• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cactus' UK & European rail travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Great Bedwyn is a nice little village, brings back memories of my youth when my family had a boat and used the canal around Bedwyn as a summer time base.

I think I will do a Bedwyn rounder before the summer is out (seeing as a Grateley - Bedwyn is valid via westbury due to being shortest route, although the number of HSTs which call at Bedwyn is very limited)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Been way too many years since I went to Bedwyn, it is a nice area that's for sure. Turbo thrash on some high speed running too, oh that is nice. I'm thinking I know what I need to do on 26th May now...

cactustwirly

Established Member
Been way too many years since I went to Bedwyn, it is a nice area that's for sure. Turbo thrash on some high speed running too, oh that is nice. I'm thinking I know what I need to do on 26th May now...

The Turbo thrash was really good!
I have a soft spot for the B&H line

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We arrived into Reading

The train arrived into Reading
Sounds like a fun evening out there, even if it was on turbos. Just two little bits - you can't arrive into a station. You can arrive at, or in, but not into. Sorry to point it out, but it's my pet hate <D

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm planning to do a trip at the end of July, but I'm struggling to decide where to go!

Option 1 is a Southern Daysave to clear the Coastway lines, ie Gatwick Airport - Bognor - Brighton - Seaford - Hastings - Gatwick Airport.

Option 2 is a Weymouth Circular, ie Reading - Southampton - Weymouth - Westbury - Swindon - Reading.

Which should I do?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Very Little Sun, No Sea but big Hills 29/06/17

Now that my exams have finished, I've finally got some free time so I planned a jaunt to score some track.

It went a bit wrong at the start, the train I intended to get (the 1012) was delayed, and the train in front was cancelled due to a train failure.

Eventually 165113 + 165121 arrived and it got into Reading at 1030. Which left plenty of time to swing by boots to get lunch.

The 1052 was also delayed, and eventually arrived at 1058. 43191 + 43035 were doing the honours today

43191 at Reading by litecactus, on Flickr

The train arrived at Oxford and a mass exodus occured, (yes I'm doing the cotswold line), well maybe that was a exaggeration, but the train was only half full.

It was all dud track to Worcester, so I found some music to listen to (Daft Punk - Random Access Memories was the album of choice) for the long drag.

I grabbed a Latte from the 'Larder' after Kingham, and after Evesham we were only 1L, because of all the padding in the timetable (yes there's 10 minutes dwell time at Evesham)

Eventually we arrived at Worcester Shrub Hill

IMG_20170629_124757 by litecactus, on Flickr

The majority of passengers alighted at Worcester, leaving just 3 people in the whole carriage.

The journey to Great Malvern is quite fast. But there is another long dwell here to allow a 170 to clear the single line.

After Great Malvern the train winds round the Malvern hills which are quite scenic.

IMG_20170629_125916 by litecactus, on Flickr

Though on the approach to Ledbury the train crawls through a tunnel at what feels like 5mph. There's another 10 minute dwell at Ledbury even though there's nothing booked to pass. It turns out the Cotswold line timetable has more padding than a three piece suit.

After Ledbury the train gently trundles along to Hereford (no more than 50mph)

43191 at Hereford by litecactus, on Flickr

43191 at Hereford by litecactus, on Flickr

43035 at Hereford by litecactus, on Flickr

My first 175 and first ATW service is 175112 which is taken along the scenic marches line to Church Stretton.

175112 at Hereford by litecactus, on Flickr

175112 at Church Stretton by litecactus, on Flickr

Church Stretton has bigger and more scenic hills than the Malverns! But it was a bit drizzly here!

IMG_20170629_143828 by litecactus, on Flickr

I walk to the Co-Op to get some chocolate and some drinks and I arrive back to the station 1/2 and hour later, 175107 took me back to Hereford.

175107 at Church Stretton by litecactus, on Flickr

I had 50 minutes to kill here, so walked into town to get some pictures of the cathedral and River Wye. Hereford is nice, but looks a little bit deprived. It wasn't as nice as Ludlow or Worcester, but probably as nice as Bridgnorth or Gloucester.

