• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Well gang I've finally got it settled for where I'm off next! A week tomorrow (11th May) I'm off to Sheffield, after flagging many options I remembered 37038 of this forum posting on this thread about the PSUL curve becoming rather easy to do later this year. Took some doing to find the post again mind, and after eventually confirming the gen on the Supertram website I set about booking tickets.

I'm even treating myself to a First Class day return for the Derby to Sheffield section. I'm going to need the extra comfort after suffering HHVA (Horrifically Horrible Voyager Action) between Birmingham and Derby, and certainly going to want a nicer environment after enduring the Supertram for a few hours and before more HHVA back to Birmingham! I'm hoping the lounges at Derby and Sheffield will be available too, never done either of those. Shame it won't be HSTs on the EMT legs but it could mean some required 222s get underlined in the book so that'll do! Anyone genned up on any complimentary refreshments between Derby and Sheffield?

Also, stay tuned in a separate sector of the forum for "Techniquest's Rolling Review of 2015", I'm expecting to post it in the General Discussion sector. I was going to start it back at the end of January so I'm over 3 months late now but as we're now a third of the way through the year it seems reasonably appropriate to get it going!

The first bit of gen about Shalesmoor crossover was correct and duly done so it should happen as expected. Enjoy the vegging, I'll probably be asleep about 200m away :roll:

Established Member
HHVA:lol::lol: I've got it from Newcastle-Derby and back on the forthcoming Midlands trip:roll::roll:, mind you I avoid them whenever possible, so unless I'm extremely unlucky at least they should be a couple of winners.
Have a good trip, you never know, you may even get to scratch off one of your Heaton 142's if you have enough time. Burger King on the Station, so your dietary needs should be catered for too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh yes, I haven't done Burger King for months so that will be more than welcome! :D

I've been avoiding Voyagers for several months, one reason to avoid Derbshire for me! :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Blindtraveler:2157604 said:
Name me me a member of this forum (other than those who drive them) who doesnt avoid voyagers?

Once upon a time I went out of my way to do Voyagers (and HSTs, I wasn't totally insane!), thankfully that changed in January 2009 after a fantastic day on HSTs via Sunderland, and suffered a Voyager to Birmingham from York. I will still do Voyagers if there is no other choice, or if the other choices were unrealistic for time etc, but otherwise I've never looked back!

My Rolling Review of 2015 is live in the General Discussion of the forum, as of last night. On my phone so can't post a link but it should still be near-ish the top!

Kite159

Veteran Member
220/221 against a 150/0 on Basingstoke - Reading weekday services...

The voyager wins it for me, at least there is leg-room.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
150 all the way for me there!

Hashtag for Monday's Supertram bash has been announced on Twitter yesterday, mobile data signal issues in Hereford this week meant I couldn't post it here until now.

#bashernation is the one for Monday. Not decided on the one for my Southern Daysave trip yet, that's nearly here at last, hashtag to be revealed next week.

As always, the backstory behind the hashtag will be discussed in the trip report, which I aim to have posted on Monday evening. Until then gang, have a good weekend all, it's off to work for me now!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK then gang, here's the tale from today's bash. I'm sure you'll agree it went better than my previous two trips!

11th May 2015 - Tech's Basher Nation

Oh yes, it's here at last! It felt like forever coming around, but it's time for a return to foreign territory, the East Midlands! I was rather excited last night, so much so sleep didn't arrive until around 0300. Not too helpful when it's an 0600 alarm! So it was with heavy eyes that determination fought and won the battle to get me up and out of bed at 0610 [I might have to start using Southern's Rainy Day Guarantee for advance booking on some trips! - Ed] to get the final prep for this one done. Chocolate Pop Tarts get devoured and, since I've left my usual travel mug in my Mum's car, I bring out of retirement my Virgin Trains travel mug for this morning's caffeine attack. By some miracle I'm done and out of the house by 0632, all the while glad it's not a cold morning! As I spent ages on the forum last night, I get started on the trip report on the bus to town. So what's this trip title about, I hear you ask? It's back to pop culture references today, this one is a reference to Kernkraft 400's Zombie Nation [conveniently playing this morning as I type this bit up! - Ed], one of my favourite tunes from the early 2000s. I'd also considered Bashkraft 400 but figured it was not as clear a reference. Not that I'm not going to use that one day, it remains an option! Today also sees a trial run with a new holdall I sourced on Friday morning, using it to get used to one again [having not used one for some years - Ed] ahead of more multi-day trips.

