• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA metro when crossrail comes in

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Honestly I don't understand why they are going to use ''Crossrail'' as a brand or why the Shenfield route won't be branded as LO until Crossrail opens at least. Crossrail is probably the most unimaginative name compered to the Underground network and Thameslink names. Many cities seem to be using this "Crossrail" word for rail projects. Is the next line is seriously going to be branded Crossrail 2? Surly a better name should have been found for this route?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It hasn't though, it's been painted into a 'TfL.Rail' temporary livery, Crossrail will be different again. TfL don't want to tarnish the eventual Crossrail brand by putting it on existing stock.

Is there a picture of this anywhere?
to the north? Shenfield, obviously, Hertford East, Stevenage via Hertford North (no Letchworth from Moorgate after Thameslink, additional platform at Stevenage is being built fro terminating), Welwyn Garden City. Best leave the Midland Mainline to Thameslink, WCML already has LO to Wtford and may get Crossrail to Tring. Chlitern probably best left as a single operation, as is the LTS (C2C) and Crossrail is going to Reading.

You're right though that the local authorities need a strong role in any such TfL takeover.

I ignored the north because was taking about the south. TfL didn't seem to even fight for the Greenford Branch even though its such an obvious line to take. I even expected them to take it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Honestly I don't understand why they are going to use ''Crossrail'' as a brand or why the Shenfield route won't be branded as LO until Crossrail opens at least. Crossrail is probably the most unimaginative name compered to the Underground network and Thameslink names. Many cities seem to be using this "Crossrail" word for rail projects. Is the next line is seriously going to be branded Crossrail 2? Surly a better name should have been found for this route?
"Crossrail" has been the name since the mid 70s!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's interesting. I saw 315837 at Liverpool Street yesterday on an adjacent platform to the one my train I was arriving on.

The doors were open and I thought the livery looked rather tube like - I didn't realise the doors had been painted blue. I'd have taken a quick picture myself but I needed to make a 2 minute connection between platform 2 and 16 - and managed it too :D

TfL have an issue about what to call the Liverpool Street-Shenfield line prior to Crossrail opening. They won't want to call it Crossrail yet because Crossrail is bright and modern running between Reading and Shenfield, not tatty old trains shuttling between Liverpool Street and Shenfield.

Equally Overground doesn't really fit either as it would never be part of the Overground long term.

The solution TFL Rail is a sensible interim solution.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

I believe it has been referred to as "Chelney" line (Chelsea to Hackney)

"Crossrail" has been the name since the mid 70s!

The term "Crossrail" is not necessarily reserved for London - both Glasgow and Aberdeen are the notable cities to have this term used too regarding cross city railway links.

Cheers

Adam

simple simon

Does anyone know when the actual Crossrail trains will be launched?

Or at least a public event like there was with the Thameslink trains to show them to the public and solicit impressions, comments, etc?

Simon

samuelmorris

Established Member
Very quiet on this front, I've found nothing. No interva internal seat layout diagrams or anything. I'm pretty sure the 700 ones have been out for a year or more now, so given that the 345s are supposed to enter service a few months after them... At present I'm rather suspecting they'll be late.

dk1

Veteran Member
It hasn't though, it's been painted into a 'TfL.Rail' temporary livery, Crossrail will be different again. TfL don't want to tarnish the eventual Crossrail brand by putting it on existing stock.

Liking the fresh blue bottom stripe in contrast with the rusting white from the down pipes above.

Established Member
New timetable starts on Sunday 17 May 2015, but the services devolved to TfL don't start until two weeks later due to financial reporting periods. Nevertheless the timetable changes required for devolution apply from 17 May to keep it simple.

Operators 0 - Accountants 1

Looks like a few extra services in the 19:00 hour departing London on weekdays.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...15/05/18/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Just the one between 19.00 and 19.30, changing the frequency from every 10 minutes to every 7-8 minutes. Folks seem to like to go shopping in Westfield after work which has made this a busy period at Stratford.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
Very quiet on this front, I've found nothing. No interva internal seat layout diagrams or anything. I'm pretty sure the 700 ones have been out for a year or more now, so given that the 345s are supposed to enter service a few months after them... At present I'm rather suspecting they'll be late.

I believe the current plans will see a gap of well over a year between the first 700 and 345s entering service - the former is due in early 2016, the latter May 2017.

The latest news on the Crossrail order was just a few days ago, with the awarding of the contract for a dedicated 'production, testing and office facility' to be finished later this year.

Chris

Class 170101

Established Member
New timetable starts on Sunday 17 May 2015, but the services devolved to TfL don't start until two weeks later due to financial reporting periods. Nevertheless the timetable changes required for devolution apply from 17 May to keep it simple.

Passengers 1

Just the one between 19.00 and 19.30, changing the frequency from every 10 minutes to every 7-8 minutes. Folks seem to like to go shopping in Westfield after work which has made this a busy period at Stratford.

Indeed I should count better. However one does wonder how long it will be before an even greater service provision may be needed.

iphone76

I also noticed the two early morning Southend Vic to Liverpool Street switch from a 315 to a 321 and miss out the metro stops. Also the 7.18 from Southend switches to a 321. In the evening, the 1749 metro service back to Southend terminates at Shenfield.

Established Member
I also noticed the two early morning Southend Vic to Liverpool Street switch from a 315 to a 321 and miss out the metro stops. Also the 7.18 from Southend switches to a 321. In the evening, the 1749 metro service back to Southend terminates at Shenfield.

