• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

richw

Veteran Member
Can anybody recommend a good 'base camp' hotel in London?

I’m planning a mega spotting trip spread over 3 nights/4 days in the middle of February and need somewhere to rest my aching bones at the end of each day. I had considered the Travelodge in Ilford as it’s only £100 for the three nights, but given I want to be heading across to the likes of Acton, Clapham and Marlybone on some days I’m mindful this location might eat into my spotting time unnecessarily as I traipse across central London.

Not fussed about breakfast, just need somewhere near to sleep and wash. No hostels though, done with them after my uni days!

I'm another who recommends Croydon Easyhotel. Of course other easy hotels in London, but Croydon seems the choice of the forum!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm another who recommends Croydon Easyhotel. Of course other easy hotels in London, but Croydon seems the choice of the forum!

It's because it's so easy to get to, yet close enough to town to not be a major inconvenience. The other easyHotel locations in London appear to be in rather noisy areas, although I am still working on visiting each one to make a firm opinion on them as we go through 2017. Naturally, I'll be reporting back on here as well as on TripAdvisor. Which reminds me, I haven't done the Victoria easyHotel review on there yet!

Established Member
Is the Croydon easyHotel close to the Thameslink network? I'm looking for a potential "base camp" to try and get some more 313s, 315s and 319s at some point next spring, and based on the reviews it seems like a decent hotel.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Black Lion, Salford

Located half way between Manchester Victoria & Salford Central stations, around a 10 minute walk from St Peter's Square (probably less if less drunks about)

Friendly staff, however based on room 11 I wouldn't be back as the room had a street lamp near to the window so the room wasn't dark. Unlike the toilet which had a broken light.

On a good note the bed was comfy and it wasn't that noisy considering it was next to a busy road

dcsprior

In the summertime, when Croydon's Premier Inn can be around £100/night and the Travelodge around £50, the saving of staying in the easyHotel can be worth it. In February however you should be able to get a decent price at the TL/PI and be able to avoid the easyHotel.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

palmersears

Established Member
Thank you for all the suggestions chaps, in the end I plumped for the Travelodge in Ilford. A bit further out, but it will allow me to hopefully catch most, if not all, of the 315s, along with the newly delivered 345s, and is close enough to Stratford to get me into central London fairly quickly. Plus it ended up being £60 for the three nights :o

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
£60 for 3 nights in a Travelodge? Rubbish beds or not, that's extremely good value for money!

Ibis Styles, Crewe

First of all, if the map you see on Booking.com says it's near the station, as I still swear blind it did, don't believe it. Google Maps suggests it's 14 minutes away by foot and others report it's nearer 20 minutes. We got a taxi which was well worth a fiver last night.

Check in was smooth, despite struggling to hear the poor lass on reception due to a Frothmas party. She was only too happy to also look up local takeaways for us, which was most kind as we arrived around 2215 and didn't want to waste too much time before getting to the hotel. Everywhere here is nice and modern, and the rooms are really spacious too.

We had to unzip the twin beds apart as they'd been set up as a double. Someone else had to be called up with another quilt and sheet as a result, and considering she doesn't make beds all the time she did a decent enough job fair game to her. There's a TV, kettle and tea/coffee in the room, although I never really use TVs in hotels anyway. A hairdryer was also available, again not something I needed but worth noting.

The bathroom, huge place and not much smaller than my entire room at easyHotel Victoria was recently! Seriously, we're talking less than 3 square feet smaller! The shower had plenty of pressure and hot water, most welcome aftet an intense day of travels the day before.

I didn't really partake of the continental breakfast, apart from a coffee and orange juice. Looked nice enough pastries, with cereal, fruit and that sort of thing there but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.

The beds were surprisingly comfortable too, better than the one in Hotel Exe Vienna! Overall I'd happily stay again with this brand, I just wish it had been near the station as otherwise I'd have booked the Premier Inn!

palmersears

Established Member
I've heard similar complaints regarding the location of that hotel, Tech. A friend of mine came up to watch his team (Plymouth) play Crewe and ended up plumping for the same hotel on the basis of the booking website (not sure if it was booking.com as well) giving a location near the station. He too ended up shelling out for a couple of taxis.

