• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting a Train Cleaning Job, Unbelievable!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyN

Hi Louby. I'm 48, though a very young and fit 48 through hours at the gym lol but you are right in what you say. I have not found the transistion to all things technical easy. Example being I am more comftable using a pen and paper as opposed to using a computer and definetly find all the politically correctness hard nowadays

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scott118

Hi Louby. I'm 48, though a very young and fit 48 through hours at the gym lol but you are right in what you say. I have not found the transistion to all things technical easy. Example being I am more comftable using a pen and paper as opposed to using a computer and definetly find all the politically correctness hard nowadays

and you don't see this as a barrier, given that today's world is so different from 20 years back? Louby is correct in that you are sometimes very much a first line of contact, for Joe public, even though, you are 'only' a cleaner (your demographic). You are a uniform, regardless of job role. Biting your tongue in this pc world, is a risk all employer's wouldn't entertain, in this day and age, given today's blame/claim culture. Towing the company line is paramount, and of course, the customer, whoever they are, is always correct. Put aside your personal opinions, and keep these, for your genuine friends, to mardle over, within a mess room. Banter, makes the world go round, as I'm sure you appreciate.

Being, straight, honest, and saying it as you see it, in some ways, is respectful, as we'd all know what you stand for. However to others, it will be viewed as, highly offensive. Not your problem you'll say, however, who has the real issue, in that context?

Enjoy the weekends off. You are better placed than i, on that count for sure.
:lol:

amateur

On Moderation
Shall we provide andyN a list of terms we are not allowed to use in the workplace, or subjects we shouldn't discuss at work, or questions you shouldn't ask or say!

Darandio

Established Member
Until you know me Dave Id suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself has it wouldn't end well if you spoke to me like that in person but people like you probably wouldn't in person.

For telling you how crap your attitude is? You should be thanking them.

It's blatantly obvious why a route back into the industry became harder for you.

AndyN

A lot of what you say is true. All this Politically Correct nonsense continues to baffle me and it is why my ambition lies no further than getting my Mortgage paid off and enough Pension to get by. I would like to retire at age 60 and get out of the working environment asap as the modern world continues having me shake my head. I was a carer for my Gran for 9 years and when she passed away and had to resume employment I noticed more and more of this PC Nonsense. Not only that I hate the fact that Employment Agencies came in and you have to go through them for most jobs, I let it be known that I think their vulchers and begrudge working for them. A job should be a job through the company itself. This is probably why I've been so annoyed at not getting on as a Train Presentation Operative (Cleaner). I would have been quite happy doing that for the next 10-11 years, get my Mortgage paid off, accrue more Pension money and then goodnight from me. It was never about progressiing to be a driver or conductor.

Nevillehill

A lot of what you say is true. All this Politically Correct nonsense continues to baffle me and it is why my ambition lies no further than getting my Mortgage paid off and enough Pension to get by. I would like to retire at age 60 and get out of the working environment asap as the modern world continues having me shake my head. I was a carer for my Gran for 9 years and when she passed away and had to resume employment I noticed more and more of this PC Nonsense. Not only that I hate the fact that Employment Agencies came in and you have to go through them for most jobs, I let it be known that I think their vulchers and begrudge working for them. A job should be a job through the company itself. This is probably why I've been so annoyed at not getting on as a Train Presentation Operative (Cleaner). I would have been quite happy doing that for the next 10-11 years, get my Mortgage paid off, accrue more Pension money and then goodnight from me. It was never about progressiing to be a driver or conductor.

So you just want to be a cleaner to pay your mortgage off, come to Newton Heath, I will show you how to use a sweeping brush lol..

AndyN

PC Meaning Political Correctness. It seems to be a Modern Thing. Probably why Old School people like me struggle with the modern trends

Nevillehill

PC Meaning Political Correctness. It seems to be a Modern Thing. Probably why Old School people like me struggle with the modern trends

Im old school, I learned new skills for the modern railway.

Last edited by a moderator:

fredk

It's hard to be rejected but if you keep applying for them you will probably get one. There's a lot of competition for these kinds of jobs at the moment that's why they can really raise the standards. The small details count. I understand it's frustrating but that's how it is. Once you get to actually do the job no on will give a toss how PC you are. Good luck and I hope you manage to get one.

AndyN

Cheers Fred, Thanks for your king words . Keep plugging on. 2 Days later and I've calmed down now.

pdq

I can't see where age comes into this. I'm 44 and we had our first classroom computer when I was 10, with the Spectrum etc arriving not long after, so the OP would have had them for his last year or two in secondary school. All his adult life has been within the computer age. I work with plenty of people in their 50s and 60s who are avid computer users.

As for 'political correctness', think respect. Terms that were disrespectful, dehumanising or demeaning have been replaced by more inclusive, respectful language. Again, nothing to do with age.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

flappy8

I can't see where age comes into this. I'm 44 and we had our first classroom computer when I was 10, with the Spectrum etc arriving not long after, so the OP would have had them for his last year or two in secondary school. All his adult life has been within the computer age. I work with plenty of people in their 50s and 60s who are avid computer users.

