• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

signallerscot

We also have plenty of 30yr men that can't move sideways or down thanks to the new system, apparently they are not good enough, but they are good to teach the new staff all the required rules, regs, panel knowledge, SBIs oh and the new 8 non technical skills.

Exactly this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eriks

Hi guys (and gurls) quick update on my last post, after several unsuccessful applications, I finally have an interview on Monday 19th of December at East Kent signalling cantre, its for the Wateringbury post and I would really appreciate any tips and advice on how to prepare. I've read the 8 non technical skills, but what type of questions would they ask? And should I use the key words in my response like "I achieved so and so because I was very conscientious "

They will ask you questions like, " give an example of when you have worked with someone who was difficult and how did you deal with it. Look up the STAR technique for answering questions. Also ensure you know about NR's values, and some facts and figures about the growing railway. Make eye contact, smile and give the impression of being composed.
Enjoy it!

Sabs5296

Thanks Erik, I took all your advice, eye contact, smile, composure... I think it went well, they told me about the effort that had to be put in at signalling school and that they have sent 4 people packing out of 9 from signalling school for not putting enough effort in their studies, then one of them took me to the main office where a couple of signallers were working, introduced me to one of them and said we had a really good interview and that if I had any questions to ask her about signalling I should, I was there for maybe another 15min after the interview. I'm feeling a bit positive about the whole experience, but I don't want to keep my hopes too high, I don't know if its routine to show candidates around and tell them about what signalling school is about, I'm trying not to read too much meaning to it. They said they'll get back to me by the end of the week, that will probably be in another month or more lol. Anyways here's to wishing me and anyone else that has had an interview or will be having one soon,all the best of luck.

Sabs5296

What does application reassigned to new vacancy mean? The position I went for the interview for on Monday just changed to that this evening.

TomBoyd

What does application reassigned to new vacancy mean? The position I went for the interview for on Monday just changed to that this evening.

it means HR are just mucking about with some stuff. Don't worry.

Sooty123

Mine did the same and then was offered the job.
Provisional well done on getting the job!

TRain87

Have to agree with Tom, this does not mean the job is yours - so try and stay positive but don't jump the gun

Sooty123

The guys are right, don't get your hopes up!
I don't know the HR process fully , that's just my experience for my offfer
Best of luck

Sabs5296

Thanks guys, I was worried it meant the vacancy has been cancelled or something :oops: I need to start focusing on the holidays as I've literally run out of finger nails:roll:, Seasons greetings everyone :D

eriks

Thanks Erik, I took all your advice, eye contact, smile, composure... I think it went well, they told me about the effort that had to be put in at signalling school and that they have sent 4 people packing out of 9 from signalling school for not putting enough effort in their studies...........

I think that they were seeing how you react to the thought that signalling school needs effort and isn't 9/12 weeks holiday in a hotel! Although probably not officially part of the interview its good showing people around to be able to see how people react to others, and how they will behave in the workplace. Sounds like it went well - what you have to remember if you are not successful, is that it doesn't mean that you were rubbish. It means that someone presented better on the day. So while its fresh - think about if you could have improved any answers and store that information for the future. Hopefully its not required - just call it insurance!

Sabs5296

I eventually called HR to find out if they had any updates on my application and they said I was successful at the interview and that they will send an offer letter to me very soon, I'm taking that "very soon" with a pinch of salt, it's probably going to take a couple of months to get a start date for signalling school anyways! I shall keep you all posted

TRain87

I eventually called HR to find out if they had any updates on my application and they said I was successful at the interview and that they will send an offer letter to me very soon, I'm taking that "very soon" with a pinch of salt, it's probably going to take a couple of months to get a start date for signalling school anyways! I shall keep you all posted

Congratulations mate! Very pleased for you. I'm due to start school in March....maybe we will be on the same course :)

Sabs5296

Long post alert :-x So I got my formal letter of offer yesterday, and I got a call today to book an appointment for my medical, things are kicking off thank God. I started my current job in December just a few weeks before my interview at Network Rail and I've been working here for just 2 months, so when I got the email from Network Rail asking for my references, I spoke to my my supervisor about it and asked if I could use her as a referee, a really nice lady, we get along just fine, she seemed genuinely happy for me and told me she always wanted to work for Network rail, congratulations etc, and told me to speak to my Line manager about it because she thought the line manager would be a better referee than a supervisor, so I did, and he didn't like it one bit, he told me I was still literally a trainee, and I was not yet productive since I was still training etc, and I'm putting the company in an awkward position, and I said I trained for just 3 weeks and I've been actively doing my duties since then, and I've learnt a lot and would like to continue putting my training to good use, and it would still be another couple of months before I start my employment with Network rail cos they still have to do DBS and other pre employment checks and I promise to put in my 4 weeks notice when the time comes, he said no problem and I should continue doing my best. At the close of work today, the CEO calls me to his office and told me they were letting me go, that I was not "suitable" for the job and I can always call them if I need a reference blah blah, I wouldn't say I was surprised, largely due to the way my line manager reacted when I told him, but I'm very upset about it, do they have the right to terminate my employment just like that?

OneTrackMind

Since you have been let go there and then on the spot I would expect you to get payment in lieu of notice in your final pay packet.

This is usually 1 weeks pay during your probation period but best to check your contract to find out.

Sabs5296

Ok, I'll check that, but how will it look like when Network Rail calls them for a reference and they're told I don't work there anymore and I was let go because I was not suitable for the job, won't that raise a red flag with Network Rail, that is actually my mail concern

MylesHSG

Just be upfront about it. When HR did my employment checks I sent the email with the details off at 9:30am and had the "all checks complete, welcome aboard" email before lunch, I don't think they are exactly through and comprehensive.

Also if you have a 4 week notice period then should you not get 4 weeks pay? Especially as it's not like they've sacked you for gross misconduct or anything like that. Also f**k that line manager and CEO.

Last edited:

Sabs5296

My medical came out ok, and the DBS check is completed, I called HR for an update and was informed that they were waiting to hear back from immigration, will this process ever end? I have a spouse visa, so I'm guessing they're probably trying to confirm the authenticity of the visa, should I be worried that the visa is expiring on the 20th of may? I can't renew it till 28 days before expiry which will be on the 22nd of April. I'm just concerned what effect this will have on my application, I'm not concerned about the visa renewal, I'll probably do the 24 hours express service. Is there anyone here that is on a spouse visa, or any type of visa? I have a friend that was told at the interview that he did really well but won't be offered the job because his visa was expiring soon, although his was HSMP (highly skilled migration program) and renewals for those types of visas are not always guaranteed. My husband thinks I'm over thinking the whole thing, easy for him to say as his career is moving steadily and mine seems to be on hold.

Sabs5296

My friends interview was not for a signalling position and it was not with Network Rail either.

Status
Not open for further replies.