• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Reported elsewhere Springfield have got a new Enviro 200 to replace the leased one currently being used on the 200 route and a Metrocity is arriving for the 289 route at the end of the month.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danfilm007

Out of interest what do D&G use on the 1 and 8 routes now, given most of the 13 reg SRs are now used on the 88 route?

There was one of the ex-London 09 plate 200s, with an 11 plate SR with the brown and cream seats and one of the hired-in yellow and blue Solos on the 1A/B, I think there was a Dart and a Solo on the 8, this was all on Saturday

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It appears that this was an admin error by the Traffic Commissioners - route has NOT been cancelled.

Extract from N & P (my bold):

General Notes
Layout and presentation – Entries in each section (other than in section 5) are listed in alphabetical order. Each entry is prefaced by a reference number, which should be quoted in all correspondence or enquiries.
Further notes precede sections where appropriate.
Accuracy of publication – Details published of applications and requests reflect information provided by applicants. The Traffic Commissioner cannot be held responsible for applications that contain incorrect information.

I hope a suitably contrite apology is forthcoming from whoever is responsible for the VOSA website!

83G/84D

Established Member
Mikro were running a 59 reg plain white Enviro 200 on the 39 today. Not mentioned elsewhere is that the route has changed, cutting out the diversion to Rope Surgery - thus it no longer goes past my house !

Also D & G have lost the Mon -Fri evening service 6E to Arriva.

Anyone seen what Hollinsheads are using in Congleton yet ?

Spent this morning at Crewe bus station, not the most attractive bus station that's for sure.It certainly hasn't got any better since my last visit.Mikro were using white E200 KX59 CYV on service 39.Otherwise just the usual stuff from D&G, Arriva & First Potteries.

pemma

Veteran Member

pemma

Veteran Member
If anyone's interested in where the former GHA vehicles which used to be used in Cheshire East are now:

Three of the former Cheshire East council owned Solos are with Llew Jones, Llanrwst and the rest have gone on permanent holiday to Ireland and are with Slieve Bloom, Co. Laois and Knockmay, Portlaoise.

Two of the fairly new Solo SRs are now in Lanark with Blue Bus, another is with Faresaver, Chippenham and the 4th is with Ensign - still unsold.

3 of the former Gold 88 Enviros are now in Aylesbury - one with Red Rose Travel and the other with Red Line Travel and the fourth is with Mid Wales Motors, Aberystwyth.

The Beartown Enviros are with Roberts Travel Group, Hugglescote, Leicestershire and Mid Wales Travel, Aberystwyth, while the Gold 42 Enviros are with Faresaver, Chippenham.

The two Cheshire Connect Darts are unsold.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Noticed on the D&G Bus website that three brand new Solo SRs have joined the fleet and apparently have a 'Leighton Link' livery, so they must be for either the 12 or 42 service. While four of the recently acquired 09 reg Enviro 200s have moved to Adderley Green.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danfilm007

Noticed on the D&G Bus website that three brand new Solo SRs have joined the fleet and apparently have a 'Leighton Link' livery, so they must be for either the 12 or 42 service. While four of the recently acquired 09 reg Enviro 200s have moved to Adderley Green.

Interesting - I might go and have a hunt this weekend for a picture of one...

ag51ruk

Not seen these yet but the timetables page on the D&G website has been updated today to show a new "Leighton Link" logo for route 12.

Also noticed on buses this week that the Cheshire Travelcard can't be used on route 42 from next Monday

pemma

Veteran Member
Not seen these yet but the timetables page on the D&G website has been updated today to show a new "Leighton Link" logo for route 12.

Also noticed on buses this week that the Cheshire Travelcard can't be used on route 42 from next Monday

On the Timetables page it now says the 42 route is operated from the Adderley Green depot.

pemma

Veteran Member
Reported elsewhere Springfield have got a new Enviro 200 to replace the leased one currently being used on the 200 route and a Metrocity is arriving for the 289 route at the end of the month.

