• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow and Ice Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim_lathe

Crews/trains where in wrong place following earlier fatality involving 1P30.

Yes, from my workplace we saw the whole sorry performance and the subsequent operations. We overlook the station and the line. Not a nice sight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LordCreed

Snowing heavily in crewe half hour ago. My coat had blobs of snow just from the walk to the train. Stafford however is lacking snow.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Job's gone seriously bad on the GEML. Multiple signal failures at the London end. Last time I looked there was one train on the East Side of LST.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, from my workplace we saw the whole sorry performance and the subsequent operations. We overlook the station and the line. Not a nice sight.

It really is an unpleasant experience & sadly there is no answer or cure to the problem.

al78

Established Member
Winter weather in winter shock!

(and of course the only reason why this is news is it just happens to be affecting SE England)

Oh what a surprise, another attempt to have a pop at people for the hideous crime of living in a certain part of the country. The tribal primitive nonsense that people come out with is really pathetic. :roll:

philthetube

Established Member
DE-icers running on the underground tonight, this is a statement not a question.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Could be disruption tomorrow due to Coastal Flood warnings. Lowestoft, Yarmouth, Harwich branch, possibly even the Clacton and C2C lines run through flood warning zones.

tim_lathe

DE-icers running on the underground tonight, this is a statement not a question.

I know that these trains will be ones with sleet brushes and fluid to keep the current rails clean through sheer use and burning off the ice. What might be useful to explain is that they are NOT salt / gritting trains, as it is well known what effect salt has (in terms of corrosion) on steel rails and fastenings.

A good point to make is just what the effect on the line is of excessive use of salt on platforms (usually a good half inch thick in GEML land - far too much).

Railways are not roads.

johnnychips

Established Member
Oh what a surprise, another attempt to have a pop at people for the hideous crime of living in a certain part of the country. The tribal primitive nonsense that people come out with is really pathetic. :roll:

If he meant it very seriously I'd agree with you, but if it was what I expect, he was having a laugh - we do get time off from walking our whippets and eating black puddings to indulge ourselves in half-truth ironies, you know :D

Raul_Duke

If he meant it very seriously I'd agree with you, but if it was what I expect, he was having a laugh - we do get time off from walking our whippets and eating black puddings to indulge ourselves in half-truth ironies, you know :D

Speak for yerself, I've got a 34 hour shift down't pit to get to, through 18 feet of snow!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What's the maximum height of snow relative to the top of the rail above which services get suspended?

SGB1953

I was very impressed with the Hastings line service this morning. My train (1H90; 06:04 Hastings to London Charing Cross) left Tunbridge Wells only 5 minutes late and arrived at Waterloo East only one minute late.

Well done to all concerned!

There seemed to be quite a lot of very wet snow last night, which settled to a depth of approximately 1-2cm where I was (central Tunbridge Wells). It then froze some time after I went to bed. I imagine it was much worse in the countryside.

No doubt all will go wrong later, but it's nice to have good news to report after snow!

philthetube

Established Member
I know that these trains will be ones with sleet brushes and fluid to keep the current rails clean through sheer use and burning off the ice. What might be useful to explain is that they are NOT salt / gritting trains, as it is well known what effect salt has (in terms of corrosion) on steel rails and fastenings.

A good point to make is just what the effect on the line is of excessive use of salt on platforms (usually a good half inch thick in GEML land - far too much).

Railways are not roads.

Quite right, no grit.

All Underground trains, excluding the Victoria line have sleet brushes but only a percentage have De-icing caperbility.

The underground does not use Salt on platforms, or anywhere else as far as I am aware, the stuff they use is called Killfrost, as far as I know it is an amonia based product.

boxy321

I've seen that much salt on platforms at Coventry, people getting off have said 'has it been snowing?' as it's white when it's dry.

sprinterguy

Established Member
What's the maximum height of snow relative to the top of the rail above which services get suspended?
This page may be of interest to you:
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/keeping-trains-moving-snow-ice/
•The first line of defence, before snow reaches 18 inches high, is the miniature snow plough (MSP). This fits to the underside of a locomotive at the front and can be adjusted according to the depth of snow. They are ideal for clearing a route.
•We also use Independent and Beilhack snow ploughs. The Beilhack is shorter in height than the Independent, giving the driver greater visibility over the plough.
•Two locomotives must be coupled up to use the Independent plough, due to its size. This is required operationally but also gives flexibility and resilience. Both Beilhack and Independent ploughs are stored at strategic locations and help to clear heavy snow, but aren’t deployed for avalanches, which could contain hidden rocks, ice and debris.
Locos and units must be fitted with miniature snowploughs to operate in snow more than twelve inches deep, but other than that, as long as Network Rail have access to a snowplough in the vicinity then it seems that the railway can pretty much crack on. Though I do recall a report a few winters ago of the crew on a West Coast Railway operated snowplough working electing to turn back on one of the freight branches around Buxton when the drifts got higher than the cab windows.