IMG_20170629_160356 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170629_160752 by litecactus, on
Flickr

I made it back to the station at 1630, intending to get the 1639 to Worcester which is a booked 150 diagram. However to my delight 170501 appeared instead!

170510 at Hereford by litecactus, on Flickr

The train was surpsingly busy, and I made my + 4 connection at Worcester with a minute to spare!

The 1728 was in the hands of dud 180106
It was an uneventful ride, though I managed to score Shipton as a new shack.

Shipton Station by litecactus, on Flickr

At Charlbury there was yet more padding (surprise, surpise) so I streched my legs.

180106 at Charlbury by litecactus, on Flickr

At Oxford hoards of annoying Americans boarded, and took up all the bandwidth on the wifi so I could no longer listen to music on spotify.

At Reading I had a +2 connection, the 1933 arrived at the same time as the 180, so I had to run over top platform 14A, I made it with 1 minute to spare!
It was 165116 BTW
I managed to get a nice action shot as both the trains departed at the same time!

180106 leaving Reading by litecactus, on Flickr

At Twyford I had to fight my way off the train, since it was the Henley regatta week! There were hoards of posh gits waiting to get on!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's not padding when you're waiting at a passing point!

The 1022 Paddington to Hereford doesn't come into Ledbury all that far behind the previous Birmingham to Hereford train, and I'm not sure how it works but that single line between Ledbury and Hereford is long with no passing points until Shelwick Junction. The fact is the service runs even though common sense would turn it at Worcester!

There aren't many bashers who would be delighted to see a 170 vice 150, certainly not me! Some parts of Hereford are nice, some aren't as you discovered, but it could have been worse. It's not Leominster! :lol:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Deja Vu... 01/07/17

This was the day of the Pembroke Dock HST forum meet.

I caught the 08:33 from Twyford formed of 165126 + 166214 the 6 minute journey was uneventful, though I was pleasedm about the 166 (they seem to be getting rarer in these parts)

I caught the earlier train because I wanted to get lunch from boots, and the next train was at 08:47 which was a bit tight in case it was delayed (it's rather a long wait for the next train..;))

Whilst I was waiting I saw nat67, on the 0854 Hereford service. I presume he was on a Cherwell Valley ranger.

The 0912 was on time and it was in the hands of ex EC 43053 and 43126

43126 at Reading by litecactus, on Flickr

I took up a seat in Coach A (a rareity for me, since I'm usually in D, E or F) for the shortish journey to Bristol Parkway. We were held outside (Bristol Parkway) for a few minutes because of a points failure at Temple Meads.

The service was named the 'Pembroke Coast Express'. Here's the window label:

IMG_20170701_123405 by litecactus, on Flickr

At Bristol Parkway I met up with yorkie, Mojo, Ainsworth74, Causton & Jake F, and made my way to coach L (my first time in proper 1st class)

bungle965 and Starmill were unable to make it, since their train from Manchester was delayed.
Common sense should tell you to leave plenty of time for a connection, especially if the connection is infrequent, and you're travelling a large distance to meet the connection.

Since there was a large dwell time at Swansea, I managed to take a picture of the other power, which ironically was named after one of my 5 University choice, the University of Worcester.

43053 at Reading by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170701_115428 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train reversed and now the interesting part began!
I think the West Wales line is one of my favourite lines, IMO it is better than the Devon Mainline via Dawlish.

Sea view near Pembrey by litecactus, on Flickr

Sea view near Pembrey by litecactus, on Flickr

Towy Estuary near Ferryside by litecactus, on Flickr

This was dud track for me since I went on the direct Carmarthen service just over a year ago (the weather was a bit better this time).
Ironically I had the other EC powercar on that service 43056, hence the title.

The train reversed again at Carmarthen and proceeded to Whitland. After Whitland the train diverged onto the branch line.
This was quite a contrast with the Reading to Bristol leg. The train trundled along at about 30mph along jointed track. This was the part I enjoyed the most.

After passing (and exhanging tokens with) a 150 at Tenby, the train continued onto Pembroke Dock.

Pembroke Dock by litecactus, on Flickr

I walked to the nearby ASDA and bought some fruit (Strawberries to be exact) because the 'Express Cafe' didn't have any.

