RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 27th April 2012, 09:25   #1
daniel3982
Member
 
Join Date: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default The Olympics/Advanced Fares

Does anyone know if advanced fares have been suspended for services into London for the period around the Olympics?

I'm wanting to book from Penzance to Sheffield on Thursday the 19th July, which is within the 12 week booking period now, however on both South West Trains and First Great Western it's not giving me the option of any advanced fares on these days which makes it substantially more expensive! For example the week before on the Thursday the same train I want to get from PNZ to LON is only 15...

Fares on the 17th are cheaper but I noticed on the South West Trains website they're advertising the selling of Olympics tickets as being available now for the period from the 18th July until September, is this why I can't get the tickets I want.
daniel3982 is offline  
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 27th April 2012, 10:19   #2
swt_passenger
Established Member
 
Join Date: 7 Apr 2010
Posts: 7,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3982 View Post
Does anyone know if advanced fares have been suspended for services into London for the period around the Olympics?

I'm wanting to book from Penzance to Sheffield on Thursday the 19th July, which is within the 12 week booking period now, however on both South West Trains and First Great Western it's not giving me the option of any advanced fares on these days which makes it substantially more expensive! For example the week before on the Thursday the same train I want to get from PNZ to LON is only 15...

Fares on the 17th are cheaper but I noticed on the South West Trains website they're advertising the selling of Olympics tickets as being available now for the period from the 18th July until September, is this why I can't get the tickets I want.
I don't think the Olympics is relevant to your problem. 19th July is not yet open for SWT, according to the booking horizons page, indeed TPE is the only TOC open until 22nd so far:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_..._horizons.html

I'd check again next week.
swt_passenger is online now  
Old 27th April 2012, 10:40   #3
daniel3982
Member
 
Join Date: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swt_passenger View Post
I don't think the Olympics is relevant to your problem. 19th July is not yet open for SWT, according to the booking horizons page, indeed TPE is the only TOC open until 22nd so far:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_..._horizons.html

I'd check again next week.
Cross Country and EMT both seem to be open for advanced fares on the 19th, and indeed I booked for the Saturday down to Cornwall on Sunday, so unless SWT only release week by week then they should be open by now.

The problem is in the meantime the XC price goes up which would be my alternative while the EMT price also goes up but I can't be sure what time I'm going to be able to get to London so can't book either.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep the above website is definitely wrong on AXC & EMT as both have advanced fares open for the 19th July, Also says SWT are available upto the 15th when they're actually open to the 17th! Ahame as a central database of when advanced fares are available is a great idea, if it works properly!

A rather ominous warning at the bottom here too re: the Olympics.

Quote:
Special Events
The availability of Advance tickets could be affected by special events taking place along the route of the journey. Please check before travelling.

Last edited by daniel3982; 27th April 2012 at 10:40. Reason: Double post prevention system
daniel3982 is offline  
Old 27th April 2012, 12:39   #4
island
I'm from M390
Established Member
 
Join Date: 30 Dec 2010
Location: SE12
Posts: 7,431
Default

FYI: the ticket type you're referring to is advance, not advanced. Whether advance fares are advanced in sophistication is anybody's guess
island is offline  
Old 27th April 2012, 13:00   #5
dzug2
Member
 
Join Date: 5 Feb 2011
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3982 View Post
Yep the above website is definitely wrong on AXC & EMT as both have advanced fares open for the 19th July, Also says SWT are available upto the 15th when they're actually open to the 17th! Ahame as a central database of when advanced fares are available is a great idea, if it works properly!
The website isn't updated daily - sometimes only weekly so can be a little out of date
dzug2 is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 06:36   #6
daniel3982
Member
 
Join Date: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default

Checked again today and advance tickets are still only available upto the 17th July (they have been for 3 days) and not beyond. Getting increasingly worried that they're not available on the 19th due to the Olympics, meanwhile EMT tickets have gone up quite a lot in that time as they're selling like hot cakes.
daniel3982 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:21.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright © 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2014