The 07.18 from Southend no longer runs between Southend and Shenfield. Starts from Shenfield as a 315. For those keen to get up early there is a new 05.11 Gidea Park to Liverpool St on Monday to Friday.

There is also an additional 07.20 from Liverpool St to Southend (321) arriving Southend at 08.18, with adjustments to adjacent trains. Some clever diagramming has split out the TfL services without requiring any additional units.

All of which shows that from May there are no more 315 workings on the Southend line. Get out with the camera now.

The 07.18 from Southend no longer runs between Southend and Shenfield. Starts from Shenfield as a 315. For those keen to get up early there is a new 05.11 Gidea Park to Liverpool St on Monday to Friday.

There is also an additional 07.20 from Liverpool St to Southend (321) arriving Southend at 08.18, with adjustments to adjacent trains. Some clever diagramming has split out the TfL services without requiring any additional units.

All of which shows that from May there are no more 315 workings on the Southend line. Get out with the camera now.

I'm quite pleased to be honest I sometimes catch the 04.21 from Wickford and it's quite a drag on a 315 all stations to Ilford then Stratford and Liverpool St, will be nice on a Dusty Bin as will be quite empty and an earlier arrival into Liverpool St ending the mass dash across the concourse to catch the 05.20 Circle Line tube.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looking forward to the AGA Twitter feed from the start. Will take a while for the penny to drop with some commuters & that train faults, cancellations, delays & overcrowding STILL happen as it's the same everything & not all Abellio's fault. The AGA feed can politely redirect them to their new provider & refrain from typing 'could've told you so' :lol:

Wolfie

Established Member
Looking forward to the AGA Twitter feed from the start. Will take a while for the penny to drop with some commuters & that train faults, cancellations, delays & overcrowding STILL happen as it's the same everything & not all Abellio's fault. The AGA feed can politely redirect them to their new provider & refrain from typing 'could've told you so' :lol:

Given that the infrastructure in particular but also the rolling stock will not have changed that is inevitable (and one reason why TfL will not have used any sort of final livery on the trains). Based on my own experience of Silverlink transitioning to LOROL rolling stock will likely be cleaner and very possibly get better maintenance (including interiors!) though. That could well fed through to less rolling stock-caused issues. LOROL quite sensibly left ex-Silverlink stock in Silverlink livery with added stickers to get the new rolling stock/fresh start psychological effect (and it's not worth the expense of reliverying for 18 months either)....

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Given that the infrastructure in particular but also the rolling stock will not have changed that is inevitable (and one reasojn why TfL will not have used any sort of final livery on the trains). Based on my own experience of Silverlink transitioning to LOROL rolling stock will likely be cleaner and very possibly get better maintenance (including interiors!) though. That could well fed through to less rolling stock-caused issues. LOROL quite sensibly left ex-Silverlink stock in Silverlink livery with added stickers to get the new rolling stock/fresh start psychological effect (and it's not worth the expense of reliverying for 18 months either)....

Only seen one 315 so far sporting the new look low level blue stripe. Upper half not touched at time of viewing. I understand that the name Crossrail will at NO time be used around these trains.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only seen one 315 so far sporting the new look low level blue stripe. Upper half not touched at time of viewing. I understand that the name Crossrail will at NO time be used around these trains.

That's correct 'Crossrail' and its roundel will not appear until the 345s enter service in 2017.

It is all explained in the TfL document I linked to in post #35 on the previous page, which defines the TfL.Rail livery.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't see how they can really lose - train fault and 'sorry we inherited old trains from our predecessor, our new trains will arrive in less than 2 years' - track or signal failure and it's a network rail problem. I rather expect TfL's customer service to be better than AGA's too including stuff like not shutting station ticket offices at 6pm on weekdays. Little things like that go a long way to customer satisfaction :)

ScotGG

Established Member
TfL will instantly get more lee-way from many by doing simple things like more staffing, more attractive stations and interiors of trains.

Dan27

The 6.26 from Southend also switches to a 321 from a 315

I live opposite the Southend Victoria sidings, and have noticed a dramatic drop in the amount of 315s based there compared to a year ago.

Established Member
I live opposite the Southend Victoria sidings, and have noticed a dramatic drop in the amount of 315s based there compared to a year ago.

Really? Me thinks you should have gone to Specsavers :shock: ;)

The diagrams haven't changed for years, there are 6 class 315 units stabled overnight at Southend, and will be until the May timetable change.

Class 170101

Established Member

Also an additional 06:03 Ilford to Liverpool Street presumably aimed at reducing perceived overcrowding at 06:00.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G06770/2015/05/18/advanced

Dan27

Really? Me thinks you should have gone to Specsavers :shock: ;)

The diagrams haven't changed for years, there are 6 class 315 units stabled overnight at Southend, and will be until the May timetable change.

Then I guess they're parking them away from what was their regular spot for years then ;)

Sleepy

Established Member
I don't see how they can really lose - train fault and 'sorry we inherited old trains from our predecessor, our new trains will arrive in less than 2 years' - track or signal failure and it's a network rail problem. I rather expect TfL's customer service to be better than AGA's too including stuff like not shutting station ticket offices at 6pm on weekdays. Little things like that go a long way to customer satisfaction :)

<( surely if LU is anything to go by ticket offices being closed down will be the long term aim ?? If the posts about Overground ticket office staff are anything to go by then unusual ticket requirements will become more difficult over time (the current staff will obviously TUPE over) and the good people of the likes of Romford / Brentwood may not feel part of National Rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.