We caught the 1455 back which stopped at the more minor stations such as Lamphey and Kilgetty. The train had to stop at pretty much every crossing to sound its horn.

Some people were mesmerised at the sight of a HST at Tenby. It isn't very often that you get a HST in these parts.

The train reversed again at Carmarthen and continued back along the seafront, this time stopping at Kidwelly and Ferryside as well as the usual stops.

The train reversed again at Swansea and proceeded to Cardiff where bungle965 eventually joined us.

The train proceeded onto Newport where the journey went awry. Due to an earlier fatality at Hayes, the train was held at here. Trains were also stacked at Swindon, Didcot Parkway and Reading.

43053 at Newport by litecactus, on Flickr

The relief lines (at Hayes) reopened and the train departed 25 minutes late.

The train arrived at Bristol Parkway. Yorkie, bungle965 and Jake F alighted here for their train north.
However the driver of our train was unable to take the train forwards to London (I think he ran out of hours) so we were held until a relief driver came. We eventually departed Bristol Parkway 55 minutes late.

The train made up 5 minutes by the time it arrived at Reading, so was only 50 minutes late.

IMG_20170701_205107 by litecactus, on Flickr

I bid farewell to the other forum members. I hoped to get the 2106 home, however this was cancelled. There were many other cancelleations and delays throught the station.
The nest train was the 2121. This starts at Reading, however the train hadn't arrived yet. So I took a picture of the sunset.

Sunset at Reading by litecactus, on Flickr

2121 came and went and there was still no sign of the train. The 'on time' message was changed to the dreaded 'delayed'.
The 2133 arrived and thankfully that was on time. Unusually the train was routed onto the main lines.
I arrived back at 2143 which was 1hr 19 later than planned. I had to fight my way past the hoards of reggata goers. There must have been a fight because the place was swarming with the BTP.

Except for the ending, the trip was very enjoyable. I think is was one of my favourite trips that i've doen so far! If I could, I would be going on next week's service! :D

My previous South Wales adventure to Carmarthen is below (I've added some more photos so you can directly compare the weather ;))

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2611875&postcount=28

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A great day there (except the ending). Did you notice how there was a gap between the buildings, exactly in line with the railway line at Pembroke Dock? It's quite funky.

cactustwirly

Established Member
A great day there (except the ending). Did you notice how there was a gap between the buildings, exactly in line with the railway line at Pembroke Dock? It's quite funky.

Yep, we also saw some track over what used to be a level crossing on the road to ASDA

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a pleasant little day trip to the end of the world, also known as Pembroke Dock ;)

Shame on the delays coming back but at least you got home

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Common sense may tell you to allow plenty of time for connections, but maybe they did and it wasn't enough? These things happen sadly.

Those crossings are ungated, non-lighted farm crossings. Due to the lack of gates etc you have to stop, sound the horn then proceed at 5mph until the train is over the crossing and off again. Back in the days of noisy engines in HSTs it was so much more fun doing an HST on that line! I did it recently but it's just not the same with MTUs!

Iskra

Established Member
An interesting trip and the Pembroke Dock line looks well worth a trip. I know HST won't be serving it much longer, but what (if anything) will be taking over instead?

cactustwirly

Established Member
An interesting trip and the Pembroke Dock line looks well worth a trip. I know HST won't be serving it much longer, but what (if anything) will be taking over instead?

We were talking about this en-route. Perhaps one of the 2+4 HST GTIs that are going to be used on the Taunton - Cardiff services.
A 2 car 150 wouldn't be able to cope with the crowds, the train is popular with daytrippers from Swansea & Llanelli going to Tenby.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm feeling lucky... 06/07/17

This was the day of my first valley lines day ranger (I know its really called 'Explore Cardiff & Valleys'), I had snapped up some cheap advances in the recent sale.

However when I got to Twyford station there was a signal failure on the Up Main meaning that HSTs were being diverted on the Up Relief line delaying my train to Reading in the process.
Finally 165106 arrived on the 0834 to Reading, which was running around 15 minutes late.