Metrocity is going to be put in to service on the 15:15 Knutsford to Macclesfield 27 service this afternoon, registration RH66 HOW. It's currently parked up at Knutsford bus station.

martinsh

Established Member
Something i kept forgetting to post, On the 23rd October Arriva Winsfords 6 Service became part funded by Cheshire East Council, With D&G's 12 Service being in that area i have a feeling the 6 Service is on its last legs

https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/493152/

You've got it wrong ! (I think)

1. Service 6 (and 12) is actually in Crewe - just run by Winsford depot.

2. What actually happened is that the 6E (Mon - Fri evening service) was taken over by Arriva from D & G at that date.

Established Member
The new 99 timetable is bizarre , the gaps are very variable and is only going to reduce the patronage and viability further than what it is currently.

I've sent an email to them commenting on the changes.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
They are claiming reliability is poor when trying to operate an hourly service with one bus.

childwallblues

Established Member
The new 99 timetable is bizarre , the gaps are very variable and is only going to reduce the patronage and viability further than what it is currently.

Only registers a complaint, won't change their minds.

Established Member
Well they've said they are forwarding it onto the Local Authority so I'm happy with that even if it won't change the Councils plans.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

The gaps aren't very variable. Going into Macclesfield they alternate between being 75 and 105 minutes. So every other hour they're spending half an hour at Congleton. Is there anything interesting to do there?

Established Member
Macclesfield and Congleton are both sizable economic centres of Cheshire.

The 99 service has lost a lot of passengers from my observations over the last few years with lots of chopping and changing to the service by different operators - notably High Peak.

First it was half hourly Monday - Saturday
Then it was hourly Monday - Saturday
Then it was hourly Monday-Friday
and now it is no longer going to operate on a clockface timetable of either hourly or two hourly - coincidentally leading up to a 1.5 million pound cut to the subsidised network in 2018/19

Cynical I maybe but I believe this latest change is designed to reduce ridership to justify withdrawing it completely, given not so long ago the council were going to let the service go completely until GHA Coaches stepped in.

pemma

Veteran Member
Macclesfield and Congleton are both sizable economic centres of Cheshire.

The 99 service has lost a lot of passengers from my observations over the last few years with lots of chopping and changing to the service by different operators - notably High Peak.

First it was half hourly Monday - Saturday
Then it was hourly Monday - Saturday
Then it was hourly Monday-Friday
and now it is no longer going to operate on a clockface timetable of either hourly or two hourly - coincidentally leading up to a 1.5 million pound cut to the subsidised network in 2018/19

Cynical I maybe but I believe this latest change is designed to reduce ridership to justify withdrawing it completely, given not so long ago the council were going to let the service go completely until GHA Coaches stepped in.

The 99 (as it is now) and 27 both seemed to lose out because GHA were running them commercially and no other operator was willing to run them commercially. Cheshire East originally tried to avoid awarding a contract for a 27 Saturday service as well until they got complaints from people who work on Saturday and need the bus to get to work. However, the 200 service (which was and still is contracted) avoided being cut back despite a train service existing between Wilmslow and the Airport meaning it's only really needed to serve Styal, Quarry Bank Mill and the Viewing Park.

It should be noted the 38 service offers an alternative for getting between Congleton and Macclesfield, while the 14 also runs between Lyme Green and Macclesfield and the 92 runs between Buglawton and Congleton. Personally I was surprised they awarded a contract for the full route - I thought at most they'd do a limited peak time service to allow people living in Congleton to get to and from Lyme Green Business Park.

pemma

Veteran Member
I've noticed the very limited 47 service between High Legh and Warrington isn't mentioned on the Cheshire East website. Perhaps they think if they don't publicise it no-one will use it and they can withdraw the funding?
I noticed today that Brook Lane, Alderley Edge has a couple of disused yellow 'Cheshire Bus' bus stops along it (the type used in the 1990s.) Brook Lane is the road which is the road you'd take out of Alderley Edge to go towards Chorley/Great Warford/Mobberley/Knutsford. Does anyone know which bus service used to run along that road?

martinsh

Established Member
I noticed today that Brook Lane, Alderley Edge has a couple of disused yellow 'Cheshire Bus' bus stops along it (the type used in the 1990s.) Brook Lane is the road which is the road you'd take out of Alderley Edge to go towards Chorley/Great Warford/Mobberley/Knutsford. Does anyone know which bus service used to run along that road?

