RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Rail Photography > Photography Sites & Videos > Photography Advice & Discussion

Old 20th March 2012, 18:42   #811
ralphchadkirk
Does not work for the BBC
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Greys View Post
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Firstly, I am not a lawyer, so I don't know how accurate this is. If someone is arrested, or at least stopped, then the person doing so might find themselves in very hot water because it might turn out to be false arrest/imprisonment. I don't really want to encourage the "see you in court" culture, but it's a possibility.
Neither am I

False imprisonment and those types of things look like a very sticky area of law, so I imagine it's very particular and I doubt that this would be considered it. Could be wrong of course.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:50   #812
bAzTNM

He certainly wasn't going to let me through, and I'd like to know who he would be sending for too.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:33   #813
electra27000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAzTNM View Post
He certainly wasn't going to let me through, and I'd like to know who he would be sending for too.
Nobody, in all probability - he was just throwing his weight around...
Old 21st March 2012, 19:16   #814
onein37

If its of any help to anyone,i never had any problems photing at Reading,Didcot,Oxford or Banbury stations on Monday.
onein37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 21:38   #815
NY Yankee
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The same thing happens in the United States. Even in the NYC Subway, where photography is legal, photographers are often harassed.
NY Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 21:52   #816
anthony263
Established Member

Slightly not to do with railways but this just so it isnt just the railway enthusiast who suffer abuse etc when out photographing:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Dr...ail/story.html

Hopefully First Cymru will speak to this driver. Stagecoach have already taken action with their drivers and posted notices in all depots warning drivers not to abuse bus photographers and I have to say I have never necountered any problems when photographing buses in the valleys.
anthony263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 12:43   #817
trentside
Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony263 View Post
Slightly not to do with railways but this just so it isnt just the railway enthusiast who suffer abuse etc when out photographing:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Dr...ail/story.html

Hopefully First Cymru will speak to this driver. Stagecoach have already taken action with their drivers and posted notices in all depots warning drivers not to abuse bus photographers and I have to say I have never necountered any problems when photographing buses in the valleys.
The comments on the story are also interesting. It shows how ignorant many people are about photography and privacy laws - so many commenters go on about needing people's permission to take their picture, even in a public place. It's no wonder a minority of staff on the railway think photography is 'illegal' as many members of the public apparently think similar things.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:55   #818
causton
I'm in the green team
Established Member

I went out just now to take some photos of some buses and a driver covered her face with her hand - the thing is, due to the conditions the windscreens were so reflective I can't make out many of the other driver's faces so all I can see inside the bus is her hand! Better than shouting abuse at me but still...
Old 8th May 2012, 13:04   #819
jonmorris0844
Established Member

I think more people believe it's illegal to take a photograph of someone else without permission than know or accept it's perfectly legal - right up to even taking photographs into private property FROM public property (if you want privacy, grow a large hedge or close the blinds).

If a photo you take includes a child in it, I'd expect almost all parents will be quick to conclude that it's illegal and the photographer should be immediately placed on the sex offenders register. Or, failing that, you can possibly expect to be assaulted as the parent takes the law into his/her own hands and demands you hand over the film/delete the file. This has happened to photo journalists who have taken photos at events with loads of people, then had one take exception to having their kid in it.

The ignorance is widespread, but it's hardly surprising that so many people get hassle for taking photos. I've had plenty of PCSOs think it's illegal and I've also had hassle from police officers.

When it comes to the police, I am a little more confused as I'm never sure if they actually knew the law or not. I've had bother (even threatened with arrest once - although obviously not actioned) and then shown my press card. Suddenly they've backed off, which suggests they were fully aware of the law and were playing on MY ignorance to exert their power. That's even more worrying than them simply not knowing as they're clearly bullies who should possibly not be allowed any authority at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by causton View Post
I went out just now to take some photos of some buses and a driver covered her face with her hand - the thing is, due to the conditions the windscreens were so reflective I can't make out many of the other driver's faces so all I can see inside the bus is her hand! Better than shouting abuse at me but still...
The best for me was a Uno bus driver that had been abusing an Arriva bus (the bus itself, not the driver - by kicking it), prompting me to grab a photo - which she saw me take. She then swore at me while getting back on the bus and danced around giving me the finger while pulling away (no hands on the wheel) and the icing on the cake was her calling me a pervert for taking her photo. Sadly, the photo I took of her at the wheel was too blurred to be of any use, so with hindsight I should have switched to video recording as this would have been an awesome YouTube hit!

