• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 Front Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixcronin

Earlier today Bombardier tweeted this picture which includes some of their current and future trains, including the S Stock, Class 345 (Crossrail) and the Class 710 for the Overground:

https://twitter.com/BombardierR_UK/status/808952179558060032

I was really pleased to see that they've modified the design of the 710 front end. Earlier renderings showed it with the same (ugly IMHO) design of the 345, but this one has some changes, including more angular and slanted front headlight clusters and a redesigned area around the coupler. I think it looks much better! The headlight clusters in particular are a subtle but important improvement.

For reference, this was the previous design:

22538004352_8bc92b4c34_z.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Earlier today Bombardier tweeted this picture which includes some of their current and future trains, including the S Stock, Class 345 (Crossrail) and the Class 710 for the Overground:

https://twitter.com/BombardierR_UK/status/808952179558060032

I was really pleased to see that they've modified the design of the 710 front end. Earlier renderings showed it with the same (ugly IMHO) design of the 345, but this one has some changes, including more angular and slanted front headlight clusters and a redesigned area around the coupler. I think it looks much better! The headlight clusters in particular are a subtle but important improvement.

I think they are basically the same, and when magnified the differences between the 345 and 710 are all down to the colour the different areas are painted or vinyled. They are still only artists impressions, and why would the 345 and 710 need to be physically different anyway?

59CosG95

Established Member
I think they are basically the same, and when magnified the differences between the 345 and 710 are all down to the colour the different areas are painted or vinyled. They are still only artists impressions, and why would the 345 and 710 need to be physically different anyway?

A small physical difference is the no. of doors per side (2 on the 710 as opposed to 3 on the 345), but that's a very minor detail ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The shape of the headlights is slightly different - and I think that makes all the difference.

fgwrich

Established Member
The shape of the headlights is slightly different - and I think that makes all the difference.

Indeed so, the older ones being rounded rectangular : the new ones are more willow leaf shape. It'll still be exactly the same underneath though, just in the same way as the later electrostars have the same light clusters as the 378s - it's just the shape of the panel that makes the diffrerence.

As for the couplers, perhaps they've looked at how battered the firbreglass ones on the Turbo and Turbostar fleet can get and chosen a more simplifi d and smarter arrangement?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

It could still be the same underneath the paint then? We'll see when the actual trains arrive in due course. I ask again why would they need to be different on simultaneous orders?

phoenixcronin

It could still be the same underneath the paint then? We'll see when the actual trains arrive in due course. I ask again why would they need to be different on simultaneous orders?

it's definitely not the paint. The underlying shape of the headlight cluster is clearly different.

samuelmorris

Established Member
To my recollection, this image has been around for a long time, before the 345s turned up in the flesh disproving their concept art. Are we sure the 710s are actually going to look like that?

Edit: never mind, actually followed the link. Fair point :)

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
Ooh, and has orange ends too! Has that Talent 2 looks also!

Don't know if it makes the Class 378s look any older though... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.