My backpack is not exactly big enough for trips of 2 or more days of duration, although it's been made to do so for a long time. This will mean I can now carry everything I need for my trips, rather than having to leave some stuff at home. Today is also the first day that the council's Additional Rural Transport Fund kicks in. What does that mean, I understandably hear you ask? Well it had been rumoured for some weeks, and finally confirmed last week, I've now got an evening bus again for the first time since 30th August 2014! 2045 for the last one home is much, MUCH, better than 1815, so much more freedom now! That starts tonight [at least it's supposed to! - Ed] so I'm definitely taking advantage of a longer day to go bashing! A couple of forthcoming trips were booked before this was going ahead, so I'll still be finishing 'early' on a couple more yet. It's only happening until March 2016, after which additional funding may or may not exist. Even more reason to use it as much as possible to prove its usefulness to the council then! Risky plus off the 1722 London Paddington to Hereford though of just 15 minutes, that one I'll be organising a standby option for, just in case! Anyway, with all the backstory done, I'm now almost in town. My second coffee fix of the day falls to Costa [that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone! - Ed] and my Coffee Club points are building nicely towards the target as a result.

Fuelled up, it's off to the station to pick up my tickets for the trip, pre-booked to earn Nectar points of course. It all helps cover the cost of Frothmas after all! 153366 and 170516 are on the 0849 to Birmingham New Street this morning, and once the commuting log is updated I get started on filling in my new NREA. By Colwall I'm up to the 47s so take a break. We get held for several minutes at Ledbury, due to awaiting the 0759 New Street to Hereford's arrival off the single line. It's held up by nearly 15 minutes, caused according to the guard by a swan on the line in Worcester! That's the plus onto the 1030 from New Street out of the window then! Or not, as it turned out the slack in the timetable was enough to get us in on time. I comfortably make it onto 220002 for the run to Derby, which apparently started at Winchester today. Time for some tunes as we eventually leave 4 minutes late. I was going to get a coffee from the trolley, but she didn't come through until near Burton on Trent so decided to give it a miss! The HHVA [Horrificially Horrible Voyager Action - Ed] endured, I see the 1105 to Sheffield is a little late so I go for it. It's dud 222017, but I can't be bothered to go for the First Class lounge so jump on. Wow how nice is First Class these days on EMT? In MML days it was much less bright and cheery on 222s, this is far superior! Service is with a smile and a lovely, friendly, passenger-focused First Class Host. OK so the coffee isn't grand, but it did the job nicely.

It's also quite a small cup [still significantly bigger than those in Belgium! - Ed] which was to be expected. The orange juice also goes down well, and while I take the shortbread I keep hold of it for later. The journey's over before I know it, and I step off very pleased I spent the extra £5.60 to enjoy First Class between Derby and Sheffield. It's been way too long since I enjoyed the luxury on an inter-city journey, rather looking forward to doing so again in the future! I make my way to Upper Crust to meet up with 37038 from the forum, and we're soon off to the tram station after an ATM move. A Bus and Tram DayRider is soon got for £3.90 from the on-board conductor, and Supertram 112 is a winner for the journey to Meadowhall South, the day's first shack attack. For those unaware, due to engineering works trams are running between Halfway and Herdings to Meadowhall via the curve that avoids the city centre route. It's a PSUL move normally, but today is the first day of a several week long blockade on the bridge towards the city centre, on which track replacement is being carried out. It's only a very short curve, but it's easy to get for a good while now. 123 is a dud on the ride back down the line to Valley Centertainment, with 110 being a score on the insect leap back up to Carbrook. It really is a short distance, a matter of a few chains! 112 is soon back for the trip to Attercliffe, yet another shack attack. 102 is a score on the trip to Arena/Don Valley Stadium, and thankfully the driver on 110 waits for us to run over and jump on!