As for 'political correctness', think respect. Terms that were disrespectful, dehumanising or demeaning have been replaced by more inclusive, respectful language. Again, nothing to do with age.

^^^^ This ^^^^

I'm older and didn't have computers at school. However I've embraced technology and that keeps me relevant to the modern world.

If I think back to what our local newsagent's shop was called by most people when I was a kid it makes me shudder now. Does anyone really think we want to return to that?

The world changes and we have to change with it, or we become unemployable and eventually marginalised.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am older than you, AndyN and I don't see much evidence of 'PC nonsense' in modern life. What I do see is a culture of greater respect, with racism, ageism and sexism being confronted, rightly, so that we can all have a better life.

It's arguable how effective this has been, and there signs that things are changing again, but the intention behind what is referred to as political correctness (inaccurately in my view) is good. Unfortunately, the term has become something of a catch all for anything that an individual isn't very keen on.

Established Member

I don't know, aware of one RPI three years from retirement who is like Prince Phillip for gaffes (racist, inappropriate, sexual innuendo... it just doesn't end). We only choose to work with him for the entertainment factor - he does get away with it on account of the fact he's utterly bonkers and looks about 200.

Employees like this are vital to the rest of us. Whilst he's here, everyone's job is safe. :lol:

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Well said.
I'm in my 60's as are most of my friends, and none of us seem to have problems accepting the ways of the modern world.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think that some do genuinely struggle with the way things are today. A lot depends on the background of the individual, their education, skills and capabilities.

For me, it's bit like how some people are better equipped for things like DIY than others are. I'm a total failure in that area myself, and I don't mind admitting it :)

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Until you know me Dave Id suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself has it wouldn't end well if you spoke to me like that in person but people like you probably wouldn't in person. Again I asked you if you know me ? And if you don't, then don't make assumptions of me.

To all others who have respectfully replied on here, I am what you call Old School and tend to say what others are thinking but at least I'm straight. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong in the modern pc world lol
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And Dave, Don't we all try and get our foot in the door and gain every advantage we can in this day and age for I, We, Me etc etc etc. We all go to work for I, Me. Me so don't make yourself sound stupid and think before you speak

Wow, what an attitude - you would fail the attitude test straight away! <(

It's people like you that companies would want to avoid. The first thing I ever look at when interviewing people is their attitude to the job and whether they are likely to get on.

Sort your attitude, work on anger management and you might stand a chance

Yes, many things were better 20 years ago but conversely, many things were far worse. Unfortunately we can't all go about with rose-tinted spectacles

I am old school too. And I have to deal with all sorts in my line of work including recruitment agencies. As for "PC", I don't let it affect me, I just get on with my job and many thank me for it whilst many do not. Unfortunately, this is the way of the modern world and we have to move with the times.

If you show the "don't care much" attitude, you are not going to take pride in your work. The travelling public (like myself) would like a clean train and many cleaners (...sorry "operatives") take pride in what they do.

If you want a cleaning job, you can come and clean my house - oh, sorry, you failed the attitude test so you can't...<D

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Would do anything just even for a job cleaning trains but there's nothing

red2005

Wow, what an attitude - you would fail the attitude test straight away! <(

It's people like you that companies would want to avoid. The first thing I ever look at when interviewing people is their attitude to the job and whether they are likely to get on.

Sort your attitude, work on anger management and you might stand a chance

Yes, many things were better 20 years ago but conversely, many things were far worse. Unfortunately we can't all go about with rose-tinted spectacles

I am old school too. And I have to deal with all sorts in my line of work including recruitment agencies. As for "PC", I don't let it affect me, I just get on with my job and many thank me for it whilst many do not. Unfortunately, this is the way of the modern world and we have to move with the times.

If you show the "don't care much" attitude, you are not going to take pride in your work. The travelling public (like myself) would like a clean train and many cleaners (...sorry "operatives") take pride in what they do.

If you want a cleaning job, you can come and clean my house - oh, sorry, you failed the attitude test so you can't...<D

You see admins....It is fantastic posts like this that are the reason we need a "like button" on here.

Gotta love this modern "blame game" culture we live in.......If a kid is a little prat or maybe just not doing so well in school the blame is automatically taken down some medical route and it's a "attention disorder"

Or in this case if a bloke has a terrible attitude towards employment ,people and pretty much everything else it's blamed on 'political correctness' .........absolute rubbish.

Why do people honestly get so bitter and start devaluing jobs and blaming the system when they're unsuccessful? Andy I'll tell you something now and just for the record I'd have no quarrels in telling you this face to face.......and you should like this as it's going away from the political correctness" you see as rife.

YOU SIMPLY WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.......This time anyway.

And with your attitude I'm glad you didn't get through. Despite a lot of people thinking the railway Is a paradise (in comparison to a lot of industries it actually is) it isn't. ....There are far too many serial moaners as it is!! Those who came into the job just for the money, and like you came to pay the bills and when the novelty wore off became extras from the walking dead.

How many other cleaning jobs out there pay what this job does? Are you that naive to think you were going to be the only applicant? If there were only two applicants are you that naive to think you'd still be the better of the two?

