• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online booking

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm aware of two types of online booking sites:

The trainline: Virgin, FGW, TPE etc
Mixing deck: East Coast, London Midland

Is there any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yep.

TOCs using thetrainline model:

Virgin
CrossCountry
TPE
Scotrail
East Midlands
FGW
ATW
c2c
Grand Central
Hull Trains
First Crapital Connect
NXEA

Assertis systems:

Chiltern
WSMR
(My train ticket)

Using WebTIS developed by ATOS:

LM
Southern
Southeastern
East Coast
Chiltern

Northern don't do Web sales. Of all the systems offered, Assertis are good on WSMR, WebTIS is good all round on all of those sites listed. The drawback with Assertis is for WSMR is it doesn't show other operators services unless part of a connection, and you ask it to.

Chiltern uses a confusing mix; the WebTIS deck is offered to select services and prices; Assertis then takes control of the booking as it offers mobile phone ticketing and print at home.

That was a Quote from a thread we had during last month about this - that is the best help I can bring.

Hope it Helps! :) ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
So have all the trainline ones now removed the free P&P option and only now offer special delivery?

Do many now offer free P&P?

You can enjoy free P&P on our site, free 'Ticket on Departure' and no credit/debit card fees.

For peace of mind you can also choose Registered 'siged for' delivery at £2 which insures you up to around £40, and Special Delivery at £7 for higher value insurance.

Hope that helps!

David

pemma

Veteran Member
You can enjoy free P&P on our site, free 'Ticket on Departure' and no credit/debit card fees.

For peace of mind you can also choose Registered 'siged for' delivery at £2 which insures you up to around £40, and Special Delivery at £7 for higher value insurance.

Hope that helps!

David

The problem is London Midland site, like East Coast doesn't give me the journey options I want. On the other hand trainline sites do but they all seem to charge.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The choice is yours! Pay the fees, avoid them, collect your ticket from a TVM or book at a ticket office! Personally, I'd try and avoid the postage fees myself, but if I had to pay to get the tickets I want, I suppose I'd have to bite the bullet if I didn't live near a station. What journey do you want to make? Perhaps someone on here may be able to help?

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
The ticket I want should be available at the station ticket office but for ticket reservations I try to do them online because my local station, operated by Northern, is understaffed and has no ticket machines and then is quite a walk from my home to buy the tickets in advance.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm lucky, I use the train 5 days a week for work, so I can just use some of the waiting time to buy tickets!

Have you tried FGW? I'm sure they didn't charge postage last time I used them - IIRC that was in January!

I've just gone through the process of booking tickets to Plymouth, and no postage charges came up before the payment screen.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
FGW have removed the First Class post option which seems similar with other sites using the trainline booking engine. The two options now are collect at station or pay for Royal Mail Special delivery even for journeys weeks in advance. I know it used to be the case that First Class post didn't appear if you didn't have 5 working days between your transaction and your outward journey.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Is there less than 5 days until your travel date? I used dates in July just now!

pemma

Veteran Member
Is there less than 5 days until your travel date? I used dates in July just now!

I tried yesterday when there were 7 working days on both FGW and Virgin and first class post didn't come up, but if I try 14 it does come up for first class post so they've obviously require you to buy your tickets further in advance for post now.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
aside from the fact raileasy charge for postage and/or a credit card fee, they don't even have all fares available, e.g.

This is from Wednesday this week,

Nottingham-London International (CIV), travel date 19th July

Raileasy £59
Eurostar Domestic Sales £9

Raileasy advertise themselves on seat61.com as being able to do these tickets

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I tried yesterday when there were 7 working days on both FGW and Virgin and first class post didn't come up, but if I try 14 it does come up for first class post so they've obviously require you to buy your tickets further in advance for post now.

I usually buy well in advance of a week, if it's later than that I tend to use the station! I think you might have to collect on the day (if possible where you are) or pay the postage :(

A60K

aside from the fact raileasy charge for postage and/or a credit card fee, they don't even have all fares available, e.g.

This is from Wednesday this week,

Nottingham-London International (CIV), travel date 19th July

Raileasy £59
Eurostar Domestic Sales £9

Raileasy advertise themselves on seat61.com as being able to do these tickets

Looks like they're offering the Euro Saver, but not the Advance options (although I don't think any other sites offer any London Intl (CIV) tickets).

pemma

Veteran Member
jcollins>> what journey are you trying to make?

I've sorted a ticket for my journey now. However, there are a number of journey options where your site and similar ones like East Coast come up with no fares available. Some of these instances it is because the ticket is not available, but should ideally default to another one that is available e.g. Wigan Wallgate to Manchester STNS does not exist and your site can't find it but Wigan STNS to Manchester CTLZ does exist and is valid for the same journey.

As a general note with London Midland's site. It does operate the same as East Coast's. However, on East Coast if your ticket doesn't arrive in time you have to phone an 0870 number which is expensive on mobiles whereas London Midland give you a standard landline number so it's standard rate on a mobile.

Another problem I have noted with London Midland's website is that if you register and then try and log in on another occasion it makes out that you don't have an account and you have to create a new one.

And if you do purchase off the site surprising you get the ticket type that conductors print off rather than the usual ticket office type. Although saying that the one time I have been issued that type of ticket at a station it was Hartford which is a London Midland station.

Thanks for the info jcollins.

The tickets that you get online are the same type that you get from our ticket offices.

Regarding the problems logging in, the confusion is that we have two different databases running on our website at the moment, and the ticket purchasing one doesn't talk to the other one!

Currently integrating both, but that may explain the issue you had.

Crossover

Established Member
Probably not of a huge help now but may to someone in the future - it seems First TransPennine Express do free postage - some family members have just bought tickets online and got them delivered for free

Status
Not open for further replies.