I seem to remember there used to be an infrequent service Great Warford - Alderley Edge - Wilmslow, and also a Tuesdays only service Alderley Edge - Mobberley - Altrincham

pemma

Veteran Member
I seem to remember there used to be an infrequent service Great Warford - Alderley Edge - Wilmslow, and also a Tuesdays only service Alderley Edge - Mobberley - Altrincham

I found some further information on a blog site. I remember the E69 but wasn't sure exactly what route it took by the time it was routed to serve a number of different villages opposed to being a direct service between A and B. I think that RR1? that started at Middle Walk, Knutsford (random place) also went to Alderley Edge on Mondays only but again I'm not sure on the exact route it took.

Altrincham – Holmes Chapel (E69):

Whilst we stay in Altrincham, the North Cheshire town had a number of limited shoppers’ services from outlying villages. One example was the E69 from Holmes Chapel. The original service was operated by Crosville Motor Service and as a NBC constituent between Knolls Green and Altrincham, offering passengers enough time to visit its market. There was one return journey on Tuesday (1045 and 1340 arriving 1115 and 1410) and another one on Saturday (1030 and 1230, arriving 1100 and 1300).

What Happened Next? In 2002, it continued to Alderley and was operated by Salford company Midwest. By 2008, it only operated on Saturdays and was extended to Holmes Chapel by then, with Town and District Travel taking over. The beginning of 2011 saw an operator revision with Tomlinson’s Travel taking over. Owing to public sector spending cuts, Cheshire East ceased funding the service which led to its withdrawal on the 9th December 2011. What a nice Christmas present for carless pensioners living in Mobberley (not!).

https://mancunian1001.wordpress.com...of-greater-manchester-the-not-so-perfect-ten/

While the bus stops are the old style it seems a shame they have been left there while there are unmarked bus stops on other routes e.g. 289 and 300 where a bus stop sign and a timetable display would be a useful addition. For instance, an old lady was waiting at an unmarked bus stop for a non-existent 12:45 run on the 300 service the other day even though 12:45 and 20:15 are the two times services don't run to allow driver breaks.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

According to the April 1990 Cheshire book:
E17: Macclesfield - Prestbury - Mottram - Alderley - Wilmslow Rail Sta.
E69: Alderley - Lindlow End - Mobberley - Ashley - Altrincham
287: Macclesfield - Prestbury - Mottram - Alderley - Wilmslow - Altrincham
ran along Brook Lane.

E59: Wilmslow - Alderley - Great Warford
ran along Rileys Lane.
Moving forward to 1992:
E17 remains;
E69 remains;
287 remains;
288 is new operating Altrincham to Wilmslow as per 287, then via Mobberley to Knutsford, perhaps not via Alderley Edge but close to;
E59 remains.

By 1994:
E17 is not shown;
E69 remains;
287 remains;
288 remains;
E59 remains.

In 1997:
E69 now operates via the E59 route from Alderley to Great Warford, picking up its old route at Knolls Green;
287 now operates Macclesfield - Wilmslow - Manchester Airport;
288 remains;
E59 merged with E69.

And I see the 'double post prevention' system has rejoined the Forum. Welcome back :lol:

The May 2003 map is the last one I have showing a service along Rileys Lane. By 2007 the 287 has become the 26A and operates direct Alderley to Wilmslow.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
287 now operates Macclesfield - Wilmslow - Manchester Airport;

I think it's a shame the Manchester Airport service now terminates in Wilmslow, it could be so much more useful if it continued beyond Wilmslow to somewhere which doesn't have a direct rail service to the Airport.

zuriblue

No like this

16613773945_99b043e37c_b.jpg

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.