• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow and Ice Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Juniper Driver

Established Member
i see the Standard so called paper went into another rant because the service cocked up on SWT last night.:roll:

That toilet rag slags the railways all the time because it has nothing better to do.

I missed the fun because I was early turn.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
The main issue appeared to be a 455 with a failed horn which had to run at 20mph from Claygate to Wimbledon, then terminate at Wimbledon to run in to the depot. This caused some lengthy delays to other London bound trains.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Awww, no need to give L&Y Robert the 3rdº

(Alt-0 on an ancient iMac) :)
I didn't mean to be hard. Just get the urge to mention others forms when people only refer to one.

I see chain Facebook posts and they mostly explain how to copy and paste them if using a mobile phone or smart device, when if one tried it using a laptop or desktop computer they will find it doesn't work.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i see the Standard so called paper went into another rant because the service cocked up on SWT last night.:roll:

That toilet rag slags the railways all the time because it has nothing better to do.

I missed the fun because I was early turn.
Makes change for it to be SWT! It's usually just the Tube or Southern. LOL! And yes I don't like their anti rail stance.

I like the comment from Routemaster in the comments below the article:
Nothing to do with the two minutes of snow that fell. The train broke down hours ago. Never happened like this when we had steam trains.......
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...wreaks-havoc-across-the-capital-a3439386.html

Hard to know if he's being sarcastic or for real.

Last edited:

SGB1953

You are joking.....?? :lol:

Sorry dangie I can't get the quote to work properly. Very sensibly I guess you were making the point that 1-2cm of snow is not a lot. That deserves a response. You're quite right of course, but there was quite a lot of snow before any settled. I was out running in it for 20 minutes and none settled in that time. I didn't think it was going to settle and was quite surprised a couple of hours later to see that in fact some snow had settled.

The other point is that you're quite right; this is the effete South and with the area being fairly low and urban we don't often get snow which settles. I would guess this was more settled snow than I see most years in this part of the town. The countryside around does seem to get more.

Because we get so little snow people don't tend to be prepared for it and the roads and trains are usually pretty bad after any snow. On this occasion, however, the trains were fine.

What I would like to know is why all went so well. I guess the advance warning helped, but were there any other factors?

Thanks for your comment anyway!

bramling

Veteran Member
Sorry dangie I can't get the quote to work properly. Very sensibly I guess you were making the point that 1-2cm of snow is not a lot. That deserves a response. You're quite right of course, but there was quite a lot of snow before any settled. I was out running in it for 20 minutes and none settled in that time. I didn't think it was going to settle and was quite surprised a couple of hours later to see that in fact some snow had settled.

The other point is that you're quite right; this is the effete South and with the area being fairly low and urban we don't often get snow which settles. I would guess this was more settled snow than I see most years in this part of the town. The countryside around does seem to get more.

Because we get so little snow people don't tend to be prepared for it and the roads and trains are usually pretty bad after any snow. On this occasion, however, the trains were fine.

What I would like to know is why all went so well. I guess the advance warning helped, but were there any other factors?

Speaking from the London area, it generally went well because what snow did fall generally didn't settle. There were some problems around close-of-traffic time due to ice however, though naturally this didn't make the media as it didn't affect the nine-to-fivers. <sigh>

The roads were a different story, how is people driving incompetently somehow the fault of "the authorities"?

AM9

Veteran Member
... The roads were a different story, how is people driving incompetently somehow the fault of "the authorities"?

I have the deepest sympathy for those charged with gritting the roads when the downpour comes between 3pm and 6pm on a weekday. There's no point in gritting bofore the snow settles as it just gets pushed into the gutter by the traffic. By the time that the snow starts falling, the roads are full of vehicles trying to get away before the rush, so the gritters cannot do much of the network as they are stuck in those queues.
Of course, the media then makes a big fuss saying "where were the gritters (that we pay for in out council tax)?" The gritting teams are damned either way.

al78

Established Member

I was in London that day and my guess it went well is that in London, Horsham and most points in between, it was just a slushy mess, not a proper covering of snow several inches deep. Another feature was that the surface water and slush didn't freeze until well into the night (if at all), so any ice problems would likely have occurred when most people are in bed. The next morning there were just little patches on the grass in my area so no major travel issues on Friday morning (roads were a bit icy though), although I'm not sure if there were any major delays on the trains that morning.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have the deepest sympathy for those charged with gritting the roads when the downpour comes between 3pm and 6pm on a weekday. There's no point in gritting bofore the snow settles as it just gets pushed into the gutter by the traffic. By the time that the snow starts falling, the roads are full of vehicles trying to get away before the rush, so the gritters cannot do much of the network as they are stuck in those queues.
Of course, the media then makes a big fuss saying "where were the gritters (that we pay for in out council tax)?" The gritting teams are damned either way.

A gritter was out on one of the main roads in Horsham spreading when I was heading to the station, around 11:30 am on Thursday.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I don't recall many forecasts of snow and its timing being so accurate for a very long time. I was at East Croydon at about 1650, where it was raining hard. After about ten minutes there a few flakes appeared in the rain and then progressively more. By the time I was travelling south the snow was in full force and the ground was greying over, at at Redhill it was torrential, with a full covering by about 1730. This was almost precisely the timing that had been forecast for the transition. By the time I got to Betchworth, and set out on my bike for home, I was kept to about 5 mph by the snow in my eyes. The roads were covered, but with no ice the surface was OK. Next morning though, it was iron-hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.