over two miles of railway track at a discount cost.

Two miles of track would cover from Alnwick Lionheart station to almost Branch End - the point where the line meets the East Coast Main Line, alongside which it runs into Alnmouth Station.

Not only is this a worthy cause but if the society can raise the full £60,000 to buy the track it would save them £25,000 compared to buying it through other means. Details explained on the link below.

http://www.alnvalleyrailway.co.uk/index.php/90-support/appeals/288-urgent-appeal-to-raise-60-000

Obviously £60,000 is a lot to raise in one go, so the society has a "sponsor a track panel for £600" scheme, which this £500 would virtually cover, so you would see a tangible result. They'll even give railforums.co.uk a voucher for a free train ride, a certificate showing the contribution and the forum name placed on permanent display at the new Lionheart station.

http://www.alnvalleyrailway.co.uk/index.php/support-us/sponsor-a-track-panel

And if you need any more convincing, this is a line that would serve a real purpose for residents, tourists and enthusiasts alike, as Alnwick is a really lovely town complete with a magnificent castle (with Harry Potter connections) and the finest second hand bookshop in the country which occupies the old Alnwick station.

I have no connection with the society btw other than being on their mailing list, I just think this is the worthiest rail preservation cause around at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.