• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snowdonia Travel "acquired' by Cityfox

Status
Not open for further replies.

nesw

It's unfortunatly turned a bit personal on social media concerning this subject. It's a shame really as I'm not out to cause problems, only to highlight things that really don't appear clear cut. I particularly dislike public transport being given a bad reputation by dishonesty, also offers of employment for positions that don't exist. I'm not suggesting this is the case in this instance however, I do believe that in the long run this saga needs to be addressed.

Of course, the media would run with a story like this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RhysHand

Ok,

This has nothing to do with this thred or Snowdonia Travel Ltd, so we will not be commenting on anything taxi related.

As for Matt Harrison, legal proceedings are about to be taken against him, so I won't be commenting on anything he writes.

What I will say is that a marketing agreement was drawn up with Graham from Plymouth Taxis Ltd in 2015. Controllers would probably be unaware of those conversations however I have emailed graham and will be communicating with him about the way forward.

On an end note, there are many spotters which ask questions in good faith however most are directed attacks at me or CityFox. In the light of things Phil and I have taken the decision to no longer comment on this forum.

Obviously people may continue to comment as they wish but I would advise strongly to ensure it isn't libellous before posting.

All the best.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Ok,

This has nothing to do with this thred or Snowdonia Travel Ltd, so we will not be commenting on anything taxi related.

As for Matt Harrison, legal proceedings are about to be taken against him, so I won't be commenting on anything he writes.

What I will say is that a marketing agreement was drawn up with Graham from Plymouth Taxis Ltd in 2015. Controllers would probably be unaware of those conversations however I have emailed graham and will be communicating with him about the way forward.

On an end note, there are many spotters which ask questions in good faith however most are directed attacks at me or CityFox. In the light of things Phil and I have taken the decision to no longer comment on this forum.

Obviously people may continue to comment as they wish but I would advise strongly to ensure it isn't libellous before posting.

All the best.

My personal view is that you've now answered many people's thoughts anyway!!

Anybody who seriously believes that supposed threats of legal action will stop others from questioning what is going on is not just very immature but also naive in the extreme.

Some have questioned your supposed activities in your even younger years and some on here appear to also believe that there are more significant issues that you have still failed to mention. Perhaps if you'd been more open about such issues there wouldn't have been as many concerns.

THarris123

Established Member
Ok,

All the best.

I think I may have changed my opinion of Cityfox a little too early.

Certainly by posting that comment they're being quite cowardly. They clearly don't want to own up to these accusations. It does also make one wonder if even before the bus service starts, the taxi firm is failing. We won't find out of course, as they don't want to post on here.

I do wonder though why Phil or Rhys ever bothered to sign up on this forum - surely they knew with such a reputation as Cityfox and Rhys has, they'd have to put up with all these comments and questions.

I certainly wont be using such an untrustworthy and cowardly organisation as Cityfox taxis, Cityfox buses, Snowdonia Travel and whatever else they're calling themselves today.

embers25

Established Member
It's unfortunatly turned a bit personal on social media concerning this subject. It's a shame really as I'm not out to cause problems, only to highlight things that really don't appear clear cut. I particularly dislike public transport being given a bad reputation by dishonesty, also offers of employment for positions that don't exist. I'm not suggesting this is the case in this instance however, I do believe that in the long run this saga needs to be addressed.

Of course, the media would run with a story like this.

Sigh. You don't want to cause problems yet you clearly have no desire to ever use any service associated with Rhys so why call Plymouth or Bath or anywhere else in the first place other than to cause trouble and try to find fault. For someone so busy you seem to have plenty of time on your hands to follow every least detail of City Fox's movements. We get it..you don't like Rhys or City Fox and you clearly have a grudge to bear so just drop it. Also saying you weren't planning on posting again for a while was a joke as clearly you will post whenever you feel there is ANYTHING they do that you can critique from your completely "unbiased" viewpoint. Sad to see you go Rhys/Phil but understandable given you have a business to run and this thread is going round in circles due to nesw's hidden agenda which is not so hidden! I'm sure nesw et al will see this as a victory of sorts but I just think it's sad.

vicbury

I can't speak for the motives of anyone else, however I will call out any company that appeards to mislead the general public.

Rhys, and Cityfox, court attention by posting hyperbole all over social media. If First, Stagecoach, or anyone else, posted such hyperbole, we would scrutinise it in the same manner.