At Reading I went to boots for the usual meal deal, and headed for platform 9 for the 0911 towards Swansea (the same train as Saturday)
The previous Cardiff trains was running very late and only arrrived a few minutes before my train. Most people joined this train so it was very busy when it left Reading

Green 43041 and LA15 (the green refurbished set) arrived around 5 minutes late. Congestion caused by other services caused the delay to increase to 13 minutes by Swindon. This mean't that I would miss my +9 Treherbert connection (booked 150 and booked via the city line)
I altered my plans and aimed for the 1116 to Rhymney instead.

The train arrived at Cardiff at 1106, and I headed for platform 6.

IMG_20170706_111003_01 by litecactus, on Flickr

To my pleasure a double 158 turned up ;) I wish! it was actually 142073 + 142083

IMG_20170706_111625 by litecactus, on Flickr

After being deafened by the bend to Queen St, I realised that the ATW examples are much better than their Northern counterparts.
A 142 is still a 142, and still the worst train in the UK (143s are more tolerable)

The line to Rhymney reminds me of the peak district, it was quite scenic especially after Bargoed. I really enjoyed the journey (rolling stock aside!)

IMG_20170706_120757 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170706_121809 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170706_122041 by litecactus, on Flickr

There was a 15 minute layover here, before the train headed back down the valley to Cardiff. This was when the weather started to get unpleasant, it was quite a hot day with no aircon!

At Cardiff I originally planned to get a train to Coryton, but this turned out to be another 142. However I saw a 150 coming round the corner on a Merthyr service, so I ran over to platform 5 to get it.

I took 150231 to Pontypridd. This is by far the worst place (so far) for clientele with "chav" types drinking at 2pm on the platform!

IMG_20170706_135604 by litecactus, on Flickr

I might hate the 142s, but at least they have some legroom unlike the 150s!

I had a 10 minute wait here for the Rhondda line service, which was formed of 150259 this was unrefurbished and very tatty and very dirty (worse than the northern 150s)

The 40 minute journey to Treherbert was quite scenic which reminded me a bit like snowdonia with all the pine trees.

IMG_20170706_144356 by litecactus, on Flickr

I took the 150 all the way to Cardiff Queen Street, where I changed for 153312 to Cardiff Bay

IMG_20170706_155636 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170706_160315 by litecactus, on Flickr

Next I took 143616 + a 142 to Penarth (sitting in the 143 obviously)

IMG_20170706_163447 by litecactus, on Flickr

I took this back to Cardiff Central. 143624 took me to Cardiff Queen Street for 150281 back to Central.

I didn't want to risk a run to Coryton because I had less than an hour till my Paddington train, and I didn't know how long it would take.

I decided to walk around the city centre.

Here's a castle for backontrack:

IMG_20170706_172730 by litecactus, on Flickr

I got slightly lost and had to run back to the station! I got to the platform with 5 minutes to spare!

I was very lucky here, the train was initially announced as delayed before being cancelled because of a signal failure.
Eventually 43071 + 43180 arrived on the 1826 ex Swansea service half an hour later. thankfully it wasn't too busy and I managed to find a decent seat in coach B.
The train manager announced that the train would be held at Cardiff for a long period of time, so anyone who didn't need to travel should travel tomorrow. The line between Reading and Paddington was completely closed so the train was likely to be serverly delayed.

IMG_20170706_185209 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train eventually departed 34 minutes late. The train was held again at Newport and Bristol Parkway, so by the time it arrived at Swindon it was 83 minutes late.
There was a long wait so I took a picture of the arriving 150 on the adjacent platform.

IMG_20170706_205940 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train eventually left Swindon 111 minutes late. It reached Reading 109 minutes late.

IMG_20170706_215413_01 by litecactus, on Flickr

However I had to wait over 45 minutes for a train to Twyford, because there was no driver for the 2217 service.

By the time I reached my house it was almost 11pm, 186 minutes late (I should have arrived at 1939)

I've now banned myself from going through Cardiff since it leads to disaster!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A huge shame it went badly towards the end of the day but it sounds like a good one was had overall. I agree that the legroom on the ATW 150s is dire.