Also, I have no idea how the travelodge was £60, but I didn't question it, just booked! Beds are naff, but I reasoned I'd only be in them for 5/6 hours a night, so could live with it. Also get 5% cashback via Quidco as well :D

Butts

Veteran Member
I've heard similar complaints regarding the location of that hotel, Tech. A friend of mine came up to watch his team (Plymouth) play Crewe and ended up plumping for the same hotel on the basis of the booking website (not sure if it was booking.com as well) giving a location near the station. He too ended up shelling out for a couple of taxis.

Also, I have no idea how the travelodge was £60, but I didn't question it, just booked! Beds are naff, but I reasoned I'd only be in them for 5/6 hours a night, so could live with it. Also get 5% cashback via Quidco as well :D

If it's a refurbed Travelodge the beds are not that bad !!!

£60 for 3 Nights is very good - almost goes back to the £19 Room Sales. Cheapest I have seen recently (without a discount) is mid-twenties :idea:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No.21, Aylestone Hill, Hereford

I stayed here so I could do a works Christmas meal and drinks on Sunday, and to go bashing on Monday.

Breakfast was included, but I was out too early for it, so I can't comment on that. The double room was huge, the bathroom was also an excellent size but sadly due to oversleeping I didn't get to try the shower. The bed was brilliantly comfortable and there was a kettle with tea and coffee in the room too. The general ambiance of the place was also really nice too, and I now regret not fully taking advantage of the comfort. Should have gone back to the room so much earlier than I did...

Highly recommended place!

Established Member
No.21, Aylestone Hill, Hereford

I stayed here so I could do a works Christmas meal and drinks on Sunday, and to go bashing on Monday.

Breakfast was included, but I was out too early for it, so I can't comment on that. The double room was huge, the bathroom was also an excellent size but sadly due to oversleeping I didn't get to try the shower. The bed was brilliantly comfortable and there was a kettle with tea and coffee in the room too. The general ambiance of the place was also really nice too, and I now regret not fully taking advantage of the comfort. Should have gone back to the room so much earlier than I did...

Highly recommended place!

Talking of places to stay in Hereford, I would highly recommend Kidwells House. I stayed there early last year and was extremely impressed, the room, customer service and the breakfast were all excellent. 10/10.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Kidwells House is not a familiar name to me, I might have to investigate it!

EDIT: Ah wait, now I know the place you mean after a search on Maps for it. Never stayed myself but glad to hear it's good. I'm going to need to remember it for future evenings out or early morning bashing

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Kingston Hotel Leeds:

quite near the uni and set back a bit from the road.

Not somewhere you d take your Mother but for a lads night out or bashers rest when you just want a reasonable bed, kettle and shower its fine and IMO certainly beats a Travelodge. Not purfect by far but nout wrong with it iether for the money.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Premier Inn Chingford:

5 minute walk uphill from the station, £53 for the night at short notice without breakfast. Clean, well appointed room, friendly staff and a rather quirky building next to a country park. I'd say its worth it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Had my first experience of an "Easy Hotel" staying in Glasgow last night prior to an early flight to Southampton this Morning.

Overall impression a complete "**** tip" in terms of decor and ambience.

However it did have a couple of redeeming features :

1. The Shower was really powerful even though a bit cramped.
2. Full Sized Bath Sheets provided.

If this is typical of the product it's more akin to a private room in a Hostel.

Never thought I would consider the Travelodge which is right next door a "High Class Establishment" - compared to this it is. :p

Slightly annoying I booked through Booking.com for £29.99 and could have got it direct on the night for £25 :cry:

These places are worth £20 Tops.......