Nunnery Square is next, and a short wait provides winner 115 to Woodbourn Road. 114 is also a winner back down the line to Hyde Park, where we soak up the sun before winner 117 arrives for the BSB to Cricket Inn Road. With the Meadowhall line shacks done, which was pleasing enough, I'm over the moon at having scored 106 for sight on Nunnery depot. My last Supertram for sight at long last! A 12 minute wait gets us back on 115 to Sheffield Station, where a PNB is declared necessary, before walking into town and to Cathedral. Of course, the railway natter is still flowing, both of us discussing trips past and trips planned. 107 is a dud from July 2012's visit to the Supertram network [yes it really was that long ago! - Ed] for our trip to Bamforth Street, with a short wait for winner 111 to Langsett/Primrose View. In no time we're carrying on to Hillsborough Park with winner 118, walking the fairly short distance to Leppings Lane. That cleared the shacks on the Supertram network for 37038 which no doubt was quite pleasing for him! 118 is back to take us to Hillsborough, where we break for the winner Spoons, literally right next to the westbound platform! Two new and enjoyable beers added to my Untappd, now on 54. After the refreshment break, 107 takes us to Infirmary Road, which 37038 hadn't had on his list to do but didn't remember it. Winner shack for me too, indeed all of them bar Cathedral, Hillsborough and Sheffield Station have been winners for me today.

Before we know it, winner 108 takes us to Cathedral for the walk back to the station. Sadly there's not quite enough time to do the 1549 to St Pancras, so after a PNB it's onto the 1555 to Penzance instead. Yep, more HHVA! "You're in First Class to Derby", I hear you say, "You'll be fine!" you all continue. Well I would have been, but I forgot it's Frothbucks [sorry, Starbucks - Ed] coffee on XC. What rancid nonsense, I've had value coffee with more flavour than that! Don't get me started on the size of the cup either. FGW never used to be that stingy when I used to do First Class regularly, and their coffee used to actually taste like coffee. I say used to as it's been many moons since I did FGW First Class, so long I can't remember it! Soft drinks include Coke so that much is OK. A pack of stem ginger biscuits is welcome for later too. The ride on 220029 is not great though, and I swear XC First Class in 2004 was better than this [yes it has been that long! - Ed]. All in all, I'm not feeling that happy with XC's provision, although if it had been on an HST I bet it would have been better! The swap to Standard Class is made at Derby, more sensible to stay on board to New Street on this and do a supply raid there. After an hour and 11 minutes of HHVA I'm more than ready to alight! Supplies got from Tesco, and I see Navigation Street Bridge is open again.

Welcome back to that I say, it's been absolutely ages since that was last available! Ticket barriers are also coming to New Street, according to posters I saw. That's going to be, quite simply, bizarre! The ECS is late into New Street for the 1749 to Hereford, no doubt caused by the train fault which means we're shortformed tonight. 3 coaches instead of 4, although I have no idea if that means a pair of 170/5s, a 170/6 and a 153 or what normally. Naturally as a result it's full and standing, with me standing to Bromsgrove where the train empties most significantly. I get on with the trip report, as I haven't touched it since before Birmingham this morning! 170630 is on the 1749 New Street to Hereford today, my highest mileage 170 by some way. By the time I get back to Hereford I'll have had 716 miles off it! It takes until Worcester Foregate Street to get caught up with the trip report, and now I finally have something to eat, the first food since I had my ham and stuffiing rolls on the train up this morning! After the cheese and onion crisps, I finish the book for now and before I know it I'm back in Hereford. First things first, time for a chippy move, as I have a good while until the bus home yet!

Chicken curry and chips for £2.60 from the chippy had, it was back to the station to watch the action. I note the 1722 Paddington to Hereford arrived on time, could have done that then. I make my way to the bus stop and join a different Solo to the usual one that works the evening runs, good news for me as it's a lowie! So ends a very enjoyable day, and it was a pleasure to finally meet you 37038!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounds like a super day ;)

I look forward to having some EMT 222 FC later in the month when I head up to Sheffield to do that curve (and have a day on a South Yorkshire Travelmaster)

Established Member
great read tech, as usual, very promising day indeed, surprised you never hit Burger King on Sheffield station, thought that was right up your street cullinary wise.
Congrats on clearing the trams too, I have a staggering total of 5 of them:lol::lol::oops:, plenty time for them, though i may get 1 in 3 weeks time if I'm eagle eyed or damn lucky.

Good day and good company and yes I was rather pleased with the final outcome :D Lucky I got Infirmary Road done as it turns out I hadn't had it!

Excellent report as well!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good call indeed then with Infirmary Road, that would have been most frustrating when you got home and found out it was needed after all otherwise! I also see what you mean about the number of Spoons in Sheffield, having ticked off yesterday's one!

Trains are more interesting than trams in my eyes, it has to be said. Even so, the trams need to be done eventually, so every now and again a tram bash is on! I still need 11 of Sheffield's trams and plenty of Supertram shacks, so I'll be back!

Burger King wasn't done on this occasion as I wasn't hungry at the time. It'll no doubt come in handy when I do a South Yorkshire Daytripper/Travelmaster (whatever it's called) in the coming months.

Next trip is only 5 days away, when I'm off to the West Coastway. Yep, it's finally time for a Southern DaySave! Shack attack is the name of the game as much as possible, with the additional aim of getting as many 313s and 377s in as I can too.

Hashtag for that one was decided yesterday morning, it's #basherboi and of course the logic behind that will be explained in Monday's trip report!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like you had a great trip on the trams of Sheffield. I am heading up there on the 16th so I might try and get the PSUL curve in.

EDIT: Is the curve the one between Sheffield and Hyde Park?

Last edited:

andyb2706

Great read. I do think trams get a bit of a raw deal compared to trains, but I do agree with you and I do prefer trains.

Looking forward to your report on the Southern day, thinking about it I need to get down there again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
fishquinn:2165147 said:
Sounds like you had a great trip on the trams of Sheffield. I am heading up there on the 16th so I might try and get the PSUL curve in.

EDIT: Is the curve the one between Sheffield and Hyde Park?

It is indeed, board a tram to Meadowhall from Sheffield Station tram stop and Hyde Park is 2 minutes or less away. Adult Daysaver for bus and trams is £3.90 (buy on board), so for you should be £1.95.

Might as well do it while you're there!
andyb2706:2165246 said:
Great read. I do think trams get a bit of a raw deal compared to trains, but I do agree with you and I do prefer trains.

Looking forward to your report on the Southern day, thinking about it I need to get down there again.

Glad you enjoyed the read, trams do seem to get forgotten by the majority of enthusiasts, yet it can be great fun!

All being well the trip report from Sunday will go up on Sunday night, the same planned for Monday. As usual tweets all day, starting from around 1000 on Sunday.

crehld

Established Member
A great day in Sheffield and good to see things are back to form. Looking forward to your trip report from the West Coastway. I used to live I Portsmouth for a bit so familiar territory for me!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It is indeed, board a tram to Meadowhall from Sheffield Station tram stop and Hyde Park is 2 minutes or less away. Adult Daysaver for bus and trams is £3.90 (buy on board), so for you should be £1.95.

Thanks! Will definitely head there.

noddy1878

Established Member
Sounds like a good day was had. I alway have good intentions to do trams but the draw of trains is always greater. One day I'll get round to having a proper attempt on them.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As promised, today's trip report!

17/05/2015 - Tech's a Basher Boi, Day 1

Finally, the first visit to the Southern network this year is here! After an uneasy week at work, and a hectic Saturday, this trip was certainly well earnt in my eyes! After getting home and resting for a while, it was time to pack the bag and de-rancify, enjoying a couple of new beers in the process [Wye Valley's HPA and Asda's Whitechapel Porter, for what it's worth - Ed]. With that all done, it was basically waiting for sleep to arrive, although even after a tiring day it takes quite a while to get to that point! The alarm goes off at 0800 and after a bacon sandwich and coffee [Douwe Egberts Pure Gold, of course! - Ed] breakfast, as well as preparing a lunch box, it was time to leave and head to town, via a lift from Mum as there's no bus service on Sundays annoyingly. 150284 and 153362 are on the 1009 to Fishguard Harbour, much to my surprise, I'd have loved to get some DBT all the way to Fishguard! Nevertheless, I'm on 172342 which is now only one stage away from being a Super Dud, it being on the first eastbound train of the day, the 1006 to Birmingham New Street. Been quite some time since I did a 172, especially for any proper mileage! Time to bang on some tunes and get this trip report started now. "So what's this trip title about?", I hear you all silently ask. It's another pop culture reference, this one is from Avril Lavigne's Sk8r Boi. I don't know how it came up on a related video recently on YouTube, but sure enough it did and I couldn't resist using it here. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio all those years ago when it first came out [remember kids, this was way before YouTube was created and some years before broadband Internet too! - Ed], good times. Be warned my next trip title is lined up to be another musical pop culture reference too!

It's an absolutely glorious day, making for a nice cruise through The Shire. It's perhaps appropriate to have that Electrostar family bing-bong before announcements today, since I'll be spending plenty of time later on 377s! It certainly made me smile when I heard it, half-expecting it to welcome us to the Southern service to Brighton :lol:

I spend the journey to Bromsgrove, by which it's gone overcast, counting up my required shacks and doing so by TOC. The light rail lot can wait for now, I need a break, but wow those numbers really added up fast! Full details will be posted in the Shack Attacks 2015 thread, but for now let's just say it's going to be a lot of years up north! A large Costa coffee is sourced during the interlude, and I find it's 350118 and 350372 on the 1214 to London Euston. Ooh nice, a power socket will be more than useful! Shame it wasn't 350369 to finish my LM requirements, but hey hp! All the way to Berkshamsted I have YouTube going [that's going to hit my mobile data hard! - Ed], and it's there I see 350369 in the middle of the 1402 to Birmingham New Street. Much grr! Kite159 is texting me regular updates during the trip, which has got me going from doing the West Coastway to hitting [not literally! - Ed] the East Coastway! The plan all day had been to do the 1422 from Watford Junction, however at the time of typing it looks most unlikely I'll make it in time. This service also calls at Harrow and Wealdstone, if I make it in time for the Southern service I'll bail there and have a nice easy change I think. If not then I'll carry on to Euston and jump on the Tube after all. RTT tells me to stop panicking, I have a +4 at Harrow and Wealdstone, and it's winner for everything 377706 much to my delight! The journey to Clapham is soon over, and I stop to visit Sainsburys Local for a big bottle of Pepsi Max for £1,alao visiting Costa for a coffee move. To my dismay, the 1504 Victoria to Brighton is double duds 377162+377139! Crammed full to East Croydon, where I can finally move to find a seat and drink my coffee. After consulting my NREA and texts, I decide to stay on Brighton to go for some 313/2s. I also score a couple of 387/1s on the way for sight which was most welcome. 5 hours and 57 minutes after leaving Hereford I'm in Brighton, long journey but most enjoyable. The 1617 to Seaford is in the hands of dud 377164, which I take to Falmer to score the shack. Having scored 3 of the 5 313/2s I needed for sight on Lovers Walk depot I'm rather pleased with how today is going!

The trip report is brought back up to date and the sun is shining, couldn't ask for better weather today! I meet up with Kite159 on 313210, winner for everything, for the trip back to Brighton, and I now only need 323215 for sight! We initially board the 1700 to Victoria, which was being held due to awaiting a member of train crew, as it was a pair of winners for me and called at Wivelsfield, a shack I need. All of a sudden the calling pattern is changed, now the first stop is Haywards Heath and no longer calls at a number of places. An announcement is eventually made on-board to tell us of the changes, and to board the 1714 to London Bridge instead, which was dud 377521 and winner 377502. We didn't know what we were supposed to do, being on Southern Only tickets, but decided to go for it anyway. Poor Kite159 didn't need either 377/5, his bad luck continuing. I sure didn't expect to be getting any 377/5s scored today! Off we go and one of the more awkward shacks on the Brighton Main Line is now done. Fortunately for Kite he needs it, and we flag a pair of 377s towards Eastbourne and instead go for the Victoria service, which was dud 377130 and winner 377448. RTT to the rescue, and we bail at Gatwick Airport. Before too long winner for everything 377626 leads dud 377623 on a Brighton working, now 3 more 377s to see [377509/377614/377708 - Ed] to clear the class for sight again! Someone left their driving licence on the table in our coach, which a lady alighting at Three Bridges was going to hand in.