I think she was having her 'Falling Down' moment. I've not seen her on any buses since that incident so I think it's quite likely more than one person reported her - and if the bus had working CCTV, her actions might well have been caught on film too.

Last edited by jonmorris0844; 8th May 2012 at 13:06. Reason: Double post prevention system
jonmorris0844 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 13:24   #820
anthony263
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris0844 View Post
The best for me was a Uno bus driver that had been abusing an Arriva bus (the bus itself, not the driver - by kicking it), prompting me to grab a photo - which she saw me take. She then swore at me while getting back on the bus and danced around giving me the finger while pulling away (no hands on the wheel) and the icing on the cake was her calling me a pervert for taking her photo. Sadly, the photo I took of her at the wheel was too blurred to be of any use, so with hindsight I should have switched to video recording as this would have been an awesome YouTube hit!

I think she was having her 'Falling Down' moment. I've not seen her on any buses since that incident so I think it's quite likely more than one person reported her - and if the bus had working CCTV, her actions might well have been caught on film too.

She would have found herself being hauled into the managers office if she was with stagecoach as they seem to have warned all their staff.

I have visited some bus depot and generally the staff are always welcoming although they do ask that you were a high vis and dont act stupid.

Personally I actively avoid taking any photos where there are kids about as I know a few others photographers do as well.
anthony263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 13:29   #821
jonmorris0844
Established Member

Yes, not taking photo of children (of any age) is probably wise - but sometimes unavoidable.

Clearly it's different if you're taking a photo of a single child, but the fact is it would still be legal and not automatically render you a paedophile. A parent would be well within his/her rights to ask why such a photo was taken, but not to have the photo deleted or assault the photographer.

A good few years ago, I took a photo of two young girls who were 'playing' in the main road outside my house. They'd taken a kitchen knife and placed it in the road to presumably burst a car tyre as it drove by. They failed miserably, I might add, despite multiple attempts by going back out to re-position it.

I called the police and also took a photo as evidence, in case they ran off. The police asked to see the photo, and then warned me that I shouldn't take photos of children. However, they did at least go and speak to the parents (and it didn't happen again) and didn't suddenly come back to arrest me. It did make me think against doing this ever again.
Old 8th May 2012, 13:39   #822
trentside
Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony263 View Post
She would have found herself being hauled into the managers office if she was with stagecoach as they seem to have warned all their staff.
The staff around the East Midlands are certainly aware of enthusiasts, as both the current and former managing directors were at least occasional enthusiasts.

I've actually taken a few pictures of buses in my village today. One driver didn't really clock me, and the other two both smiled and acknowledged me. I had my confidence knocked by a couple of incidents with other operators drivers a few years back, but always feel happy taking pictures of Stagecoach and TrentBarton!
Old 8th May 2012, 14:23   #823
GB
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris0844 View Post
I think more people believe it's illegal to take a photograph of someone else without permission than know or accept it's perfectly legal - right up to even taking photographs into private property FROM public property (if you want privacy, grow a large hedge or close the blinds).
That depends on the circumstances and what your trying to photograph. Trying to grab a photograph of the inside of someones house from the street for example will leave you very exposed.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 19:45   #824
jonmorris0844
Established Member

What circumstances exactly? I'm intrigued to know what exceptions there are to the law that says you can take photos in public, which includes anything visible from a public location.

The only exception I can think of is looking over a high fence or bushes, but not an open room in a house with no curtains or any obstructions from a road. Otherwise, how would the paparazzi get their photos?
Old 8th May 2012, 19:51   #825
Ferret
Tickets & excuses please!
Established Member

Reports today of it not being permitted to take photos at Marylebone due to the Olympics! Here we go again.....
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote