• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old and new bashing trips by Cowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM580

Nice read - its been a few years since I did the line - I remember that for GW150 in 1985 they ran services into Totnes main line station - had 4555 there and back to Buckfastleigh. Still need 33002 and the shunters, so will have to get there one day

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes it was very pleasant thanks guys.
Mr Bridge, the Totnes operation cost them far more money than it was worth in that I think they had to pay out for keeping the stock mainline certified. In the end they stopped doing it and used the money towards developing Totnes Riverside instead and then eventually building a bridge over the Dart and footpath that leads to the station and town, it took a long time to organise it though.
Like Mr 580 I managed to do the line once in the 80s from the mainline station I think behind the same Prairie.

djpontrack

That sounded like a good day out. I never did the connection into the mainline station, the first time I went we had to get a bus from Newton Abbot to Buckfastleigh as there was no access to the platform at Totnes and I noticed a fence had been put up across the track going to the mainline. The last time I was there things had improved with the building of the footbridge at Totnes for passengers to arrive from the mainline station. Have you been in the pub down the road from Staverton station? It's a nice old pub with some good beers.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That sounded like a good day out. I never did the connection into the mainline station, the first time I went we had to get a bus from Newton Abbot to Buckfastleigh as there was no access to the platform at Totnes and I noticed a fence had been put up across the track going to the mainline. The last time I was there things had improved with the building of the footbridge at Totnes for passengers to arrive from the mainline station. Have you been in the pub down the road from Staverton station? It's a nice old pub with some good beers.

To my shame I haven't been in that pub although I have heard that it's nice. They do use the connection to bring stuff in these days. The last time I was there I saw a pair of 56s going by on the mainline with a rake of HST carriages which was a bit of a bonus :)

djpontrack

To my shame I haven't been in that pub although I have heard that it's nice. They do use the connection to bring stuff in these days. The last time I was there I saw a pair of 56s going by on the mainline with a rake of HST carriages which was a bit of a bonus :)

That's good that the connection is being used again even if it's just to bring stock in. It has been a few years since I was last at Totnes, 2007 I think, just before I moved to Morecambe so I'm due another visit.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I haven't done the SDR since 26th April 2008 (yes I did have to look it up on RailMiles!) and so well overdue a visit. There were visitors, with 47375, 33202 and 31108 being in attendance. 20110 and 20118 were also there, as well as 37037. Oh that was good fun...

I find it surprising you haven't mentioned Nappers Halt though, the only halt on the line and it is always annoying to me that it is not in the Baker still! I scored it off D2246, and I swear I had the Bubble Car too but I don't have it logged on RM. I also have no mileage data for Staverton to Nappers Halt, which I also find odd! Time to dig out my 2008 moves book...

Anyway, despite the lack of heating it sounds like it was a good time on the SDR yesterday. 37275, I swear that was previously on the GCR? Another job I keep putting off is that, creating my preserved loco list! Just checked and 37275 is dud according to my 2013 ST Publications UK combine, and it was at Barrow Hill at the time, interesting...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah Tech, you caught me napping with Nappers Halt (that's a bad pun sorry), that's actually my favourite bit of the line there, when they accelerate away from the crossing next to the halt towards Totnes they usually give it some noise. I'm sorry to say that I have never actually got off or on a train there but maybe next time I will just for the novelty factor.

I also forgot that 31108 was on the line for a bit as I definitely had a run behind it there, but I don't think it was at the gala you went to though.
I remember going down there when they first got 37037 in 2004 and it was still in very tatty grey, they used it for a weekend in that condition and although it looked (arguably ;)) dreadful it sounded superb. There's a photo below (not taken by me) of it looking rough.

Oh and you're right 37275 was at the GCR I think although I go there quite often and don't remember seeing it. I'm sure I've had it somewhere else too but I can't work out where, hopefully the two blue 37s will be paired up at some point soon. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 21

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I ended up doing a devon day ranger £10 from tiverton parkway. stopping off at Totnes for the short walk to riverside station only to be told the trains were 25 minutes late. a quick walk up the platform was delighted to see the class 37 stabled in lovely sunshine. after a 10 minute wait the 33 double headed with the 25 arrived. the 37 went on the rear of the train with the 33 coming off the front, and left top tailed 37 with 25 on rear.

class 33 stabled until the arrival of the next train headed by the class 24, ive not seen a 24 before so was nice to finally see one.

left after a while to bash the GWR HST before the end of their life on the GWML. Scored 3 class 70s for sight, horrible looking things.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow 37037 does look rough there!

