RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > UK Railway Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14th February 2015, 15:10   #1
Old Yard Dog

Default Abandoned freight train

An abandoned freight train caused mayhem today after the driver dumped his 36 wagon set outside Nottingham station. The eastern approach was blocked for over an hour while a replament driver wasferried in from Toton. The 1227 to Lincoln was cancelled while the 1245 to Skegness left 50 mins late & terminated at Boston having done the Grantham avoider.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 14th February 2015, 15:14   #2
Juniper Driver
458 Trained Feb 2007
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yard Dog View Post
An abandoned freight train caused mayhem today after the driver dumped his 36 wagon set outside Nottingham station. The eastern approach was blocked for over an hour while a replament driver wasferried in from Toton. The 1227 to Lincoln was cancelled while the 1245 to Skegness left 50 mins late & terminated at Boston having done the Grantham avoider.
If that's correct that's total madness.

Link?
Old 14th February 2015, 15:15   #3
GB
Established Member

It wasn't abandoned and it wasn't dumped. The driver didn't have the required route knowledge and no forward driver had been booked on in error.
Old 14th February 2015, 15:17   #4
Juniper Driver
458 Trained Feb 2007
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It wasn't abandoned and it wasn't dumped. The driver didn't have the required route knowledge and no forward driver had been booked on in error.
Fair enough...we don't actually know what happened.
Old 14th February 2015, 16:25   #5
PaxVobiscum
Established Member

Quote:
Are you practising writing for the tabloid press or what?
Don't forget the driver's age and any similarly irrelevant personal details (tattoos, hairstyle, enthic origin, orientation etc.)
Old 14th February 2015, 16:32   #6
Minilad
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxVobiscum View Post
Are you practising writing for the tabloid press or what?
Don't forget the driver's age and any similarly irrelevant personal details (tattoos, hairstyle, enthic origin, orientation etc.)
And if its it the Daily Mail how much his house is worth
Old 14th February 2015, 16:36   #7
The Planner
Established Member

Presumably the Ratcliffe train, 36 wagons on a coal service doesn't sound right or is Ratcliffe biomass now?
Old 14th February 2015, 16:46   #8
SPADTrap
Fast Train Approaching
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minilad View Post
And if its it the Daily Mail how much his house is worth
and HS2 and ticket prices!
Old 14th February 2015, 16:50   #9
TB93

23 coal sets go into Ratcliffe,30/32 oil tanks for Kingsbury so I don't know what would be 36 wagons as someone else said DM all over this.lol
Old 14th February 2015, 17:32   #10
Bertie the bus

36 HAAs. Not that power station coal trains have consisted of HAAs for a number of years.
Old 14th February 2015, 19:06   #11
Crossover
Established Member

Well the 1245 to Skegness from Nottingham ran 15 minutes late and ran right through to Skegness....
Old 14th February 2015, 19:17   #12
Old Yard Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If that is true, couldnt they find some siding, loop or freight line to stick the thing in? I didnt count the wagons but there were loads of them and they were covered. DRS? The trsin still fouled the junction aftrr moving forard into the station
Old 14th February 2015, 19:27   #13
Legzr1
Banned

Quote:
If that is true, couldnt they find some siding, loop or freight line to stick the thing in? I didnt count the wagons but there were loads of them and they were covered. DRS? The trsin still fouled the junction aftrr moving forard into the station

I'm not familiar with the area but I'd take a stab in the dark and say if there was a loop or siding that could have been used perhaps that's the first thing they'd have done!

Or perhaps it really was an ignorant driver prepared to risk his career and refuse to move without good reason just to annoy a few passengers

I know in other parts of the country, signallers will require contact with the relieving driver before allowing a train booked for relief to get close to the point of no return/no loop etc (especially if they've been stung before...)
Having said that, FOC controls have been know to arrange out of course relief without actually telling NR, the relieving driver or even the current driver - they're human, they're fallible.
Old 14th February 2015, 19:32   #14
CallySleeper
gotta get back to Macon.
Established Member

Quote:
No, if I'm understanding the OP correctly I'm surprised that the driver's route knowledge stopped at Eastcroft and didn't include the station.
Old 14th February 2015, 20:15   #15
Ploughman
Established Member

Not the first and certainly will not be the last.

When I have acted as an ES or PICOP in the past I have had numerous occasions when I have gone up to the driver of a Ballast train and asked him to move within the worksite / possession and even to get rid of him off possession and had the disgruntled mutter of "Don't know the road mate"
Phone call to control and threat of delay minutes sometimes got results from the train company.
Closed Thread