• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Borders Railway - Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
The current one is i believe failing, and before long will no longer be able to take heavy traffic. This will prelude it then not being able to take any traffic....

Not just yet. The experimental pumping of warm dry air appears to have arrested the deterioration of the cables.

However as I understand it, once the new crossing is open, the existing road bridge will not be open to cars or lorries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not just yet. The experimental pumping of warm dry air appears to have arrested the deterioration of the cables.

However as I understand it, once the new crossing is open, the existing road bridge will not be open to cars or lorries.

Very very interesting thank you for that. So i might get to design a suspension bridge after all one day.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As far as I am aware the Borders Line will run operationally as an extension of the current Fife Circle - Newcraighall services. As we have now there will be some through services to Perth, Dundee, Stirling*, & Dunblane*. I believe the Tweedbank based crews will sign Fife.

NB I have not seen this in writing but it is the current informed chat in the bothy. Edinburgh Crossrail may well survive!

*Depending on the timescale of the Central Scottish electrification Scheme*

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware the Borders Line will run operationally as an extension of the current Fife Circle - Newcraighall services. As we have now there will be some through services to Perth, Dundee, Stirling*, & Dunblane*. I believe the Tweedbank based crews will sign Fife. (NB I have not seen this in writing but it is the current informed chat in the bothy. Edinburgh Crossrail may well survive!)
*Depending on the timescale of the Central Scottish electrification Scheme*

A most interesting proposal. Keep us informed as to this matter on this thread as and when you hear any more news "from the bothy".

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I believe the Tweedbank based crews will sign Fife.

A most interesting proposal. Keep us informed as to this matter on this thread as and when you hear any more news "from the bothy".

OK straight from the horse's (well a driver's who will be based at Tweedbank) mouth. Tweedbank crews will sign Fife as well as apparently North Berwick & Dunbar. Obviously, they will sign Tweedbank - Edinburgh too!

railjock

Drove around the Millerhill area today and quite a lot of construction work underway between there and the city bypass. I'll try and get some pics next time I'm over that way.

John07

The current one will be retained. They are closing it, replacing all the corroded cables, fixing everything else thats wrong with it, then using as a bus lane. I really wish I was joking. It will be a slip road for Ferrytoll Park and Ride.

No true.

They are not replacing the corroded cable. It is impossible to do that on a suspension bridge of this type. They drying out the part-corroded cable and then will seal it. This will give years of life for the bridge but a weight restriction is inevitable at some stage.

The state of the cables was used as a pretext for building the new bridge. The bridge will close of some work on the deck once the new bridge is open. After that it will re-open as a public transport facility for buses, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians. There was even a picture of a tram-line on the Transport Scotland website.

Forthbridge_zpse1f59acc.png

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Even with the apparent stoppage in the corrosion of the bridge cables, they could require a new crossing at relatively short notice, so not proceeding with the new crossing would be rather short sighted.

Also the current crossing is hugely over capacity.

LE Greys

Established Member
No true.

They are not replacing the corroded cable. It is impossible to do that on a suspension bridge of this type. They drying out the part-corroded cable and then will seal it. This will give years of life for the bridge but a weight restriction is inevitable at some stage.

The state of the cables was used as a pretext for building the new bridge. The bridge will close of some work on the deck once the new bridge is open. After that it will re-open as a public transport facility for buses, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians. There was even a picture of a tram-line on the Transport Scotland website.

Forthbridge_zpse1f59acc.png

Where is this going to be built? I like the idea of running the trams accross, if its anywhere near the old bridge, they could curve down gently to Rosyth.

snowball

Established Member
Where is this going to be built? I like the idea of running the trams accross, if its anywhere near the old bridge, they could curve down gently to Rosyth.

It was a possibility for how the old bridge might be used once most road traffic has switched to the new bridge.

John07

The picture is for potential use of the old bridge.

I suspect that it will be a long time before we see trams anywhere near Fife. The original Edinburgh tram plans had an extension to Newbridge from the Airport but extending that to South Queensferry would be hard o justify.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Sadly, what with the utter fiasco that the Edinburgh tram project has been, I think new tram projects will be political poison in Scotland for a good many years.

davetheguard

Established Member
As someone who has never visited the area (mainly because it hasn't got a station!), but also as someone who has been closely following plans for the railway's welcome re-instatement, can I ask a question about Tweedbank itself?

Is Tweedbank, a village, a new suburb/housing area, or is it the name of a local district? My reprint of the 1955 railway atlas shows a station at Galashiels, followed by an unnamed junction for a branch to Selkirk, and finally Melrose station (before continuing on to Carlisle/ Tweedmouth). No station or halt in-between: no "Tweedmouth"

Hopefully, local posters will forgive my ignorance, and be able to answer my question.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I did of course mean "no station or halt in-between: no Tweedbank" in my previous post. (Not Tweedmouth).

