• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sail Rail query from newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zagorkagirl

Hello,

This is my first post so my appologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I'm travelling from London to Holyhead on Monday 21st April on a Sail/Rail ticket from Irish Ferries. I'm just wondering if it's possible to reserve a seat for this journey by paying a supplement at the train station. I can't afford to miss the train as I will be connecting with the ferry in Holyhead.

Thanks,
Zag

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Hi! I'm assuming here that you are travelling with Virgin for the whole rail journey.

You can reserve seats free of charge on all Virgin services for any ticket, and I would imagine that sailrail tickets can also be reserved. Show up at Euston or any other travel centre up to 2 hours before departure and you can make a reservation: the earlier you do so, the better. If you show up less than 2 hours before departure, they cannot give you a reservation.

Hope that's helped!

Zagorkagirl

Hi me123,

Yes, it is Virgin I'll be travelling with. I'll go to the train station early (or perhaps the night before as I'm staying in the area) and reserve my ticket. Thanks for your quick reply - it has put my mind at ease.

Zag

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's worth pointing out that it is 2hrs before departure of the train's origin (London in this case so it doesn't matter), not departure from your station. Also that's on Virgin, other TOCs require booking further in advance and some charge a suppliment (FGW charge £5 if reserved at another time from booking your seat).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There are limited sail-rail tickets available on each ferry thus the earlier you book the more chance you have. You should be able to book these tickets through Irish Ferries or Stena Line aswell but if you can't get one you can still go on the ferry as a foot passenger but it may cost more. There is no booking fee through a Rail office but the ferry companies may charge you a 'handling fee' for your card payment. The ticket through to Dun Loarie or dublin ferryport is £27 sgl or £54 rtn, if you can get it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Great value fares, valid at any time too!

I have, occasionally been unable to get a reservation on the ferry I wanted but it did not matter. They told me that it is incredibly rare that the ferry actually gets full for foot passengers. The train ticket is valid at any time, and with the ferry companies happy to take you on any ferry, they are incredibly flexible tickets.

More people should consider this option instead of flying IMO.

Unfortunately the area around the ferry terminal in Dublin is an industrial dump, and you will need to get a bus, at extra cost (unless you can blag your way on it; they accept some train tickets but the drivers don't really understand which include the bus and which don't). I have seen people attempt to walk it and then after about 5 minutes of setting off, realised it was a bad idea and tried to get the bus to stop to let them on (it didn't).

laseandre

Established Member
Dun Laoghire (sp?) is better IMO because you can just grab the DART straight into the City Centre (ferry terminal is next door to the DART station).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dun Laoghire (sp?) is better IMO because you can just grab the DART straight into the City Centre (ferry terminal is next door to the DART station).

I don't think it is. There are only 2 ferries per day on that route and the tickets can only be used one route in both directions, so in the unlikely event that you have suitable timings on the way there, it's even less likely that the timings will suit on the way back. And you can't change from one operator to another.

Also, I am pretty sure it's a slower route too.

The bus waits for you in Dublin anyway - it's not too bad.

Zagorkagirl

Thanks for your replies.

There is a regular shuttle bus from Dublin port into Dublin city centre at minimal cost (2 or 3 euro). Plus, there are always taxis at the port at ferry times.

Also, as LeSeandre says, the DART (light rail) station is next to Dun Laoghaire ferry port which also has a bus terminal and a taxi rank so you've plenty of options there.

I phoned Irish Ferries and they said you just need to show up on the day to buy sail/rail tickets (they can't be bought online) and it is almost unheard of for a ferry to be full. It's an open ticket and can be used any time within a month.

Dublin to London return for 88euro (£54) is great value. I think if you booked the train fare on it's own you wouldn't get it for that price!

Good luck,
Zag

djw1981

Established Member
Which leads to the question do you have to use both parts?

Could I say buy a London-Dublin sail/rail and get off at chester.... what about as a return? Mind even then £27 one way to Chester isn't bad - or does chester have barriers now?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Which leads to the question do you have to use both parts?

Could I say buy a London-Dublin sail/rail and get off at chester.... what about as a return? Mind even then £27 one way to Chester isn't bad - or does chester have barriers now?
Yes, as long as they don't have barriers you'll get away with it.

If you have a Y-P then a cheaper way to get to Chester at peak time is by purchasing a saver to somewhere like Wrexham, which is valid on any train and around £10 cheaper than the Dublin ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.