Coffee Machine would be a great idea.

dave87016

Established Member
My original plan was to get the 1355 from York HST to Inverness on 23rd Jan then on 25th jan get the 07:55 Inverness to Kings X then 16:36pm Paddington - Exeter, for a 8 day Freeom Of South West Rover but decided it was to risky weather wise

Instead I'm doing the 13:55 York - Haymarket on the 24th jan then the next day the 08:30 Edinburgh - Kings X ( HST) then 14:06 Paddington - Newton Abbot then onto Paignton for 8 days on Freedom Of South West Rover

Has anyone stayed at Edinburgh Haymarket Travelodge ? If so how did they find it?

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have visited people staying there but not stayed. Its an older hotel they took over, some rooms can be a bit noisy Iv heard but other than that it appears to be standard Travelodge fodder.

@butts, the Easy hotel is a qualitty offering vs the TL next door believe me, im sorry you didnt like it but I guess it depends if you see it as simply a bed and a shower in which case its a good call

dave87016

Established Member
Thanks very much Blindtraveler I really appreciate your input , Well I get to Haymarket 16:37pm so will check in drop my luggage off have a shower, then go on station for a while then have a few pints before heading back to hotel

richw

Veteran Member
These places are worth £20 Tops.......

Coffee Machine would be a great idea.

Good news... I paid £19 a night in the Croydon version, which travelodge wanted over £100 a night for the same weekend in Croydon,

Butts

Veteran Member
Good news... I paid £19 a night in the Croydon version, which travelodge wanted over £100 a night for the same weekend in Croydon,

Well done with that :p

On a serious point the Travelodge/Premier Inn Variable Pricing Structure leaves me in a tizz sometimes. On a psychological level I associate both with £30-£50 night . I have seen both being advertised in the hundreds at times of peak demand, but could never contemplate paying that much personally. :idea:

Established Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere to stay in Eastern or Central Glasgow? Preferably a chain within easy walking distance of a station. I'll need a room for two nights in late March, having just booked Leeds to Glasgow for £21.40 return in VTEC's current sale.

Thanks in advance

Kite159

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere to stay in Eastern or Central Glasgow? Preferably a chain within easy walking distance of a station. I'll need a room for two nights in late March, having just booked Leeds to Glasgow for £21.40 return in VTEC's current sale.

Thanks in advance

A couple basic places I have used in the past is the Euro Hostel (private room) & St Enochs Guest House. Nothing to shout about in terms of facilities but location is less than 5 minutes from Glasgow Central.

Although depends what you want from the hotel, if it is just for a bed for the night before heading out to spot/photo units then they are OK,

Butts

Veteran Member

Thanks in advance

Travelodge/PremierInn/Easy Hotel.....

Bang your dates into booking.com or the like and you should be able to get sub £30 per night without to much effort.

Established Member
Thanks for your suggestions, has anyone used Z-Hotel near Queen Street?

I always stay in the Central hotel when in Glasgow but it may be a bit out of your budget range?

Looks lovely but sadly well out of my price range!

A couple basic places I have used in the past is the Euro Hostel (private room) & St Enochs Guest House. Nothing to shout about in terms of facilities but location is less than 5 minutes from Glasgow Central.

Although depends what you want from the hotel, if it is just for a bed for the night before heading out to spot/photo units then they are OK,

I'm tempted by Euro Hostel, all I need is somewhere to crash out at the end of the day before going out the next. Good location as well by the looks of it.

Edit: I've booked Z-Hotel near Queen Street, a single room with ensuite for £35/night, with ensuite, free Wi-Fi etc. Seems highly reviewed.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Premier Inn, Lowestoft.

It's £7-8 in a taxi from the station, so on the outskirts really. Typical Premier Inn, but a fairly nice one. Shower was decent and I had a good, quiet nights sleep. Very clean, friendly and helpful staff who were happy to book a taxi back to the station for me. It's next to a Brewers Fare pub, which again was a good example.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Z-Hotel sounds interesting for a future trip where I will be heading away from Glasgow on the 05:20 Oban service