• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

furryfeet

one other point.

the web site states that
the two together railcard cannot be used to purchase
"most rover and ranger" tickets ....

Can anyone state which rovers / rangers
a) are included
b) are excluded ?

Once again this points to something which has been rushed out into use without full thought ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
one other point.

the web site states that
the two together railcard cannot be used to purchase
"most rover and ranger" tickets ....

Can anyone state which rovers / rangers
a) are included
b) are excluded ?

Once again this points to something which has been rushed out into use without full thought ...

Surely it'd be the ones that already offer Railcard discount, like the ALR.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have just received my conformation email from the ASA, they will investigate and reply in full as soon as they can.

TP

dvboy

Established Member
Having read the leaflet which has come through my door this morning promoting the card, I don't think you have to live in the B, CV, DY, WS or WV postcode area to purchase the railcard at a station, just that you can only buy it from a station in those areas.

I note the website's list of trial stations excludes stations like Bromsgrove which is in the B postcode area but there is no ticket office.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It does seem that the trial is limited only by where the railcards are actually sold.

It does say "Although the trial means only people who live within the trial postcode areas can buy the Two Together Railcard, the good news is that train companies are seriously looking at introducing it on a nationwide basis." but that doesn't mean you can't go to the trial area from outside does it!

It surely just means that if you were outside, you'd not (generally) know about or be able to buy the card.

I may email to double check, and if confirmed, pop up to Birmingham one day to get one for me and the wife.

Actually, I may not email as that could get them to change the wording. I'd rather know from someone who got one to see if they ask for proof of address (or indeed just refuse to issue one if you give your address as outside).

Two Together Railcard Trial

On the 5th September 2011 the Two Together Railcard trial was launched.

The Two Together Railcard is a new 1-year Railcard for any two named people aged 16 or over, who travel together on the train.

For the purposes of the trial the product is only available to purchase from a limited number of staffed stations within the West Midlands area:
Birmingham (B)
Coventry (CV)
Dudley (DY)
Walsall (WS)
Wolverhampton (WV)

A full list of where you can purchase a Two Together Railcard is available here.

However, once a Two Together Railcard has been purchased Railcard holders can use the Railcard to buy rail tickets to travel anywhere in Britain.

The Two Together Railcard is on sale from the 5th September until the 19th May 2012. Priced at £28, the Railcard will be valid for 1-year from the date of purchase and give Railcard holders 1/3 off of their rail travel.

Railcard holders are able to use their Two Together Railcard to buy Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance fares across the National Rail network.
Market Research

During the 1-year validity period, market research will be undertaken with Two Together Railcard holders to find out about how the Railcard is being used and for what types of journeys.

Although the trial means only people who live within the trial postcode areas can buy the Two Together Railcard, the good news is that train companies are seriously looking at introducing it on a nationwide basis.

The research will be completed in 2013 and the train companies will then make a decision on the future of the Two Together Railcard.
Tell us what you think

We would love to know what you think of your Two Together Railcard, where you have travelled and how much you have saved. Please email [email protected]

Update: If you try and book online it does say you must live in the following post code areas:

To participate in the trial you must live within the following postcode areas of the West Midlands:
B - Birmingham
CV - Coventry
DY - Dudley
WS - Walsall
WV - Wolverhampton

Which I suppose makes sense, but what about turning up at a station?

If all else fails, who fancies allowing their qualifying address to be used to take delivery of a railcard and then send it on?!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Perhaps Sam and Mark would be happy to allow their addresses to be used so as to allow others to save as much money as they have?

When buying at a station you will need to complete the application form, but there will be no proof of address required.

nedchester

Established Member
My point was, at a station I don't think you need to.

I think the 'Manual' says applicants need to have an address in the West Midlands but it will not be checked. Not sure if you'd get away with presenting an address in London or some such???

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think the 'Manual' says applicants need to have an address in the West Midlands but it will not be checked. Not sure if you'd get away with presenting an address in London or some such???

I'm sure the postcode would be a giveaway. I think they mean they won't check if you actually live at the address given...

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'd rather get a card online (as it will be a better card, with both photos printed on it) if someone could take delivery and pass it on.

Anyone here within the area that would be willing to take delivery (and no doubt receive a renewal letter, if it can be renewed)? I'd tick the 'no other contact' boxes.

graham43404

Time to go through our families and friends and see if we have anyone who lives in those postcodes :lol:

firespire

What about -
Mr A Smith
A Green Narrowboat
On the Birmingham Canal Network
Birmingham
West Midlands

Presumably if someone found out "Mark and Sam, Walsall" turn out not to be from Walsall and are publicised as using the card that might mean everyone can use it.

wintonian

Established Member
How about

New Street
Birmingham
West Midlands
B2 4ND

:lol:

I tend to use SW1 0AA (I believe it is now SW1A 0AA) when signing up for thing online when I don't want to give them my address.

I have tried using Royal Mail delivery offices in the past but most postcode checkers can't find the addresses.

Wolfie

Established Member
How about

New Street
Birmingham
West Midlands
B2 4ND

:lol:

In the spirit of Mark and Sam, heroes of many on this site:

Bescot Stadium,
Bescot Crescent,
Walsall,
WS1 4SA

....home of Walsall FC!!!:lol:

snail

Established Member
I tend to use SW1 0AA (I believe it is now SW1A 0AA) when signing up for thing online when I don't want to give them my address.
Ah, but that's not in the trial area!

I tend use the address of the company if I don't want them to bother me.

@wolfie - nice one!

I'd tick the 'no other contact' boxes.
Is it not a condition of the trial that you complete a questionnaire on your use of the card?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've done many trials and discovered that most people don't ever answer the questions/surveys they're asked to - and they can't be forced to!

I am sure ATOC will get whatever results they want from this trial. :)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just an update, the quote from Sam & Mark has been removed and has been replaced with "Buy a Two Together Railcard, and you'll receive 1/3 off rail fares for a whole year." however no report from the ASA as yet :smile:

TP

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I sure did :) will upload it here:

EDIT:

ASA Complaint.jpg

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This from the ASA today:

Thank you for your recent complaint about a testimonial featured on www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk. I understand you felt it was misleading.

We have looked at the website today and note that the testimonial concerned has now been removed. The ASA’s role is to ensure that current advertising is correct and our powers extend to ensuring that ads are either withdrawn or amended to bring them in line with the CAP Code. As the advertiser removed the testimonial prior to our intervention there is no further action we can take and we are satisfied that the current webpage is unlikely to mislead consumers to their detriment.

Thank you however for bringing this to our attention.

They can't do anything as the testimonial has been removed prior to their intervention, which is fair enough, this is probably due to someone complaining straight to ATOC, it may not be but we won't find out :smile:

Cheers,

TP

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
this is probably due to someone complaining straight to ATOC, it may not be but we won't find out :smile:

Or it could well be that someone from ATOC saw this thread and decided not to risk an ASA judgement.

wintonian

Established Member
This from the ASA today:

They can't do anything as the testimonial has been removed prior to their intervention, which is fair enough, this is probably due to someone complaining straight to ATOC, it may not be but we won't find out :smile:

Cheers,

TP

We also suspect that ATOC may have been reading this forum for some time. ;)

Edit MikeWh got there first:)

Status
Not open for further replies.