37275 I had on the MNR's Class 37 mega gala in September 2010 according to a search on RailMiles. Over 6 years, oh my that was a long time ago! I need to dig out my old photos for some nostalgia, although I'm not sure where I've put them!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I ended up doing a devon day ranger £10 from tiverton parkway. stopping off at Totnes for the short walk to riverside station only to be told the trains were 25 minutes late. a quick walk up the platform was delighted to see the class 37 stabled in lovely sunshine. after a 10 minute wait the 33 double headed with the 25 arrived. the 37 went on the rear of the train with the 33 coming off the front, and left top tailed 37 with 25 on rear.

class 33 stabled until the arrival of the next train headed by the class 24, ive not seen a 24 before so was nice to finally see one.

left after a while to bash the GWR HST before the end of their life on the GWML. Scored 3 class 70s for sight, horrible looking things.

That's great. Was that the Sunday then? I do love a little class 24 with their wee headcode disks I must say and it's always good when there's a dead loco on the back for a bit of extra weight...
37275 looked damn nice in the sunshine with ploughs and bufferbeam valences too. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A great read there - I've never been to the South Devon railway.

Thanks Mr Quinn. You should get down and do a few of the railways down here. There's quite a few nice preserved diesels in the area these days. The rarity being 25185 on the Torbay line, great bit of thrash from Goodrington up the bank to a Churston, five minutes solid 25 thrash up there. Here is the beast

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 11

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

37275 I had on the MNR's Class 37 mega gala in September 2010 according to a search on RailMiles. Over 6 years, oh my that was a long time ago! I need to dig out my old photos for some nostalgia, although I'm not sure where I've put them!

I wish I'd gone to that gala, never get tired of the sound of a 37 :)

I don't know why all these posts came out separately, technology and me just don't get on sometimes.

Last edited:

Established Member
37275 was certainly at the GCR in 2011.
I had a couple of runs behind it on the 9th of September that year.
It's done a few heritage lines, I had it at Swanage in 2008 and the NVR in 2010.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks Mr Quinn. You should get down and do a few of the railways down here. There's quite a few nice preserved diesels in the area these days. The rarity being 25185 on the Torbay line, great bit of thrash from Goodrington up the bank to a Churston, five minutes solid 25 thrash up there. Here is the beast
Not going to happen until the trams go but I'd like to - rats are just hellfire!

AJM580

Remember it well I was there myself and had some memorable thrash. The cavalcade at Dereham was unforgettable

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Remember it well I was there myself and had some memorable thrash. The cavalcade at Dereham was unforgettable

Wasn't it just, I'm so glad I didn't just do the shuttles to Thuxton! I can't remember if I took video footage or not, I really need to look into that. A job for a cold winter's day...
I wish I'd gone to that gala, never get tired of the sound of a 37 :)

I don't know why all these posts came out separately, technology and me just don't get on sometimes.

Oh it was an amazing gala, so worth an all-nighter trip to get to it. The 170 I took from Norwich to Wymondham was just a little bit busy :lol:

The 25 thrash you mentioned, I had 7827 (I think!) on the Paignton and Dartmouth line last year, the racket going up Churston Bank was epic! I can only imagine how good a diesel up there would be!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wasn't it just, I'm so glad I didn't just do the shuttles to Thuxton! I can't remember if I took video footage or not, I really need to look into that. A job for a cold winter's day...

Oh it was an amazing gala, so worth an all-nighter trip to get to it. The 170 I took from Norwich to Wymondham was just a little bit busy :lol:

The 25 thrash you mentioned, I had 7827 (I think!) on the Paignton and Dartmouth line last year, the racket going up Churston Bank was epic! I can only imagine how good a diesel up there would be!

I'll tell you what Tech, that bank behind any good loco is one of the greatest underrated railway journeys in this country. The scenery is magnificent too.
I'm currently on a 153 between teignmouth and dawlish on my way home from having a curry with the father who lives in teignmouth.
I got on, used the facilities in the 150 (I'll check the numbers when I get to St Davids don't worry guys ;)) and decided that the 153 was definitely the most relaxing ambience of the two and settled in a 4 plus table to write this. Half the lights in the 153 seem to have packed up which is definitely helping with the whole relaxed mood thing (ooh, just leaving Starcross now!).
OK, stop writing now Cowley you've probably had one too many :lol:

Exminster straight flat out. Feel the power!!

