• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plaxton Beaver Et Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great_Western

Had the dubious pleasure to be in Aberdare last week. Noticed that Globe Coaches were still operating an R plate Plaxton Bever mercedes breadvan thing on local services, Now surely something like that with bus seats couldnt have been registered as a coach? Anyone know why/how they're allowed to keep it in service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Had the dubious pleasure to be in Aberdare last week. Noticed that Globe Coaches were still operating an R plate Plaxton Bever mercedes breadvan thing on local services, Now surely something like that with bus seats couldnt have been registered as a coach? Anyone know why/how they're allowed to keep it in service?

22 seats or less are exempt

the101

As said, they could have removed seats to bring the vehicle below the cut-off, or alternatively they could just be ignoring the regulations.

Great_Western

They may have been nasty little things when they were everywhere, But it really seeems like nothing will kill them off:roll:

fgwrich

Established Member
They may have been nasty little things when they were everywhere, But it really seeems like nothing will kill them off:roll:

Some of the dam things even managed to survive treatment by Western Greyhound too, lasting longer than some of their Optare Solos! Although I'm not sure how much longer the Beaver 2 I had shredding its clutch through Bodmin survived - last seen leaving Padstow on a low loader! :lol:

CD

But they were very economical on fuel, and could make the difference between a service being viable or not.

Better to have a Merc than no service. :)

Great_Western

Some of the dam things even managed to survive treatment by Western Greyhound too, lasting longer than some of their Optare Solos! Although I'm not sure how much longer the Beaver 2 I had shredding its clutch through Bodmin survived - last seen leaving Padstow on a low loader! :lol:

I dont think Western Greyhound would have been the same without them. Last time I went down to Cornwall it just wasnt right not seeing one rattling over Looe bridge in that green and white livery :(

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But they were very economical on fuel, and could make the difference between a service being viable or not.

Better to have a Merc than no service. :)

Travel Cornwall operate one in the West Cornwall area. It can be found parked up at Sainsbury's in Penzance every evening and all day Sunday; no-one ever pinches it!

richw

Veteran Member
Group travel operate them on their Liskeard based services. It tends to vary between one with a rear lift, and one with coach seats (an ex WG vehicle I believe)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I dont think Western Greyhound would have been the same without them. Last time I went down to Cornwall it just wasnt right not seeing one rattling over Looe bridge in that green and white livery :(

You can still see a WG Solo as the main vehicles on the Liskeard polperro run, albeit in red, or a brand new Enviro 400 on the Plymouth polperro run.

Great_Western

Group travel operate them on their Liskeard based services. It tends to vary between one with a rear lift, and one with coach seats (an ex WG vehicle I believe)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

You can still see a WG Solo as the main vehicles on the Liskeard polperro run, albeit in red, or a brand new Enviro 400 on the Plymouth polperro run.

I havent been down that way since Western Greyhound went belly up, Has the bus scene changed the point where its worth taking a trip down there for a look?

richw

Veteran Member
I havent been down that way since Western Greyhound went belly up, Has the bus scene changed the point where its worth taking a trip down there for a look?

Pcb have citaros on the plymouth to padstow run, so quite a change from WGs breadvans, brand new enviro 400s on the routes via torpoint, Darts or ex WG solos on the liskeard to Callington/Looe routes.
Group travel and Jacketts operate low frequency routes from liskeard with Varios and sprinters normally.
First Kernow probably has its most modern average age ever

BestWestern

Established Member
Travel Cornwall operate one in the West Cornwall area. It can be found parked up at Sainsbury's in Penzance every evening and all day Sunday; no-one ever pinches it!

Many of them need an ignition key ;)

I drove 709Ds, rather liked them. The vibration was akin to having someone doing roadworks behind the cab, but they were good fun! Certainly more enjoyable than a TurboDaily. Plaxton didn't cover themselves in glory with the build quality of the Beaver, though the Beaver 2 was worse. Marshall's efforts on Iveco chassis seemed considerably better put together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.