• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trains toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M28361M

Bit of a long shot this, but a friend of mine has a 4-year-old nephew who loves trains, in particular Southern trains (he lives in Brighton).

For his birthday, his parents want to get him a toy Southern train, but the only things they can find are things like the OO gauge class 171 from Bachmann, which is not only expensive, but not suitable for little hands to play with.

Does anyone know of a "toy train" in Southern livery or something close to it? Something like the Brio wooden trains (or the copycat versions) would be the thing, I suppose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plarailfan

Surprisingly, there doesn't appear to be much at all, aimed at the younger enthusiast other than the Big jigs, Brio (wooden railway) and the plastic track, "Thomas" Trackmaster range, made by Fisher Price.
Tesco have made a wooden railway Pendolino and they are about £10 for one coach (when they are in stock) !
I modified mine to run on Tomy track that was available in Toys r us, a few years ago
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/31311327160/in/dateposted-public/

plarailfan

There's a Japanese train in a fairly attractive green livery, that your nephew might be interested in and they can run on wooden railway track and the Trackmaster "Thomas" tracks. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Series-E2...338387?hash=item33c4751093:g:UQoAAOSw44BYSQoZ(this seller is a very good seller, based in Hong Kong and import tax can be charged by the Post Office, or parcel firm when the package arrives off the 'plane in the UK) so you are generally better off buying from a seller in the UK if possible).
Tomy made a Eurostar back in the 1990's, but they are quite hard to find these days. Ebay is a good source for these items.
I often wonder why Fisher Price don't make proper UK trains alongside their "Thomas" range. I've sent them various photo's and suggestions many times but the standard reply is "thanks - your suggestion has been passed to the relevant department"
Perhaps the only way, is to star in "The apprentice" TV show, to get inside Fisher Price and trial a small number of modern image models to gauge public interest !

Last edited:

M28361M

Thanks all. It looks like there isn't anything specifically Southern available, so I have pointed them towards the Big Jigs and Brio wooden sets in the hope that something in those ranges will be appropriate.

sarahj

Established Member
There is a 73 coming out in Southern colours later in the year. I've placed my order, tho' it might look a bit lost in my yard. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 152

TheEdge

Established Member
There is a 73 coming out in Southern colours later in the year. I've placed my order, tho' it might look a bit lost in my yard. :lol:

Oh I suddenly like you very much, that's a very nice yard.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looks great Sarahj. Maybe the 73 has been sent over for an open day? ;)

Bit of a long shot this, but a friend of mine has a 4-year-old nephew who loves trains, in particular Southern trains (he lives in Brighton).

For his birthday, his parents want to get him a toy Southern train, but the only things they can find are things like the OO gauge class 171 from Bachmann, which is not only expensive, but not suitable for little hands to play with.

Does anyone know of a "toy train" in Southern livery or something close to it? Something like the Brio wooden trains (or the copycat versions) would be the thing, I suppose.

As you say the only Southern Rail toys are the three Bachmann OO Gauge Class 171 models.

• 32-460Y - 171 724
• 32-460Z - 171 721
• 32-468 - 171 727

Both the 32-460Y and the 32-460Z models were released years ago while the 32-468 model is being released later this year.

Other than this the most similar thing to what you are looking for that i can find is a wooden brio style toy of a Southeastern (which is Southern's sister company - they are both owned by Govia) class 395 train.

Here is a link to the website of Big Jigs Toys (the company that makes it) Southeastern Class 395 page.

http://www.bigjigstoys.co.uk/p/high-speed-one-train

You can buy it online on their website and it costs £15.49 plus £2.95 for postage and packaging. I am not 100% sure but it may possibly be available in some toy shops as well.

pdeaves

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.