Fancy a trip to Cardiff tomorrow? ;)

Established Member
Just caught up with these Cactus, some good reading. The trip to Knottingley brought back memories of my youth, getting almost sea sick on the horrid 141s, in that frankly awful, green n white livery from Leeds (now I dislike the pacers, a lot! but them rail buses were worse).but we'd bite the bullet because Knottingley Depot on a weekend would be heaving. Standing on the hill trying to pick off the mass number of 56s and later 58s, not forgetting the gronks and odd 37 and 47 parked up on weekends made it worthwhile. My mates and I always tried to get round but the foreman always said, no.

Some good trips in there Cactus. Thanks for sharing.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Something a Little Different 11/07/17

I was looking forwards towards this trip the most because I was going to an area I have never been before.

I was on the 0919 train from Twyford which is the last peak train (it arrives before 10am, so an off peak travelcard from Twyford is not valid on this train)
It is also booked to run fast from Maidenhead, and booked a HST! :D

winner 43086 + dud 43031 arrived right on time, and I took a seat in Coach B

IMG_20170711_091739_01 by litecactus, on Flickr

It was around half full when it left Twyford, where it trundled along the relief lines (being overtaken by a few HSTs) to Maidenhead.
The train had a 15 minute dwell here to await a path on the main lines.
After Maidenhead the train was very full with almost every seat taken.
The train crossed over to the mains at Maidenhead East jct for a non stop run to Paddington, arriving 20 minutes later on platform 1.

IMG_20170711_095355 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170711_095614 by litecactus, on Flickr

A busy Bakerloo line train, and a quiet Met line train took me to Liverpool Street.
I had approximately 30 minutes here so I withdrew some cash (my card has been a bit faulty recently) and headed to boots for the usual meal deal, noting the 50p difference in price compared to Reading!

I boarded winner 90004 "City of Chelmsford" which took me to Ipswich

IMG_20170711_104350 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train was very quiet, I almost had the whole carriage to myself!
After Shenfield I got myself a latte from the Cafe Bar.
It wasn't as good as the ones on GWR, but much better than the disgusting instant coffee you get on VTEC.
The train arrived into Ipswich on time, and I headed to plaform 1 for the 1217 to Lowestoft.

IMG_20170711_120928 by litecactus, on Flickr

It was winner 156409 with Ride the Wherry lines branding.
IMG_20170711_120907 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train departed on time, the 48 mile journey took approximately 90 minutes.
The East Suffolk line has quite a lot of jointed track! Which reminded me of my childhood journeys on the Thames Valley branches (which are now all welded rail)
The East Suffolk line also goes through some pretty towns and villages.
Then the train arrived at Lowestoft, which wasn't so nice, I was glad I only had 5 minutes here!

IMG_20170711_134402 by litecactus, on Flickr

The same train formed the 1348 departure to Norwich across the Norfolk broads.
The line was full of jointed rail, semaphores and a few swing bridges.

IMG_20170711_140544 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170711_140930 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170711_141130 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train was delayed slightly because of a level crossing fault at Buckenham, and a signal fault at Reedham.
I still had 25 minutes until the 1500 service back to London departed, so I took a few pictures.

IMG_20170711_143751 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170711_143755 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170711_143849 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170711_144115 by litecactus, on Flickr

BTW 37s make an awesome noise when they depart! (much better than the 68s!)

Winner 90005 "Vice Admiral Lord Nelson" took me to London.
I bought myself another Latte outside Stowmarket.
At Ipswich I hit the rain, I expected it since the clouds around Diss were lookin quite dark.
The train arrived into Liverpool Street on time, and I caught a very busy Hammersmith & City line train to Paddington.

IMG_20170711_165905 by litecactus, on Flickr

At Paddington I got myself some ginger ale and a yorkie bar, and waited for 20 minutes for the platform of the 1805 to be announced.
The commuters on this train are pros! They guessed the platform before me, I blinked and before the announcer could even mutter platform 3, the stamped had started!

IMG_20170711_175405 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winners 43195 + 43036 took me non stop to Twyford.
The train was full and standing when it left Paddington, and the majority of passengers alighted at Twyford, meaning that I had to queue for the footbridge.
Though I managed to get this shot of the train departing when I was on the footbridge.

IMG_20170711_183158 by litecactus, on Flickr

It was a very enjoyable day, and for once I actually arrived home on time!