Olympian

Sigh. You don't want to cause problems yet you clearly have no desire to ever use any service associated with Rhys so why call Plymouth or Bath or anywhere else in the first place other than to cause trouble and try to find fault. For someone so busy you seem to have plenty of time on your hands to follow every least detail of City Fox's movements. We get it..you don't like Rhys or City Fox and you clearly have a grudge to bear so just drop it. Also saying you weren't planning on posting again for a while was a joke as clearly you will post whenever you feel there is ANYTHING they do that you can critique from your completely "unbiased" viewpoint. Sad to see you go Rhys/Phil but understandable given you have a business to run and this thread is going round in circles due to nesw's hidden agenda which is not so hidden! I'm sure nesw et al will see this as a victory of sorts but I just think it's sad.
It's not a case victory at all in my mind but the issue here is what exactly the business is that you say they have to run, and that seems to be the common theme of the various queries from posters, me included, in this thread and elsewhere as various bits of it just don't seem to align with what's on the group/company websites, tweets, Facebook pages etc.

We know they have 17(?) CityFox taxi licences in Bristol however the group website states for taxis that they have 105 employees and a fleet of 95 in Bristol, Bath and Plymouth. It also mentions the acquisition of Bath Spa Taxi in March 2016 (but the link to that announcement doesn't work) however people answering the contact number being tweeted for them say they're not part of CityFox. Likewise people answering the Plymouth CityFox taxi number being tweeted and advertised say they're not part of CityFox but now it's stated as only being a "marketing agreement" with them even though they don't seem to be aware of the offers being marketed on their behalf either. So hardly seems to align with "operating 90+ licensed hackney and private hire vehicles in the Bristol, Bath & Plymouth markets" as also stated on the group website.

For buses and coaches, it appears from all this that they now have a 3-vehicle operating licence, operated a bus service on Christmas and Boxing Day miles away from their Welsh operating centre and under a bus service registration that publicly available websites still say is only effective from tomorrow. Also no-one has yet stated seeing any of their vehicles at the listed operating centre, despite them advertising that having a fleet of 3, 5 employees, local maintenance facilities and "clients include corporate and business hire, social clubs, sporting teams and the education sector". Also their listed transport manager is the person that sold the company to them last year and no longer appears to work for them.

So whilst the above may indeed just be a big misunderstanding and not deliberately misleading as some believe, it's hardly surprising that people meanwhile continue to discuss and comment on it all on various transport forums like this whilst it continues to attract so much attention and intrigue.

nesw

A coach driving friend informed me a while ago that the Snowdonia business was initially advertised for sale on a Facebook group and he was wondering who purchased it.

On a separate note, it's interesting that people who are litigious often have something to hide. Robert Maxwell and a few other non-business people had this trait.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It does seem that there is something there (the Bristol taxi operation and Snowdonia Travel, for example) but also a load of smoke and mirrors.

I'm not sure why there is a need for smoke and mirrors - a small, hard-working, honest travel business is surely a commendable and respectable thing in its own right?

THarris123

Established Member
It does seem that there is something there (the Bristol taxi operation and Snowdonia Travel, for example) but also a load of smoke and mirrors.

I'm not sure why there is a need for smoke and mirrors - a small, hard-working, honest travel business is surely a commendable and respectable thing in its own right?

And indeed it will make us think that further now Phil and Rhys have left suspiciously.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

I think you will find that nobody on here has a grudge to bear. However, some of us don't like to be made to look like idiots when there is alleged to be quite a bit more to this whole story.

freetoview33

Established Member
I think this has all gone way too far!

Rhys is always on the defensive, when people are just pointing out genuine issues.

Last week was recycled adverts from a Southampton Taxi Company that were branded as "Sexist".

This week is offers that no one can actually get. Through whatever reason.

I don't think any of us can complain about his ambition, in fact it is admirable but, at least some of this seems to be misleading.

Did he start in the industry at age 12 like claimed?
Claims to be one of the largest Taxi operators in the South West, really?
Says there are operations in Bath and Plymouth, but from what we gather it is just a misunderstood marketing agreement.
And there is a range of 3 vehicles at Snowdonia travel!
I haven't seen the 7 buses there are apparently in Bristol.
Does City Fox have over 90 taxis as claimed? (They claim over 100 vehicles, so if they actually have 10 buses then they must have 90 taxis!)
What happened to excite venues??
and why 8 companies, to run a few taxis? and coaches??

Last edited:

matt_splat

Rhys is always on the defensive, when people are just pointing out genuine issues.

Last week was recycled adverts from a Southampton Taxi Company that were branded as "Sexist".

This week is offers that no one can actually get. Through whatever reason.

I don't think any of us can complain about his ambition, in fact it is admirable but, at least some of this seems to be misleading.

Did he start in the industry at age 12 like claimed?
Claims to be one of the largest Taxi operators in the South West, really?
Says there are operations in Bath and Plymouth, but from what we gather it is just a misunderstood marketing agreement.
Does City Fox have over 90 taxis as claimed? (They claim over 100 vehicles, so if they actually have 10 buses then they must have 90 taxis!)
What happened to excite venues??
and why 8 companies, to run a few taxis? and coaches??[/QUOTE

if any one has seen or thinks adverts are misleading the advertising standards agency would be the place to report it...... so they can take action not every one reads rail forums and can tell how they are being miss led....

duncombec

if any one has seen or thinks adverts are misleading the advertising standards agency would be the place to report it...... so they can take action not every one reads rail forums and can tell how they are being miss led....