Never have I done this before, the driver looked at me like I was a lunatic. Especially when I realised I'd forgotten, turned around and ran back up the platform at St Thomas.

What's happening to me!?

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'll tell you what Tech, that bank behind any good loco is one of the greatest underrated railway journeys in this country. The scenery is magnificent too.
I'm currently on a 153 between teignmouth and dawlish on my way home from having a curry with the father who lives in teignmouth.
I got on, used the facilities in the 150 (I'll check the numbers when I get to St Davids don't worry guys ;)) and decided that the 153 was definitely the most relaxing ambience of the two and settled in a 4 plus table to write this. Half the lights in the 153 seem to have packed up which is definitely helping with the whole relaxed mood thing (ooh, just leaving Starcross now!).

Never have I done this before, the driver looked at me like I was a lunatic. Especially when I realised I'd forgotten, turned around and ran back up the platform at St Thomas.

What's happening to me!?

Going dry for October (what's the name for it?) obviously did you no good whatsoever :lol:;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Going dry for October (what's the name for it?) obviously did you no good whatsoever :lol:;)

Oh no, Ash Bridge is like the voice of my conscience (obviously not quite loud enough though :)).

Keith Jarrett

Cowley, just picking up on this thread even though I should have done so ages back! Your visit to the GCRN - did you see 47292 on your visit? Only it's one of two extant 47s that I need for haulage (the other being 47270, which West Coast have managed to b*gg*r up). And the SDR gala sounded good - 37275 and 24081 would have been the two scratches there. I remember doing a through excursion off the mainline where a SDR steamer picked up the tour in Totnes station - that was ages back though as the tour loco was a Network SouthEast duff.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cowley, just picking up on this thread even though I should have done so ages back! Your visit to the GCRN - did you see 47292 on your visit? Only it's one of two extant 47s that I need for haulage (the other being 47270, which West Coast have managed to b*gg*r up). And the SDR gala sounded good - 37275 and 24081 would have been the two scratches there. I remember doing a through excursion off the mainline where a SDR steamer picked up the tour in Totnes station - that was ages back though as the tour loco was a Network SouthEast duff.

Hi Keith. I couldn't see 47292 anywhere, I need that one too. I also didn't see the other 47 (I can't remember without looking, is it 47765?) or the 25, they must have been hiding in one of their many sheds they have up there.

One gala I shall forever be annoyed about missing, as I was out the country...

That area is surprisingly hilly, 37601 37612 out of Paignton recently at 4am up the bank towards Aller Jn was noisy :lol:

There's many railways that people underrate. I see neds wibble on about "thrash" on castor "bank" at the NVR galas. What bank! I'm almost 110% certain that line could be downhill both ways ;)
If you want prolonged pres thrash, I'm afraid the only options have to be the NYMR, PDR and perhaps the SVR. Although nearly everyone never seems to have visited the first two...

47292 is 100% runner and operates at their general diesel galas as well as various running days. Dud for me.
47270 isn't knackered, just undergoing a reasonably heavy exam and new wheelsets as the other one's tyres were like ribbons
Also dud ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
NYMR, dud line but it was in 2005 I believe and I don't remember what I had but it was steam. It was part of a family holiday, not a crank fest. Would love to do it again.

PDSR, dud last year but that bank is just awesome. I was 3 carriages back but the racket off the Manor was simply awesome!

SVR, uber dud line and I've had the privilege of driving D1013 out of Bridgnorth which was quite an experience!

Cowley: Sounds like you did indeed have one too many :lol: Sober for October is the name of that challenge ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
NYMR, dud line but it was in 2005 I believe and I don't remember what I had but it was steam. It was part of a family holiday, not a crank fest. Would love to do it again.

PDSR, dud last year but that bank is just awesome. I was 3 carriages back but the racket off the Manor was simply awesome!

SVR, uber dud line and I've had the privilege of driving D1013 out of Bridgnorth which was quite an experience!

Cowley: Sounds like you did indeed have one too many :lol: Sober for October is the name of that challenge ;)

You know you've had one too many when the owner of the restaurant congratulates you on how many you've drunk :o
I think I had a mild case of let loose syndrome.