Kite159

Veteran Member
You must be one of the only bashers to go to Norfolk and not catch the 37s ;)

Sounded like a good day with some action by my favourite 156 (points to avatar)

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
You must be one of the only bashers to go to Norfolk and not catch the 37s ;)

Sounded like a good day with some action by my favourite 156 (points to avatar)

The 37s were down in Lowestoft at the wrong time... (I'll be sure to get them when I go to Great Yarmouth)

409 is now cleared for 80 ish miles, it isn't as high mileage as 499 + 456 which are cleared for 96 miles!
I really like the GA 156s, they have better seats than the Mk3s!

Why do you like 409 so much?

Established Member
A very good read there Cactus, I'm staggered too, you didn't do the 37s:o, however if time constraints, meant you couldn't ride them, so be it. In truth, I'd have planned them in the journey but who am I, to tell you, how to plan your journey or how to spend your money, doing so.

37's are a joy to travel behind, especially in this day and age and even more so, if you've got an enthusiastic driver, who's not scared to pull back the power handle and open them up. I'm a big Cat fan too but I agree, they'll never sound as good as a syphon but they do sound fantastic nonetheless.

Your lucky, when I headed down the line from Lowesoft to Ipswich, I had to suffer, the drone of a Turbo. Northern's 156's always seem a bit more thrashier than everyone elses, dunno if its just because I've had more of them, than any other TOCs 156s.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A fun time had in Anglia by the sound of it. I've never been on an AGA 156 but knowing the seats in the MK3s I doubt they'll be better ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
A fun time had in Anglia by the sound of it. I've never been on an AGA 156 but knowing the seats in the MK3s I doubt they'll be better ;)

The MK3 seats were obviously designed for midgets because there's very little legroom.The seat bases are at a weird angle which gives me backache.
I think they're my least favourite seat!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Deepest Darkest Surrey... 19/07/17

I've had some relatives down for the weekend, I had to carry their luggage onto their train from Reading to Worcester, whilst I was in Reading I decided to do a line that has been bugging me for some time.

I bought a North Downs line day ranger at Twyford, and caught the delayed 1113 to Reading formed of 165111

I got some lunch from boots, and headed to platform 5 for the Redhill train (via the Worcester train)
It was formed of 165122, much to my disappointment (I was hoping for a 166)

IMG_20170719_115812 by litecactus, on Flickr

I caught this to Guildford.

IMG_20170719_125053 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winner units 456004 + 456017 took me back to Wanborough

IMG_20170719_125518 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170719_130737 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winner units 456012 + 456003 took me back to Guildford after a 10 minute wait.
The 456s sound very similar to the 319s, I obviously sat underneath the motors and the thrash was brilliant.
The less said about the suspension the better... The track quality in the Wanborough area isn't very good,so there was some quite violent sideways jolts, the class 165/6s suspension coped much better.

I walked to the Friary Centre at Guildford for a PNB, I had to explain what a ND Day ranger was to the gateline assistant before he let me out though! (the guard on the previous 456 didn't bat an eyelid)

I arrived back in Guilford for 166217 to take me to Redhill

IMG_20170719_134722 by litecactus, on Flickr

This part of the line is quite scenic, since it goes through the Surrey Hills AONB. There were a number of foot crosssings for which the train had to sound its horn.

The train had about 10 minutes turnaround at Redhill before heading back to Reading

IMG_20170719_142355 by litecactus, on Flickr

I took 166217 back to Wokingham, where I changed for winner units 450115 + 450563.
I regretted this decision because the journey was torturously slow and full of screaming school children!

IMG_20170719_154421 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20170719_161202 by litecactus, on Flickr

I sprinted across to platform 13A for the 1617 to Twyford which I made with 30 seconds to spare!

The line is fun, but has no patch on the Berks & Hants line to Bedwyn!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a fun time apart from the screaming kids and the incompetent barrier staff. I think I've read that Guildford are particularly bad for that kind of thing.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a good day but indeed Guildford are horrendously bad.

I showed my ALR to the staff member and he started asking me what the ticket was, why it said FGW Web Sales as the issuing station, how that can't be right, gesturing to take it off me.

Having been awake since 5am and on the sleeper the previous night, I politely told him to naff off!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.