This is the basic issue. The sort of "lobbing hand grenades and ducking" approach won't actually get anywhere in the long run. Anyone who has *genuine* concerns about any operations or claims made by any company, be that a small independent or a multinational operation, should take them up with the relevant authorities, be that the Traffic Commissioners, relevant licensing authorities or the ASA.

6Gman

Established Member

I take an interest in bus/coach operations in North Wales. Must confess I've never come across Snowdonia Travel (though that doesn't necessarily mean anything - I've only just discovered Vicky's Coaches of Colwyn Bay who have been trading for over a year). So I've asked twice on here what vehicles they have, and what services they've operated. No answer.

Of course, Rhys Hand is under no obligation to answer, but it seems odd that he's ignored the question twice.

nesw

This is the basic issue. The sort of "lobbing hand grenades and ducking" approach won't actually get anywhere in the long run. Anyone who has *genuine* concerns about any operations or claims made by any company, be that a small independent or a multinational operation, should take them up with the relevant authorities, be that the Traffic Commissioners, relevant licensing authorities or the ASA.

I'm sure that someone will contact the relevant people & I'd have thought that the owners of the Taxi companies in Plymouth/Bath/WSM would have dealt with the issue a while ago as Rhys posted notices of the acquisition of Fareride Taxi, Bristol, Bath Spa Taxi & Plymouth Taxis. Not to mention the 'marketing agreement' with Connexions bus.

Olympian

Well, yes, but I wouldn't have called it a 'spat'. More, myself questioning some of the failings of what is fundamentally a misleading advertising campaign (at best), and Mr Hand throwing his toys out of the pram when questioned about it.
Hardly seems like enough to warrant legal proceedings against you then, if indeed he really has.

backontrack

Established Member

Really?

I wonder if this Twitter spat is what is being referred to https://twitter.com/matt__harrison/status/819306757579309058?

Well, yes, but I wouldn't have called it a 'spat'. More, myself questioning some of the failings of what is fundamentally a misleading advertising campaign (at best), and Mr Hand throwing his toys out of the pram when questioned about it.

raw

(It's Michael Jackson eating popcorn in the music video for Thriller, BTW.)

Having looked at it, it's clear that Rhys' temperament has got him into trouble again. I would've expect a bit more self-control from a company MD, but apparently not.

Last edited:

Olympian

Having looked at it, it's clear that Rhys' temperament has got him into trouble again. I would've expect a bit more self-control from a company MD, but apparently not.
I'm also surprised that Phil puts up with it all, if he still does and his resignation as a director of Snowdonia already isn't an indication that they've fallen out. Surely he'd not want his own reputation in the industry to be tarnished?

the101

I'm also surprised that Phil puts up with it all, if he still does and his resignation as a director of Snowdonia already isn't an indication that they've fallen out. Surely he'd not want his own reputation in the industry to be tarnished?
If you read this thread (one that you have posted in numerous times, BTW), you'll see that the reason for this has been addressed in post 123.

Olympian

If you read this thread (one that you have posted in numerous times, BTW), you'll see that the reason for this has been addressed in post 123.
Yes, but only according to Mr Hand whose statements don't always appear stand up to scrutiny...

nesw

I thought a week might go by without a sound from the Fox however, Cityfox Taxi in Bath are now posting a new number on social media using the number of 'Centurian Cars'.

They still answer the 'phone as Centurian & when asked if they were aware that Cityfox were using the number I was swiftly passed over to 'the boss' who said he was aware of the 'arrangement' but didn't sound comfortable about it. (Who would be given that it was Bath Taxis last week) When I stated it was a bit odd, the only response was 'yes'! He appeared to be more interested in who I was than anything else. It could be one of the infamous 'marketing agreements' but then they don't answer as Cityfox, so there's little in it for either party.

What a way to run a business!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I thought a week might go by without a sound from the Fox however, Cityfox Taxi in Bath are now posting a new number on social media using the number of 'Centurian Cars'.

They still answer the 'phone as Centurian & when asked if they were aware that Cityfox were using the number I was swiftly passed over to 'the boss' who said he was aware of the 'arrangement' but didn't sound comfortable about it. (Who would be given that it was Bath Taxis last week) When I stated it was a bit odd, the only response was 'yes'! He appeared to be more interested in who I was than anything else. It could be one of the infamous 'marketing agreements' but then they don't answer as Cityfox, so there's little in it for either party.

What a way to run a business!

If you think about it, that can't be right.

Cityfox acquired Bath Spa Taxis - why would you then have a marketing agreement with one of your competitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.