You can talk about it being "just a cleaning job" etc etc etc but let's look at the bigger picture for a sec....so far in this thread you've shown yourself to be.....

Threatening
disrespectful
money motivated
critical
naive
paranoid
living in the past
unable to accept constructive criticism.
intimidating.

Now let's be honest....what employer in their right mind would go for that kind of employee to be the face of their company? Slate the system all you wish but to me it's worked a treat in this case.

AndyN

Red2005, fair enough mate, has I have already said I maybe went a bit far in the beginning and have definetly give people the wrong impression of me in some ways on here. Yes I am old school and say whats on my mind, good or bad but I am also a hard worker and am good at what job I may be doing and am very friendly and easy to get on with unless anyone makes me otherwise.

But of your character reference of course I am money motivated, aernt you. Would you go to work for nothing because I wouldn't. I have tried very hard to get back in this Industry, I never expected a free ride. That's why I did a stint In Leeds for 2 Months doing a TPO Job via a agency, paying my own way up there and passed my PTS to get it on my CV. I also did several related courses so never expected a free ride so obviously I was a little disappointed that I failed just because I never passed a test that had no relevance to the job I applied for. The only thing I'm guilty of is airing my frustration on a forum I admit. I never meant to offend anyone I can assure you

Last edited:

red2005

Red2005, fair enough mate, has I have already said I maybe went a bit far in the beginning and have definetly give people the wrong impression of me in some ways on here. Yes I am old school and say whats on my mind, good or bad but I am also a hard worker and am good at what job I may be doing and am very friendly and easy to get on with unless anyone makes me otherwise.

But of your character reference of course I am money motivated, aernt you. Would you go to work for nothing because I wouldn't. I have tried very hard to get back in this Industry, I never expected a free ride. That's why I did a stint In Leeds for 2 Months doing a TPO Job via a agency, paying my own way up there and passed my PTS to get it on my CV. I also did several related courses so never expected a free ride so obviously I was a little disappointed that I failed just because I never passed a test that had no relevance to the job I applied for. The only thing I'm guilty of is airing my frustration on a forum I admit. I never meant to offend anyone I can assure you

There's nothing wrong with speaking whilst using an iron fist....maybe just wear a velvet glove over it from time to time.

Yeah like I said I go to work to purely pay the bills and put food on the table....but is it my motivation? Nah not for me....what happens when the novelty factor of a decent wage wears off? You've gotta have some form of enjoyment/satisfaction /pride there otherwise it just turns into an existence where you dread the alarm going off.

Fair play to.you on the courses you attended that's a lot more than most would do! From what I've read and gone through in recent times in terms of recruitment most of it is now done on a point scoring basis so it may well just be a really fine margin that you were faced with.

Did you get any feedback if any was available? That's where a lot go wrong!

All I'll say mate is these forums are dangerous places and you really don't know who is watching/reading.....thing that irked me was "just a cleaner" comment.....The things those guys witness/go through/tend to I wouldn't wish on anyone......given the filth we sometimes deal with in the industry you could arguably say they're the heroes!

AndyN

I did my 2 Month stint in Leeds, done some Health & Safety Courses and a COSHH Course has I know they are keen on that. This was the first time I had been asked to do a Numercy and Literacy test. It wasn't the actual questions I struggled with, It was the speed in which I had to do them I struggled with and ended up having to rush and guess to catch up. I passed the Numercy Test and failed the Literacy test. I don't think Cleaning is a bad profession at all, I have cleaned trains before and done part time cleaning jobs in the evening in addition to working full time for extra income.

I think it may have come across wrong has I have tended to walk in to them positions straight away in the past, no tests, barerly a 5 minute interview and Ive been in so wrongly I admit, let of steam. I will learn to count to 10 or go for a walk next time ha ha :D

red2005

I did my 2 Month stint in Leeds, done some Health & Safety Courses and a COSHH Course has I know they are keen on that. This was the first time I had been asked to do a Numercy and Literacy test. It wasn't the actual questions I struggled with, It was the speed in which I had to do them I struggled with and ended up having to rush and guess to catch up. I passed the Numercy Test and failed the Literacy test. I don't think Cleaning is a bad profession at all, I have cleaned trains before and done part time cleaning jobs in the evening in addition to working full time for extra income.

I think it may have come across wrong has I have tended to walk in to them positions straight away in the past, no tests, barerly a 5 minute interview and Ive been in so wrongly I admit, let of steam. I will learn to count to 10 or go for a walk next time ha ha :D

I suppose in this "cover your backside" era that we live in there's far more paperwork and communications than there's ever been and with timings being so important etc I suppose that's just the route they've gone down in terms of their requirements.

Good that you have walked into these jobs before but this is the railway remember lol.....cleaning grades like most of the others have high numbers going for each position.....there's not many other industries that pay cleaners like the railway do lol.

Best way mate.....that's the only way most railway manage to get through the average day without throttling some member of the public lol.....like I say it's not a paradise ha.

amateur

On Moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN

AndyN said:

Yes, but what 'PC nonsense' is the issue?

Unless you answereD this already, what does the OP mean by today's PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.