Driving Ranger on the SVR... heaven.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

What's happening to me!?
That had me laughing ;)!

KJ - I'm only 14 and I don't even need 292 or 270!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A most interesting and amusing thread. To add my two pennorth to various topics mentioned:

1. The 37fest at Wymondham in 2010. Did this in the middle of an ALR, and scored 37029/275/518/601 and 97301. An excellent day ...:D

2. Thrashworthy preserved lines. The KWVR is quite steep, and the tunnel just after Ingrow adds to the sound effects. Also, for continuous uphillness, the Snowdon Mountain Railway is good (if expensive) fun.

3. 47270/292. Both dud for me, both at the ELR as gala.guests.

4. 150266/153380. Both required, drunk or sober...<D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A most interesting and amusing thread. To add my two pennorth to various topics mentioned:

1. The 37fest at Wymondham in 2010. Did this in the middle of an ALR, and scored 37029/275/518/601 and 97301. An excellent day ...:D

2. Thrashworthy preserved lines. The KWVR is quite steep, and the tunnel just after Ingrow adds to the sound effects. Also, for continuous uphillness, the Snowdon Mountain Railway is good (if expensive) fun.

3. 47270/292. Both dud for me, both at the ELR as gala.guests.

4. 150266/153380. Both required, drunk or sober...<D

Thanks D841. The KWVR is high on the list of railways to do. Another railway with an excellent bank is the Bodmin and Wenford, they've got (purely by chance) my favourite 50 - 50042 and my favourite 37 - 37142 down there, the 37 working hard up the 1 in 37 dragging its train and the dead 50 on the back a few years ago caused Mrs Cowley to finally understand the whole diesel thrash thing properly. What a racket! She's recently moved on to 20 bashing having experienced two them going full bore through the tunnel on the Severn Valley (she says they look sweet too bless her :)).

I was reading your reports the other day and the excellent phrase 'fart and roll' has now become a useful part of my vocabulary. The ultimate fart and roll move for me used to be Exeter Central to St Davids just to get a line in the book, ten feet of acceleration and three quarters of a mile of rolling downhill...

Just thought of a bit more on this, although I haven't been on the line the Llangollen looks quite hilly in places and also the bit up too Cauldon Low on the Churnet Valley has a pretty epic bank on it by the looks of things.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Thanks D841. The KWVR is high on the list of railways to do. Another railway with an excellent bank is the Bodmin and Wenford, they've got (purely by chance) my favourite 50 - 50042 and my favourite 37 - 37142 down there, the 37 working hard up the 1 in 37 dragging its train and the dead 50 on the back a few years ago caused Mrs Cowley to finally understand the whole diesel thrash thing properly. What a racket! She's recently moved on to 20 bashing having experienced two them going full bore through the tunnel on the Severn Valley (she says they look sweet too bless her :)).

I was reading your reports the other day and the excellent phrase 'fart and roll' has now become a useful part of my vocabulary. The ultimate fart and roll move for me used to be Exeter Central to St Davids just to get a line in the book, ten feet of acceleration and three quarters of a mile of rolling downhill...

Just thought of a bit more on this, although I haven't been on the line the Llangollen looks quite hilly in places and also the bit up too Cauldon Low on the Churnet Valley has a pretty epic bank on it by the looks of things.

Only ever did an Exeter St David's to Central return once, but the downhill was a a outrageously lucky "fall-on". In order to save paths from Salisbury to Exeter, any light engine trips were often attached to the front of a passenger working, and I ended up on one...:)

The date was 11/4/85, I was on holiday in Cornwall, and did a linear bash to Exeter and back.

45107, 45136, 47613 and 50013 took me on my outward journey, in segments via Par, Liskeard and Plymouth.

On arrival, required 50014 was waiting on a Waterloo service, so I invested in a return to Central and enjoyed the thrash up the hill. Was hoping for a winner back, and got lucky with 33037 + 33007 + 50011, all working (none of them very hard!)

For the record, 45103/50050/50006/50019 returned me home in stages.

Established Member
Crikey.
There were thirteen 50s that I never managed to get and you had four of them that day - 50006/50011/50013 & 50014!
Talk about jealous.

The only loco that I had from Central to St David's was 50019, which I've had a few times since.

Status
Not open for further replies.