• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Pretty sure Uzbekistan is one of them.

Assuming you're counting the Black Sea as an inland sea ( question... the Bosporus might scupper that? ) then the other would be Solvakia?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Assuming you're counting the Black Sea as an inland sea ( question... the Bosporus might scupper that? ) then the other would be Solvakia?

No -- Black Sea, connected by Bosporus, part of "world ocean". I was thinking of the Caspian -- only one country away from Uzbekistan.

Uzbekistan & Liechtenstein

My word, martinsh, that was quick -- I thought I was setting a real brute of a question ! It's your overland odyssey to the briny...

I thought Lichtenstein, but doesn't it border Germany?

No -- it's sandwiched between Switzerland and Austria, and only those.

martinsh

Established Member

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes they are - the UK is a union of four separate countries.

That is very much disputed.

Northern Ireland is not by any recognised standards a country; it is, officially, a province of the United Kingdom.

Dictionaries call it, interchangeably, a "province", a "division", a "top-level constituent unit", a "region", or a "part", but no respectable dictionary called it a "country".

Calthrop

Established Member
No wonder Americans are often totally baffled by the whole business of "Britain / the UK / the two Irelands": frequently enough, we ourselves disagree / struggle over it !

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No wonder Americans are often totally baffled by the business of "Britain / the UK / the two Irelands": frequently enough, we ourselves disagree / struggle over it !

Quite! For everyday purposes the term "country" is quite acceptable, as we all know what we mean. But, in a trivia environment, I'm forced to bring out the old eyeglass and run a more critical eye over things. I apologise for the pedantry! Back to the quiz. :)

fowler9

Established Member
I doesn't half get complicated. For example, Hong Kong is technically part of China but has different entry regulations. England, Scotland and Wales have none of that and I think Northern Ireland.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'll take it. One for the older members, maybe?

Which major Hollywood star was kidnapped after his death?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Sir Charles Chaplin's coffin was dug up and held to ransom, although it was found and reburied.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you.

These are six titles of cricket books:

"The Test of my Life" by Yuvragh Singh (India)
"Coming Back to Me" by Marcus Trescothick (England)
"Out of my Comfort Zone" by Steve Waugh (Australia)
"Cutting Edge" by Javed Miandad (Pakistan)
"Beyond a Boundary" by C L R James (West indies)
"Hard Knocks" by Sir Richard Hadlee (New Zealand)

It looks like you need some help, so I've added the names of the authors and the countries with which they are involved.

Three questions:
1. Who are the authors?
2. Which one is the odd one out?
3. Why is this so?

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Might need a bit more help here Mr Ebbw

Beyond a Boundary was CLR James. Don't know the others

Yes, I think that you're right, so I've given you the authors as well, now.

Having done that, though, I've realised that there are a couple of "odd ones out", not just the one that I was thinking about. So, I'm happy to accept any bid for this ... the first one wins!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are they examining, after the war, what was left of Hiroshima or Nagasaki* and testing for remaining radiation?

The lack of protective gear can be explained by them never really bothering in those days, as plenty of images of nuclear tests from the time prove.

*It occurs to me that it could also be New Mexico after the first ever test, but the rubble suggests it's one of the actual targets.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Are they examining, after the war, what was left of Hiroshima or Nagasaki* and testing for remaining radiation?

The lack of protective gear can be explained by them never really bothering in those days, as plenty of images of nuclear tests from the time prove.

*It occurs to me that it could also be New Mexico after the first ever test, but the rubble suggests it's one of the actual targets.

There was a building still standing at Ground Zero in Hiroshima wasn't there? I may be wrong. I reckon your answer is right though.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I suspect they are investigating all the pretty glass left on the desert floor after the Trinity Test/Gadget Detonation