• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Flying Phil

Established Member
I believe that the bridge project is a bit behind schedule? Has work started on the abutments yet? Unfortunately I have not been able to visit recently and the GCR website has not been updated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well there is now an update on the website - but only up to July 27th. So still no actual abutment work yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
I wonder if the S&T department are looking forward to this ?
In the latest issue of "Main Line" ( #168) Steve Evans writes " I'm very happy to be able to make the first report of work on the Loughborough north extension, which has started with refurbishment of signal fittings".
So S & T are on the case!:)
I visited the bridge site today and sadly there is no sign of any preparation work being done. I suspect this means the bridge will not be erected over the Christmas break. It would be nice to have an official update though....

duffield

Established Member
I visited the bridge site today and sadly there is no sign of any preparation work being done. I suspect this means the bridge will not be erected over the Christmas break. It would be nice to have an official update though....

I don't know if it will happen this Xmas but I guess it's no longer critical that it does - I believe the original MML electrification schedule mean this was the last chance before the wires went up, which would have made it much more expensive, but now there's probably a few years to spare so to speak.

38Cto15E

So the new National Railway Museum at Leicester North can and will open before there is a connection from the GCR to the National Rail network at Loughborough? TIA

duffield

Established Member
So the new National Railway Museum at Leicester North can and will open before there is a connection from the GCR to the National Rail network at Loughborough? TIA

Seems very likely. The 'exhibits' might need to be transported by road anyhow, I would guess they might well not be cleared for mainline running...

Flying Phil

Established Member
I had another visit to Lbro today and there was no sign of any work done at the MML bridge site so there is no chance of the bridge going in at Christmas. There has been no indication if the new bridge deck has even been ordered?
The GCR website has had no news update since July 28th. I am sure that I am not the only person to feel frustrated that we do not get more regular updates - even if it is to say that things are "delayed because of...."
I realise that the Railway is doing/must be doing, a lot of work behind the scenes with the Museum project and Gap project but, as they are quick to seek help/funds from the public, they ought to feedback more information to that same public. They do have the regular "Rail Mail" "E-Letter" but that is also silent on these things.

L+Y

as they are quick to seek help/funds from the public, they ought to feedback more information to that same public.

Difficult to disagree with this: I can only assume that things are moving more slowly than expected in terms of planning permission and so forth...?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Another trip to Loughborough and there is no sign of any work being done. The electrification of the MML North of Kettering seems to have ground to a bit of a halt as well......
In the latest GCR "Rail Mail" is this snippet of news....
"Ironically, it will not be on site long, as LMS are moving their operation to a dedicated site still in `Loughborough but not rail connected in the next few weeks".
The LMS operation is outside the North end of the locomotive shed and so it appears as though the area is being cleared so that access to the canal bridge (for refurbishment ) and embankment (For re-building) is being started on.

38Cto15E

The new Main Line magazine came in the post today, in the magazine the CEO talks about Spring 2017 for the bridge to be built, it does seem that there has been a lot of meetings with different groups and lots of i's to be dotted and T's to be crossed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Well Spring will be good!
But I still feel there could be more regular updates - even if the news is of delays, there must be other bits of progress to sweeten the pot.....

Flying Phil

Established Member
Progress!
There are now some High Vis clad workers clearing the site of the Southern abutment. This it to allow machinery to access, for pile driving, then concrete pouring for the foundations. The timescale is approx 6 months and the bridge deck is being fabricated now. Following on from this will be the refurb of the canal bridge - another, approx four month, job.

Attachments

• DSCF7096.jpg
    DSCF7096.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 146

AndyW33

To be followed by the bridges over Railway Terrace and the Preci-Spark car park access road, and the long section of missing embankment. This is a long term project...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great to see. Thanks for the updates.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Andy - you are quite correct it certainly will be a long term project - three or four years I would think......But the desire for reunification goes back to the 80's I think, so it is fantastic to actually now have "Boots on the Ground!".
Cowley - Thanks - I will be visiting fairly regularly so will keep the updates coming.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The South abutment vegetation has been cleared and now there is much more work going on on the North abutment site. An excavator, large tipper lorry and dumper truck seem to be very busy.

Attachments

• DSCF7001.jpg
    DSCF7001.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF7002.jpg
    DSCF7002.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 203

L+Y

Good to see: and rather surprising there's no announcement on the GCR website!

reddragon

Established Member
It is a real pity that the GCR do not keep their followers and potential donors up to date with progress.

I read the GWsR blogs and they keep me up to date on work at Broadway Station, track laying on their northern extension and give an opening date & progress on fundraising!

In today's social media world, heritage railways do really need to keep up!

Flying Phil

Established Member
It is a real pity that the GCR do not keep their followers and potential donors up to date with progress.

I read the GWsR blogs and they keep me up to date on work at Broadway Station, track laying on their northern extension and give an opening date & progress on fundraising!

In today's social media world, heritage railways do really need to keep up!

I agree with L & Y and you re use of social media for regular updates. I can understand that some developments are confidential/commercially sensitive etc but when there is visible progress, for all local to see, I am very surprised that it is not promoted in real time.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I visited the bridge site again today and they are still working on the North abutment area. It is still the tracked JCB excavator moving hardcore around to form a solid base for the heavier plant to do the piling and concrete laying, which is believed to be very soon...

Flying Phil

Established Member
As many will know there has been a press release about the bridge but it is not (yet?) on the GCR website.
On my visit today it appears that the prep work is now complete and the next phase - pile driving? is yet to start.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hopefully here is the scanned press release to "The Railway Magazine" this month and a small pic of bridge design. Click on to enlarge.

Attachments

• GC Bridge 2.jpg
    GC Bridge 2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Web-FJD-9-300x179.jpg
    Web-FJD-9-300x179.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 207

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Phil, appreciate being updated. So good to see this happening. The snowball gathers pace... :)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks Cowley
I had a very nice trip behind the SR "Q" 0-6-0 this morning, enjoying a GCR breakfast and watching the countryside go by in the bright morning sunshine. The train was well patronised and Sir Lamiel was also in steam, together with the Jinty tank on driver experience I believe.
Whilst at Loughborough, I went up to the shed and saw that the LMS work area has been cleared and a railway crane is on the track with some old coaching stock - there has also been a general tidy up so access to the canal bridge is easier for the refurbishment of that, and then access to the embankment itself - eventually.

AndyW33

Just for the record, the Jinty wasn't on Driver Experience - the GC don't use tank locos for this. In fact it was being used on day 2 of three days of training for firemen - that's firemen to work on the GC itself.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for that correction Andy.
There was also the three car DMU running so that meant - on a "quiet" weekend, After a Gala, there was a lot happening on the GCR

Flying Phil

Established Member
Bridge site still quiet this week - it seems that there is an outstanding access agreement? causing the delay.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Situation on North bridge site was unchanged earlier this week - but there is an update on the GCR website saying more news very soon.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Sadly there appears to be still no more progress on site as of this Monday...