Hence, in the absence of an independent snowplough then the job stops when snow reaches 12 inches for non-snowplough fitted stock, and 18 inches for stock fitted with miniature ploughs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In my days on the Scottish Region it was when the locomotives stuck.
Yeah, there's some dramatic photos on the walls of the Bridge of Orchy Hotel showing a class 37 hauled passenger train trapped in drifts on the nearby West Highland line, sometime during the BR blue era. Big, heavy locomotives could generally bull their way through better than today's modern lightweight units, though I have seen a couple of impressive videos of 156s shooting snow left and right with their miniature snowploughs on Rannoch Moor in more recent times.

Last edited:

RichardKing

Significant flooding between Berwick and Polegate has been reported. Line blocked.

1F64 was the only train to run between the two stations - at approximately 00:10 - after the flooding was reported. The down line was blocked for roughly 5 hours, whereas the up line hasn't seen a train since 19:00 yesterday evening!

I only went through that area about an hour before it all went wrong!

Deepgreen

Established Member
1F64 was the only train to run between the two stations - at approximately 00:10 - after the flooding was reported. The down line was blocked for roughly 5 hours, whereas the up line hasn't seen a train since 19:00 yesterday evening!

I only went through that area about an hour before it all went wrong!

Flooding from rain or the high tide?

sprinterguy

Established Member
One of the periodic reports from control earlier stated that performance is at 100% for one national passenger operator, with no issues to report. The railway keeps on rolling, while my better half ummed and ahhed about whether she would be able to get to work in the car through the one inch of snow we had this morning (cars all over the road, and off it too, apparently, despite such a pathetically thin coating).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Lots of lovely snow on the Pennines today, from a pleasant trip up the Settle Carlisle.

tsr

Established Member
One of the periodic reports from control earlier stated that performance is at 100% for one national passenger operator, with no issues to report. The railway keeps on rolling, while my better half ummed and ahhed about whether she would be able to get to work in the car through the one inch of snow we had this morning (cars all over the road, and off it too, apparently, despite such a pathetically thin coating).

Significant incidents of disruption have been very limited but have still occurred in a few places. One or two routes in Kent suffered very badly (one train was stranded on the Up Chatham Loop at Chislehurst for a good few hours), and a number of the object detection LCs on the east side of the country really didn't like the snow, which led to delays. There were also a couple of berthing locations on the Southern network which would have been inaccessible if needed, due to thick sheet ice on walking routes away from where depot/station staff would treat them, but as there's been an ASLEF strike it hasn't actually been an issue.

Broadly speaking, though, you're right. It's probably been far more hazardous and far less punctual to be a driver or pedestrian today. As usual, local councils and major businesses have become very good at clearing and gritting the main roads and the driveways to their own facilities, but it's really no good if they completely ignore even the most well-used pavements and the side roads where people actually put their cars or where a domestic emergency might arise.

They probably haven't been operated by TOC drivers since the old converted EPBs etc were retired a few years ago

SWT drivers used to drive weedkilling MPVs on the North Downs Line circuits up until very recently. I haven't seen them on RHTTs recently so I'm not sure if they still have the knowledge or contracts.

Carlisle

Established Member
SWT drivers used to drive weedkilling MPVs on the North Downs Line circuits up until very recently. I haven't seen them on RHTTs recently so I'm not sure if they still have the knowledge or contracts.
Ok thanks, didn't realise they'd worked them in recent times

TEW

Established Member
SWT drivers still crew MPVs in the Wessex area.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Alt. 248 gives you degree symbol: °
If your using a Windows computer. Not so on a Mac, Unix or other machine or mobile or other smart device.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Significant flooding between Berwick and Polegate has been reported. Line blocked.
If only the flooding had occurred on a strike day...

Status
Not open for further replies.