• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Morecambe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
The best price I can get for a day return to Morecambe from York and via Leeds with a YP railcard is:

York - Leeds day return £6.95
Leeds - Morecambe day return £13.95

Which saves around £9 compared to a York - Morecambe return ticket for this Saturday (16th).

Is there a cheaper ticket(s) available? I know I can go via Manchester or Preston but would prefer via Leeds.

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Leeds-Morecambe is actually a reasonable price, which reflects the service level I guess. York-Morecambe at £30 is an absolute joke and an example of the sort of pricing that has caused the general public to lose confidence in booking at ticket offices (who, to be fair to the staff in the ticket office, are not allowed to offer split tickets where through tickets are available) and turn to sites like this.

However in your case I think you've already worked out the best combination!

It would be cheaper to split at Micklefield, but that does limit you to stoppers. Mind you, the group stations rule can come into play for a certain useful ticket, I'll send you a PM about that.

Valid routes between Leeds Group and Lancaster Group are on the following maps:

NC
NC+MH+TP
NC+TP
NW+GM+WY
NW+TP

Established Member
Thanks for your help Yorkie, a ta for the PM. Will have a try on Saturday.

Established Member
Further to this thread, I was going from York - Selby today, but missed the direct (and cheaper) train, so instead decided to go via South Milford. I asked for a York - Selby return but not direct, and was told I would have to buy seperate tickets. Then I asked for a York - South Milford return (and bought a South Milford - Selby return on the train.

At York booking office I asked if this was valid via Leeds. Woman behind the counter said no. On the train to Micklefield I asked the conductor if it was valid via Leeds. He said no. I also asked him if there was an easement, he said no.

On return from Selby, the Selby - Leeds train was late, so I asked the conductor if I could go to Leeds and change there, he said that should be OK. It turned out that the Leeds - York stopper was also late arriving at Micklefield, so I could have caught it, but I wasn't to know if it had already left.

No ticket check between Leeds and York so didn't have a problem there.

Basically I have two questions:

1) Is the condition/easement only for one way?
2) Can I get a direct train to/from Leeds to/from York instead of a stopping train?

Cheers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Further to this thread, I was going from York - Selby today, but missed the direct (and cheaper) train, so instead decided to go via South Milford. I asked for a York - Selby return but not direct, and was told I would have to buy seperate tickets. Then I asked for a York - South Milford return (and bought a South Milford - Selby return on the train.
Get a return to South Milford, you can then use the return portion from South Milford to Selby and break your journey there.
At York booking office I asked if this was valid via Leeds. Woman behind the counter said no.
She said no without looking it up? Perhaps you could ask her if she is familiar with the Routeing Guide.
On the train to Micklefield I asked the conductor if it was valid via Leeds. He said no.
Again, without looking it up?
I also asked him if there was an easement, he said no.
Ask if he's heard of group stations.
On return from Selby, the Selby - Leeds train was late, so I asked the conductor if I could go to Leeds and change there, he said that should be OK.
That's correct.
It turned out that the Leeds - York stopper was also late arriving at Micklefield, so I could have caught it, but I wasn't to know if it had already left.
It's valid to go into Leeds, you are not compelled to change at Micklefield. And it takes time to change at Micklefield! Have you seen the recent topic about this?
No ticket check between Leeds and York so didn't have a problem there.
I've never been questioned on a South Milford ticket via Leeds, and if I was then I'd ask them if they have heard of the Routeing Guide and to look it up because it is valid. If they cannot confirm that it is their problem, in the same way that if someone on Oyster travelling on a train in London with a valid Travelcard or PAYG loaded, and encounters a guard/RPI without a Oyster reader it's the inspector's problem and they have to assume it is valid if they cannot prove otherwise.
Basically I have two questions:

1) Is the condition/easement only for one way?
2) Can I get a direct train to/from Leeds to/from York instead of a stopping train?

Cheers.
See this topic .

National Routeing Guide said:
GROUP STATIONS
Some stations are grouped together to improve interchange between trains
by offering customers access to a wider choice of train services and station
facilities. A customer may travel via any station in such a group, including
doubling back, provided that the group is on one of the permitted routes
between their origin and destination stations. This extended availability is for
interchange purposes only and does not apply where the origin or destination
stations are part of a group.

Leeds Group consists of Leeds, Cross Gates, Garforth, East Garforth & Micklefield.

Double backing between Micklefield and Leeds is permitted on any ticket that permits travel via Micklefield.

If anyone claims to know if a route is valid without looking it up in the Routeing Guide, then they are either very knowledgeable and familiar with it, have looked that exact journey up recently (the RG does change frequently), or alternatively they're just blagging it, trying to fob you off! More than likely the latter, as the general public would usually be easily fobbed off, not having a clue about the RG. It's quite scandalous really. That's why it's so important to know your rights. If you do not know your rights, some staff will fob you off, lie to you and erode your rights. Don't let them!

Established Member
Thanks for that Yorkie, I remembered some of the stuff from a few weeks ago so that's why I asked at the ticket office to see what they would say. However next time I'll make sure I have some evidence as well.

As a last question, is York - South Milford valid via Selby, as I was told I could only change at Micklefield. Againas you have said the changing time York - Micklefield - Selby is 5 minutes at best, and Selby - Micklefield - York is 1 minute. I timed how long it took me and it was around 3.5 minutes, and I walk quite fast.

TIA

General Zod

Is there not a TPE 16-26 Railcard special offer for tickets between York and Manchester Piccadilly ? You could combine this with the Northern Rail Lancashire Day Ranger ( £11.90 ) to Morecambe.

sonic2009

Established Member
i know it's only 30p saving.

but

york to skipton day return £11.15
skipton to morecambe day return £9.45

total = £20.60

Established Member
Is there not a TPE 16-26 Railcard special offer for tickets between York and Manchester Piccadilly ? You could combine this with the Northern Rail Lancashire Day Ranger ( £11.90 ) to Morecambe.

Probably is, but I wanted to go on the Leeds - Morecambe direct train. Might do this the next time I go.

sonic2009 said:
i know it's only 30p saving.

but

york to skipton day return £11.15
skipton to morecambe day return £9.45

total = £20.60

Just checked to see if this was right, and it is so very good!. If I had known this at the time I would have done that, so will keep it for future reference.

General Zod

I'm not sure about this but :

York - Blackburn ( via Burnley MR) NT : CDR = £12.10
Blackburn - Morecambe NT : Anytime Day Return = £7.90

Total = £20.00

York - Blackburn - Morecambe involves going via Leeds and Burnley so could you not buy the above combination of tickets and use them together on the Leeds - Morecambe train ?

A60K

I'm not sure about this but :

York - Blackburn ( via Burnley MR) NT : CDR = £12.10
Blackburn - Morecambe NT : Anytime Day Return = £7.90

York - Blackburn - Morecambe involves going via Leeds and Burnley so could you not buy the above combination of tickets and use them together on the Leeds - Morecambe train ?

That won't work as the train doesn't call at the station where you change from one ticket to the other.

General Zod

That won't work as the train doesn't call at the station where you change from one ticket to the other.

Ah I see :( I got confused with the Leeds - Morecambe ( ex York - Blackpool North) via Blackburn and Burnley MR ( stopping at both stations) before continuing onto to Preston where you changed for Lancaster for the Morecambe connection. The direct train takes an alternative route stopping at neither Blackburn / Burnley..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.