Liam

Established Member
Tweedbank: half of it is an Industrial estate, the other half is a new village expanded since the late 90's, Borders General hospital is nearby too. I think if they could have rebuilt the line as far as Melrose they would have, but the Melrose bypass is now on the old trackbed.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Tweedbank is a relatively new 'business park' and residential estate to the east of Galashiels, in between the old Melrose Road and the new bypass, and between Galashiels and the huge Borders General Hospital. There's also a sports and leisure complex there, in the plain of the Tweed valley.

In recent decades, Galashiels has expanded eastwards into that plain and many of the hopes for its continued growth lie in this area. As it includes much undeveloped land, it is also easy to envisage a large car park, creating a park and ride facility for rail commuters from the broader Borders region.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In recent decades, Galashiels has expanded eastwards into that plain and many of the hopes for its continued growth lie in this area. As it includes much undeveloped land, it is also easy to envisage a large car park, creating a park and ride facility for rail commuters from the broader Borders region.

How is Galashiels seen in terms of strategic planning terms by the Scottish Government and what formal statements have been made by them on this matter.

cuccir

Established Member
As it includes much undeveloped land, it is also easy to envisage a large car park, creating a park and ride facility for rail commuters from the broader Borders region.

I think this is a crucial factor of it - it will mean that passengers from Jedburgh, Kelso, Selkirk and Melrose won't have to drive into Galashiels itself - could pretty much half the road-journey time compared to a station in the middle of Galashiels, once parking etc is taken into consideration.

snowball

Established Member
Tweedbank: half of it is an Industrial estate, the other half is a new village expanded since the late 90's, Borders General hospital is nearby too. I think if they could have rebuilt the line as far as Melrose they would have, but the Melrose bypass is now on the old trackbed.

Here's Melrose station seen from the bypass.

The bypass would not prevent extending the line that far. It's when you try to go beyond Melrose station that it becomes a problem.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the reason for stopping at Tweedbank is that if the line went any further, extra units would be needed to cover the timetabled services, and this would not be worthwhile for the short extra distance to Melrose.

railjock

As someone who has never visited the area (mainly because it hasn't got a station!), but also as someone who has been closely following plans for the railway's welcome re-instatement, can I ask a question about Tweedbank itself?

Is Tweedbank, a village, a new suburb/housing area, or is it the name of a local district? My reprint of the 1955 railway atlas shows a station at Galashiels, followed by an unnamed junction for a branch to Selkirk, and finally Melrose station (before continuing on to Carlisle/ Tweedmouth). No station or halt in-between: no "Tweedmouth"

Hopefully, local posters will forgive my ignorance, and be able to answer my question.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I did of course mean "no station or halt in-between: no Tweedbank" in my previous post. (Not Tweedmouth).

It's basically a 'suburb' of Galashiels on the southern outskirts.

snowball

Established Member
I agree that there's no need for the railway to follow its old route, and I'm not suggesting that there's any need to tear up the whole, or indeed any, of the bypass.

I'm suggesting that the simplest route through central Melrose would be to cling to the north side of the bypass. This would involve demolishing a few properties near the crossing over the B6359.

The location and orientation of the station at Tweedbank suggest to me that the powers that be are probably thinking along similar lines, and are not thinking of crossing the river (which incidentally would require two big expensive new bridges, one to get to the north side, and another to get back again once past Melrose).

However my familiarity with the area is limited and I am going from large-scale maps.

Edit: Looking at Google streetview and Bing bird's-eye view it might be just possible without demolition. Maybe the bypass was designed to leave a sufficient strip of land?

Last edited:

fegguk

Extending the railway beyond Tweedbank towards Hawick would be relatively straight forward though not particularly cheap. A few houses would need to be demolished though not that much environmental impact, far less than the roads that have been built over the last 40 years.

The Solum is more or less intact as far as the old station. A bridge would be required under the Tweedbank Melrose road B6360, a house has been built on the line at Darnick.

Beyond the station the by pass encroaches on the solum a few houses would need to be demolished here to realign the bypass further south and probably create a new road junction into Melrose. The railway could then follow its original route if the existing junction into the town off the bypass was closed.

It then would need to go under the bypass near the instead junction beyond which the road has been built on the railway solum. It would then need to go under the A68 south of the Ravenswood roundabout. Another bridge is required under the A68 (Newtown) bypass. It can probably be squeezed past the industrial units car park (new station sire?) and auction mart, beyond which the sheltered housing would need to be removed and the old bridge restored across the old A68. Beyond there has been very little development or new roads other a few over bridges which have been removed. Approaching Hawick a bridge would be required over Burnfoot Road. The station could be built near the Leisure centre.

Beyond Hawick it starts to get expensive again due to new roads and viaduct demolition.

It’s a question of whether a economic case can be made for extension rather than whether it technically feasible. This will depend ultimately on how successful the new line is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.