• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggest a Railway Preservation project to receive a cash donation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mvann

I suggest the night mail project at ferry meadows on the nene valley railway. Details and news are at www.nightmail.org . The aim is to provide cover and display areas for the vehicles and other archive material the group have acquired over the years.

Trainfan344

Established Member
An excellent offer! :)

May I please suggest the Swindon Panel Society, who, if you weren't aware, are working towards a goal of preserving the physical panel from Swindon PSB and wiring it up to a computer simulation to provide a truly interactive (and somewhat unique) railway heritage experience.

A building is being constructed at the Didcot Railway Centre to house the panel, and the cash would undoubtedly be highly beneficial to the project as the closure of Swindon PSB is finally drawing near (the Uffington to Rushey Platt section was disconnected last weekend).

The society's website can be found here: http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/

Swindon Panel Society.

http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/

Cruelly robbed last time such a poll with donation was carried out on this forum. ;)

Beaten to it by Temple Meads. I would've been surprised if we'd gotten this far and it hadn't been mentioned by him! :P

Temple Meads

Established Member
Beaten to it by Temple Meads. I would've been surprised if we'd gotten this far and it hadn't been mentioned by him! :P

Indeed, that would be the day hell freezes over! ;)

Seriously though, for anyone wondering I'm not an important part of the SPS (distance and lack of funds put paid to that), I just help them out with the odd admin task, etc.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Swindon Panel Society.

http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/

Cruelly robbed last time such a poll with donation was carried out on this forum. ;)

Yes the project has a 'je ne sais quoi' about it. Recently there was a discussion about BRUTEs and a train of those might have been a good cause. In any event, something less kettle-ish appeals to a wider electorate such as RailUK Forums.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

theblackwatch

Established Member
Please remember this is a thread for suggestions, not on agreeing with people. The voting will come later.

fgwrich

Established Member
Small update to my post on the Broadway Station Project - As of last Wednesday, the station footbridge templates and hoops have gone off to a local factory to have the new metalwork cast, bridge foundations are about to be cast and work to shotblast the main span is all about to start as well. So if you want to see a full and proper GWR station recreated, this is the one to follow (and please donate if you can!).

http://broadwaystationgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions we've got a good variety of interesting projects. Please see this thread for the poll and make sure you vote for the project you think the forum should support!

Whilst most of the suggestions are eligible unfortunately not all of them were so we've had to exclude some of them. Please see below for those that we've left out and our reasons for doing so:

• Campaign for the restoration of the Beverly - York line, Weedon to Leamington reopening - these aren't preservation projects, they are each more about a national network reopening.
  • 47 at Washwood Heath - no details provided nor have we been able to locate any.
  • Pacer Preservation Society - does not appear to have a specific appeal/project underway.

We would like to thank everyone for putting forward the suggestions and we look forward to announcing the winner of the poll shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.