We're off to that other awkward shack on the Brighton Main Line, Balcombe. Fortunately an announcement tells us in plenty of time we need to be in the front coaches to alight there [something the PIS boards at Gatwick failed to do! - Ed], good thing that announcement was there! It's not long before a Victoria train arrives to take us back north, and to my disgust it's formed of triple [yes you read that right! - Ed] duds 377407+377449+377151! Another 10 minute run, after again consulting RTT, is had to Gatwick Airport, where we see an unusual sight [well, for me anyway! - Ed] of 377150+377101 on a Gatwick Express service from Victoria! We flag one pair of 377s on a fast to Brighton, and that was a good call for me as it's double winners 377410+377155 on a Portsmouth Harbour and Littlehampton service. This one splits at Worthing, not something I'm used to that! It's also very busy, and after Burgess Hill we finally get seats. It takes a while to decide the best move now as it's getting on and I have base camp to get to, plus a food move is becoming quite necessary! I however still want to score another shack, and Emsworth is required so I end up staying on that far, once RTT confirmed the move back was acceptable. I say farewell to Kite after an enjoyable evening of train talk, and I only have 8 minutes to wait for the 2022 to Brighton. Sadly it's dud 377114, but it'll do nicely. It's going to take until 2118 or so to get to Aldrington as it is, so I need to hurry up and get to base camp before the 2200 check-in deadline! I use the time to get the trip report and moves book up to date, devouring a Cornish pasty and some crisps I brought with me for tea.

Arrival into Aldrington is at 2120 and 15 minutes later I'm at base camp. Check in is swift, 45 notes paid for the room, and I get the WiFi on [after all, it's included in the room rate and I dread to think how much data I've used today! - Ed] and post this trip report. The usual evening away procedures are done, and a very enjoyable day out is wrapped up. 6 winner 377s, 4 winner shacks and 1 winner 313 had. With several required sights also had, and getting down to 96 [from 102 - Ed] 377s to get and 64 Southern shacks to get, it's been rather productive! Bring on tomorrow!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hopefully Day 2 of the trip will also be productive! If the 1403 Euston to New Street produces a winner 390 then it certainly will be a good 'un! I'll find out how it goes in a matter of hours, hoping to get at least another 4 required shacks and at least 4 more winners out of it all!

Kristofferson

Another good read Tech, as I said on Twitter, hopefully you get to experience some 377/7 noise in wet conditions today!

Would have given you a shout to catch up if you were at Clapham around the same time as me today, but I left there at 0752... Bright and early as always [emoji14]

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad you've all enjoyed the read so far, and hope the tweets are proving worth reading too. The weather's horrible today, so it's going to be, shall we say, interesting doing shack attacks today!

Trip report from today will go live either by 1730 or 2000, depending which train I get back from Birmingham later.
OK then, here we go with Day 2!

18/05/15 - Tech's a Basher Boi, Day 2

After finally falling asleep just after 0100, I'm up again 6 hours later. A look out of the window reveals a very overcast day and rather strong winds. A complete contrast to yesterday's glorious weather, it's sure going to make the walk to the station interesting! De-rancification time and preparations for departure are made, and I feel a lot better after that shower! Downstairs for a breakfast, which I hope is as nice as it was when I was last down here [Halloween 2014 - Ed], a major highlight of the stay! No need to worry, I had an awesome breakfast and I'm now well set up for the day. I've still got ages until the DaySave becomes valid, so I return to the room to have a brief catch-up on the forum before I head out. Travel mug filled with coffee, it's off to a Sainsburys Local to stock up on vital supplies, in this case at least that's Pepsi Max and a meal deal for later. £5 lighter, although the bag is now rather heavy, I decide to walk to Hove station. Winner 323217 is had to Brighton, where I find winner 313212 on a Hove shuttle so it's back we go! A nice easy connection onto winner 377446 on a Victoria service is had, and I choose to bail at Preston Park, forgetting the Littlehampton wasn't calling there, oops! A Thameslink service rolls in, but is 377151 and 377461. Both Southern 377s, but as it's announced as a Thameslink service I flag the opportunity to score 377461.

