• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Red Dragon

The TPE App hasn't been fixed overnight.
I've just tried to book Leeds to Manchester Picc tickets and it still won't take payment.
I contacted TPE via "Live Chat" and was told they had worked on it but there could be continuing issues.
I think I'll now book Northern tickets via Bradford "International" to Manchester Victoria.
Why on earth did TPE go live without properly testing and proving the app.
But of course - this is perhaps what we are all involved in ! ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not the best launch for the new app, you would have imagined they would have taken the new App offline to fix it rather than having it still displaying various error messages when you attempt to actually use it to buy tickets.

I doubt I will be the only one uninstalling it once I manage to get the new app discount to actually work.

--------

In other news, it appears the SWT £14 off-peak single offer is back from 14th January to 9th April (thanks to the advert at the top of the page which is actually displaying something useful for a change).

Not valid west of Yeovil Junction, no arrival into London before 11:00 or departure between 16:15 & 19:45 (ah good just in time for the world and his dog to try and get onto the 19:50 Salisbury service which is normally a single 159).

Last edited:

boyaloud

Thanks Kite 159 - I'm on Android !

I have both, used it on iPad last night fine, worked first time, Manchester to York £5.60 in first class early Feb! It's an amazing deal - another example of a railcard fare is:

Wigan to Edinburgh/Glasgow - £9.25 1st class

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well, after having my payment rejected by the app on 3 occasions I've finally managed to book some tickets to Newcastle. £50 1st class return from Liverpool for 2 passengers is damn good value.

I'd love to get some up to Scotland too but it doesn't seem to be any cheaper than normal :|

Butts

Veteran Member
Who really want's to avail themselves of TPE's pathetic First Class Offering when the 50% Sale is on at East Coast for Lounges, Better Seats, Far better catering and more importantly booze all for free. :idea:

Just blagged a couple of trips to Newcastle from Falkirk for about £12/13 each way. It it was TPE I would honestly have not bothered.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Who really want's to avail themselves of TPE's pathetic First Class Offering when the 50% Sale is on at East Coast for Lounges, Better Seats, Far better catering and more importantly booze all for free. :idea:

Just blagged a couple of trips to Newcastle from Falkirk for about £12/13 each way. It it was TPE I would honestly have not bothered.

You haven't heard that from the 1st February there will be no more free booze on VTEC due to cutbacks ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
You haven't heard that from the 1st February there will be no more free booze on VTEC due to cutbacks ;)

Agggh.......<D

If that were true I would demand a refund !! - No BA customer driven " improvements" required thank you ;)

Last edited:

ys123

Why on earth did TPE go live without properly testing and proving the app.

They did test it as I was one of a number of people who took up the offer of £15 of love2shop vouchers for testing their new app before it was released. What they basically did was change their app from being similar to the virgin/crosscountry/northern style app to being like their rubbish website. I filled in a survey explaining the many issues I found but it sounds like they ignored most of the problems I mentioned. Buying a ticket was not part of the test so the payment problems wouldn't have been mentioned.

JaJaWa

Established Member
I can't see what's so great about an app anyway - not only are mobile phones less secure than your average desktop or laptop...

iOS is far more secure than any desktop operating system

They did test it as I was one of a number of people who took up the offer of £15 of love2shop vouchers for testing their new app before it was released. What they basically did was change their app from being similar to the virgin/crosscountry/northern style app to being like their rubbish website. I filled in a survey explaining the many issues I found but it sounds like they ignored most of the problems I mentioned. Buying a ticket was not part of the test so the payment problems wouldn't have been mentioned.

They also paid me £15 to tell them that if they proceeded with the update I would never use their app again.

Red Dragon

They did test it as I was one of a number of people who took up the offer of £15 of love2shop vouchers for testing their new app before it was released. ...............Buying a ticket was not part of the test so the payment problems wouldn't have been mentioned.

I'd forgotten about that trial. I didn't take part in the end, but I hadn't appreciated that a purchase wasn't part of the trial. Doh.

snail

Established Member
What they basically did was change their app from being similar to the virgin/crosscountry/northern style app to being like their rubbish website.
I don't know what was wrong with the old app. I won't be using the new one, it doesn't list any fares for the 1714 from Manchester Oxford Rd to Preston! I'm presuming it is because it gets overtaken by the 1719 (which I avoid because it's overcrowded and more expensive).

ys123

I don't know what was wrong with the old app. I won't be using the new one, it doesn't list any fares for the 1714 from Manchester Oxford Rd to Preston! I'm presuming it is because it gets overtaken by the 1719 (which I avoid because it's overcrowded and more expensive).

Nothing was wrong with the old app. I now use Crosscountry or Virgins app which works like the old tpe app and they do show both the 1714 and 1719.

Last edited:

ys123

Presume they wanted to stop paying the licensing fee for it so came up with their own. The GoVia operators did the same.

I've yet to find someone who was part of the trial for the new TPE app (myself included) who left positive feedback and yet they went ahead...

snail

Established Member
Decided to try the Northern app as an alternative to TPE. It will only sell me m-tickets. I can't find an option for collect at station.

ys123

Is there any mobile apps which are actually better than the website?

I find Virgin or Crosscountry's app to be easier to use than most websites.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Decided to try the Northern app as an alternative to TPE. It will only sell me m-tickets. I can't find an option for collect at station.

The easiest way to get around this issue is to book your tickets with a app of a different TOC than the one you want to travel with as it will always offer it as a pickup ticket.

ys123

Nope, I asked them and they told me "our marketing team will be in touch soon".

Received an email from TPE:

We are now preparing your £15 Love2Shop vouchers and I am writing to advise that we will be preparing these next week.

I know the above sentence doesn't make sense....

On the other hand there's loads of £20 returns from Darlington to London for this saturday

BlueFox

Attachments

• CropperCapture[57].png
    CropperCapture[57].png
    76.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
The small print on the email says

1. Tickets are subject to availability and for travel on Saturday 28 January and Sunday 29 January

There's also engineering works between Hitchin and Peterborough during the weekend of 4th and 5th February.

Last edited:

woody505

Those with nectar double check your account I have another 1000 points voucher for next purchase expiring today so think ill have a free trip to London at the weeend :)