• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR fares showing PRIV discount, but unable to buy at the station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesTT

I looked up a ticket on BR fares site with Priv discount applied and a discounted ticket was listed. When I enquired at the ticket office the staff advised me Priv was not applicable to the ticket in question. Does this often happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesTT

Spirit of Scotland rover ticket, seems to have this problem. I found recently is it the same one?

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
You will have to give the exact ticket for us to work out why.

For the seventeenth time, no we do not sell Priv travelcards, one may slip through the net and be on sale from some obscure station but they never show up on my ticket machine :lol:

The above is one example of a common ticket requested that we don't do.

JamesTT

It was a rover ticket yes. Priv can't be applied to rovers and rangers then? Sorry if this has been asked before. (They could apply it to an all line rover though at the ticket office)

RJ

Established Member
I'll have a look in the Knowledgebase when I get to work tomorrow.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It was a rover ticket yes. Priv can't be applied to rovers and rangers then? Sorry if this has been asked before. (They could apply it to an all line rover though at the ticket office)

Depends on the ticket - some can but others not. Not knowing what ticket you mean it is impossible to tell.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Spirit of Scotland rover ticket, seems to have this problem. I found recently is it the same one?

That is a <stupid> new name for the Freedom of Scotland Flexipass which was definitely available at priv rates, I used them on a few occasions myself a few years ago.

Not many other tickets that have validity on external bus, coach (and ship) services are available at priv discount, The Explore Wales tickets are probably the best value along with the Scottish rover.

Haywain

Veteran Member

Priv can be applied to Rover tickets but not to Ranger tickets in general terms, but there may be exceptions in both cases. Without knowing exactly which ticket it isn't possible to say.

TEW

Established Member
That is a <stupid> new name for the Freedom of Scotland Flexipass which was definitely available at priv rates, I used them on a few occasions myself a few years ago.

Not many other tickets that have validity on external bus, coach (and ship) services are available at priv discount, The Explore Wales tickets are probably the best value along with the Scottish rover.

Seems to be an issue at the moment, and it's not just with Priv fares. They discounted the full rate fares for the Winter but there are no longer any Railcard discounted fares available. Presumably it should still be possible to get a discount on the full fare, rather than a discount on the already discounted fare. But at the moment the only fares available are full Adult and Child fares.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Seems to be an issue at the moment, and it's not just with Priv fares. They discounted the full rate fares for the Winter but there are no longer any Railcard discounted fares available. Presumably it should still be possible to get a discount on the full fare, rather than a discount on the already discounted fare. But at the moment the only fares available are full Adult and Child fares.
Very interesting. Maybe it's a bug in certain ticket issuing systems then, that they can't show more than one version/price for a given rover. BR Fares shows two different prices for the full public rate:
http://www.brfares.com/#!rovers?nlc=J176

But just one for PRIV rate:
http://www.brfares.com/#!rovers?nlc=J176&rlc=PRV

It might be worth shopping around at different TOCs that use different make/model ticket issuing systems in their booking offices?

Haywain

Veteran Member

Knowledgebase is quite clear that staff discounts are not available on this product. Railcard discounts are available though.

Haywain

Veteran Member
ScotRail are offering a discount on the rover at the moment, which means they have removed all railcard discounts.
This is not reflected in Knowledgebase. Is it therefore possible to buy one at the normal rates with a railcard discount? And does Priv discount normally apply? Or is it only a discount for those who don't normally receive a discount? One way or another it's a well intentioned mess.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
This is not reflected in Knowledgebase. Is it therefore possible to buy one at the normal rates with a railcard discount? And does Priv discount normally apply? Or is it only a discount for those who don't normally receive a discount? One way or another it's a well intentioned mess.
No just the general discount applies, and yes ,no

Haywain

Veteran Member
In which case anyone who would normally receive a discount and to whom this is actually a price increase should complain to Scotrail.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Spirit of Scotland is on promotion with 20% off until the end of March. I wonder if that's anything to do with it.

RJ

Established Member

I think that's why the Priv discount has gone. Similarly the Valleys Day Ranger used to be available with Priv but given the price would be cheaper than many singles on Stagecoach's services, it didn't make much sense.

Agreed with Haywain, the Spirit of Scotland discount section in the Knowledgebase definitely says there is no staff discount available.

JamesTT

Thank you for the information. It would be good if the BR fares site was updated to reflect the amendments to what discounts are available.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is it likely the Rover and Ranger tickets will not be here for much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.