It turned out to be a good move, as I score double winners 377419+377110 back to Hove. 93 more 377s to get now! 313212 is had again back to Brighton, with a plan now starting to formulate, something I've not done in years...I make it onto the 1032 to Ashford International, which was winner 171722. I've not had a 171 in quite some time, as I trek east I genuinely can't remember the last one right now! Off to the day's first shack at Polegate, and I'm in the declassified First Class section surrounded by off-duty Southern staff! The seats are beyond uncomfortable, nothing like my usual comfort on 170s! As a result I'm rather glad I'm not on this for long. It's still raining here and I end up on dud 377453 to Lewes, a long-time dud shack but going for another one at Southease. Winner 313215, my last one for sight, takes me there and in heavy rain I comfortably make it over to the other side for winner 313202 back to Lewes. 377121 taunts me as it's a winner but I don't think I can get it to Brighton and still make it to London in time for my train home. A check of the timetable reveals a safe +11 onto the 1225 to Victoria, getting there at 1327 or a tighter +5 onto the 1219 getting me there for 1313. Both give me enough time to cross London over to Euston, but obviously the 1313 arrival into Victoria is the better call. So I score 377121 to Brighton, and of course I'm hoping for a winner 377 to London.

Just as importantly, I would love a coffee now as my last one was finished at 0946! That will have to wait until I get to Euston I suspect, no Costa anywhere nearby sadly down this way. Right time arrival into Brighton and an easy connection onto the 1219 fast to Victoria, first stop East Croydon. Good news as it provided winner 377120 with dud 377475. There's a nasty odour on this 377, but I block it out and get some tunes on. 91 377s to go now, they're slowly coming down! We crawl through the Three Bridges to Gatwick section, good news as it turned out as I happened to spot EasyJet's G-EZDL fly over us! I know without checking that's a winner for sight, an unexpected bonus! Better still as we pass South Croydon, as I get 377614 for sight and clearing those for sight. Just 377708 to see to have cleared the Southern fleet for sight now, which is beyond pleasing! 377509 is my only other 377 to see, hopefully I'll bump into that one when I get on a Thameslink bash. 3 minutes late into Victoria, and l eventually make my way to the Victoria line after soaking up the atmosphere. Good timing for me to go down as it turned out, as I score double winners for everything 11034+11033! Worth every penny of the £2.40 contactless payment for the trip to Euston, I'm certainly very pleased with how today's going! The disruption in the South Hampstead area is still going on, and before I know it boarding is commencing. Will I be lucky and get a winner 390?

As it turned out, no. Dud 390044 [going by my NREA I've only had it once before - Ed] is on the 1403 to Birmingham New Street. The 1400 to Manchester Piccadilly was 390130 which I needed, never mind they'll come my way eventually! I have to kick someone out of my seat, not her fault though as the seat reservations weren't showing in coach E. I don't think she was too pleased at now not being able to charge her phone up! Off we go right time, slow lines all the way to just north of Wembley Central, then we have a bit of speed until just before Bletchley, when it's a crawl until well after MKC. Certainly my +22 at Hereford is looking tight now! If needs be I'll go for that winner Spoons 5 minutes walk from New Street, but we'll see what happens. In the end we arrive at 1541, 14 down, and I go via Navigation Street bridge to platform 10, managing to find a seat with not much effort surprisingly. 170509 is on the 1549 to Hereford, good news as according to my notes it was only on 110 miles before today! Time I got on with my moves book on this move now, I'm well behind with it.

That's done eventually, and I tot up my winners for 2015 so far. A rather decent 319 of them and we're not even halfway through the year yet! Arrival back into Hereford is at 1715, and it's been almost 5 hours since my light lunch so I'm off to the chippy or KFC shortly. I decide to post the trip report first, then go from there.

12 winners today (including 2 LU sets) and 2 new shacks, quite pleased with that performance! I do need to finish processing my mileages but that will be done soon. I promise I am eventually going to return to including statistics in these trip reports, just I don't know when yet!

Nothing now for 13 days, when I head to West Yorkshire. Rather hopeful I have a productive trip there as I did down south! Stay tuned for a big update at some point tonight from me on the Shack Attacks 2015 thread!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It seems several of the usual suspects in this section have been doing London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway metals with the Southern Daysave during the first half of this year (myself included).

My intention for next time would be for me to go via Epsom to get the Bognor Regis branch, and also to do the East Grinstead and Lewes dead end lines, and also Redhill - Tonbridge if the timings are friendly.

PS For my Valley Lines bash in July, it is my intention on the way down to Cardiff to go via Birmingham and Hereford, and crank out a couple of 175s on the way from Hereford to Cardiff. As I am originally from the West Midlands, I realised that the farthest west in the direction of Hereford coming from Worcester I've been is Great Malvern, which was 25/26 years ago.

In peace

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.