• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Trainee Driver Manchester Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Y2017/349, Train Driver Manchester

Open until 17th February. Good luck to all those that apply

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thank you for the heads up! I have applied - gotta be in it to win it as I keep saying. Maybe one day I will win it! :)

OneTrackMind

I've put an application in :)

I'm well outside the 45 min limit, but can relocate immediately, which by judging from "We have spaces on our courses starting in Spring/Summer 2017" means they need people as soon as possible...

Wait and see I guess!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I've never got past the application stage with northern so my hopes aren't too high..!

Mark638

Hi Martin,

I've applied so fingers crossed again,I must have been with you at the york Virgin day.

Trio

Y2017/349, Train Driver Manchester
Home
Search
FAQ

Location Manchester Stations Vacancy Description Y2017/349, Train Driver Manchester Salary - £19,913 per annum rising to £36,339 per annum on completion of training (approx 12 months) and rising to £39,911 in Year 2 of driving then rising to £44,019 when fully qualified.

We have some trainee driver places available at our Manchester Depots. These places are for a courses starting in the Spring/Summer 2017.

Being a Train Driver is a critical job, you will be responsible for the transportation of our customers. It’s your job to make sure they reach their destination in a safe manner and on time.

Concentration, decision-making and the ability to follow rules and procedures have to be your greatest strengths. You must also like your own company and be self-motivated as a lot of the time you will be working on your own.

When you are not driving the train you are still providing a service to our customers, whether that is helping them with their enquiry or directing them to another train. So you’ll need to be a great communicator, with a respectful and supportive attitude.

Unfortunately every day does not run smoothly. If there is a delay to your train and there is something you can do about it, we will expect that with the help of your colleagues you approach the problem in a structured, logical way.

Don’t under estimate how big this job is, as well as the responsibilities of the job, we also expect that you have a friendly, positive attitude.

We need you to be able to deal with the varying shift patterns that can start at any time of day/night and also work weekends too. The working week averages 35 hours, but some weeks you will work more and some weeks you will work less than 35 hours.

Please be aware that medical standards exist for this position along with a strict alcohol and drugs policy which includes random testing.

The medical standards include the requirement for good eyesight, hearing, and to have a general fitness level which gives the ability to walk up to a mile and a quarter on uneven conditions.

You will be supported at every step with our bespoke 9-12 month training programme. Providing a blend of both classroom and location learning, we’ll equip you with the skills you need to deliver the high level of service that our customers deserve.

Should you reach the Assessment stage in the Recruitment Process, please note that candidates cannot re-sit the Driver Psychometric Assessment Centre tests within 6 months of the date of any previous assessment. The Driver Assessment centre process can only be completed twice.

Benefits and Rewards:

By working as part of the Northern team, you will receive the following benefits:

· Free Travel on Northern services – for you and your family.*
· 75% discount on all other Train Operating Companies leisure services.*
· Pension Scheme (where we pay one and a half times the amount you contribute!)
· A generous holiday entitlement.
· Maternity and Paternity Benefits – above the statutory minimum.
· Childcare voucher scheme.*
· High Street store discounts.

· 20% off many tourist attractions in the UK.
· Gym membership discounts.
· Employee Assistance Programme – operating 24/7, giving a wide range of advice, support and useful information for employees.
· And many more!

*Terms and conditions apply

About Northern:

Northern plays a vital role in the north of England by connecting tens of thousands of people, and more every day, to work, leisure and education. Our aim is to connect people to opportunities by providing a reliable and friendly train service. We have made significant progress since we started but there is much more that we want to achieve.

Our selection Process:

Our selection processes are designed to make joining Northern as smooth as possible, it not only provides us with the information we need to decide whether you’re the right person to deliver a great service to our customers, but also to make sure we’re also the right team for you.

Your online application:

The first thing you need to do is complete our online application form. Upload your CV and you have the opportunity to tell us a little bit more about yourself.

Apply to this vacancy
Apply
Save to my vacancies
Save
Forward this vacancy to a friend
Send
Print vacancy
Print

true_blue1989

I've put an application in :)

I'm well outside the 45 min limit, but can relocate immediately, which by judging from "We have spaces on our courses starting in Spring/Summer 2017" means they need people as soon as possible...

Wait and see I guess!

So did you just tick the yes box and hoped for the best? i live literally 53mins from picadilly so i i guess i do live 45mins from certain stops in Manchester :D

j37401

I applied for this and less than 24 hours later received the dreaded unsucessful email even though i got further than that stage on previous attempts. Rather annoying but just the way it goes :roll:

j37401

I applied for this and less than 24 hours later received the dreaded unsucessful email even though i got further than that stage on previous attempts. Rather annoying but just the way it goes :roll:

scrap that - i've just realised the email i received was for the last round of Manchester positions nearly a year ago where position eneded up being held. I guess if you make a new application it voids any older ones outstanding.

Guzzler

Apologies but im a first time applyer!! i filled in the online app form but could not find where to upload my CV.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers in advance

maccalad

I applied for a position at the Blackburn depot last July, and I am now going through my training - I have seen people discussing having to upload a CV.............I don't recall having to do this, but things may well have changed.

Good luck to all.

Moss2016

Hi

If I put that I don't live within 45 mins of the station applied for will I be rejected right away ?

thanks

JonnyH

I applied for Northern in Liverpool in 2015, gave them my address where I was staying in Nottingham at the time, but told them that I have my own property in Liverpool City Centre which I rented rent out and that it would be free for me to move into the following month. Alas this was not good enough for them!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Seems harsh but I guess they get so many applicants that they can afford to be! :-/

OneTrackMind

The vacancy has now closed.

Arguably though, by restricting to 45 minutes from the depots, you would be missing out on some really good talented individuals.

If football teams restricted their managers to live within 45 minutes of the stadium at the application stage can you imagine what state the Premier League would be in ... :lol:

martin2345uk

Established Member

Arguably though, by restricting to 45 minutes from the depots, you would be missing out on some really good talented individuals.

If football teams restricted their managers to live within 45 minutes of the stadium at the application stage can you imagine what state the Premier League would be in ... :lol:

Yes that's very true but I meant they get so many applicants anyway that they can afford to miss a few top quality ones who live far away

j37401

They probably get 100's of applicants. If it was open to anybody it be a risk taking somebody on if they run into problems re locating or commuting to work on time.

Last edited:

tfin25

Good luck to all who applied!

I had my application transfered after the recruitment for the Liverpool position was put on hold, luckily I was just within the 45 minute travel time to Manchester.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Does any one know if it's a SJT next if you're lucky enough to get past the application stage?

Shrimper

Northern is usually Application > Driver Manager interview > Assessments (including SJT) > Medical.

Assessments take place over one day, including the MMI.

12guard4

I know someone personally who did relocate for Northern. They originally came from the area and moved to a different area to work for the company I work for. At that point they would have been 45 minutes outside the area but Northern accepted they would relocate back home so it's not a straight no.

Moss2016

Thanks for your comments - I decided to wait until there is a station recruiting closer to my residence.

Fingers crossed it wont be long :|

Status
Not open for further replies.