• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Ticket Design Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You were replying to the question of what would replace "London Terminals".
...and my suggestion/answer was to keep 'London' (obviously) and additionally provide a link informing the customer which stations they can visit. Apologies if this wasn't particularly well communicated.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JaJaWa

Established Member

Well it was removed from tickets some time in 2016... (see attachment)

I seem to remember this being in the news over Christmas when the media were having another go at the railway.

They said they were looking at getting rid of confusing terms like 'London Terminals' and 'Any Permitted'.

RDG says
We will provide clear names for tickets and definitions that passengers understand. We will remove terms such as “Any Permitted” and “London Terminals” except where they actively help customers understand a tickets validity and in such cases that they are properly explained. We will develop an online ticket restrictions look-up tool for customers.

First changes to be implemented from May 2017 and all actions to be complete by end-2017
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/579850/action-plan-for-information-on-rail-fares-and-ticketing.pdf

So possibly only a couple of months left for 'London Terminals'.

Attachments

• AnyPermitted.jpg
    AnyPermitted.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 229

father_jack

RDG says

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/579850/action-plan-for-information-on-rail-fares-and-ticketing.pdf

So possibly only a couple of months left for 'London Terminals'.

Can I say again (and maybe the mods should pick up on this) a TOD reference tells anyone unscrupulous within the industry who you are and often where you live ! A surname and postcode search may come up with info as to when you're away in the future !!! Obliterate TODs from pictures and obviously dispose of used frog safely !!!

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Can I say again (and maybe the mods should pick up on this) a TOD reference tells anyone unscrupulous within the industry who you are and often where you live ! A surname and postcode search may come up with info as to when you're away in the future !!! Obliterate TODs from pictures and obviously dispose of used frog safely !!!
Fair enough. Good point.

But where should I put the used frog? :lol: ;)

JaJaWa

Established Member

Thanks. Any TOC spies may like to note that the ToD reference in that image is from here https://srta.org.uk/wp/posts/1316 rather than myself though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Unless there's a particular reason someone might want to target your house, e.g. you have a particularly expensive car that could be nicked using the keys (such as a certain poster's Range Rovers, perhaps :) ) or lots of IT equipment, I very much doubt anyone would go to those lengths to find a house to burgle. Most such crimes are opportunist - go for that one, they're not in.

When I'm away, most stuff of any value is in my bag.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Wasn't that was supposed to be only for tickets for journeys for which all available fares were routed "ANY PERMITTED"? The example earlier, of Inverness to Edinburgh (where walkup fares can be routed ANY PERMITTED, VIA AVIEMORE or VTEC ONLY) having the route description dropped for the ANY PERMITTED variant arguably adds more confusion than it removes.

kieron

Established Member
Wasn't that was supposed to be only for tickets for journeys for which all available fares were routed "ANY PERMITTED"?
That was my impression (I think it said removal unless it provides a benefit to the customer, something the disambiguation would do).

To me, having a "via Warrington" ticket and an "any permitted" one for a route is better than having a "via Warrington" and a "via Manchester" one, simply because it makes it clear (to travellers and to web sites) that you don't have to go through Manchester using either ticket.

Silver Cobra

Looks like it's been a while since the last post here.

Anywhos... I collected some tickets from the new VTEC machine at Stevenage station for a journey from Stevenage to Leeds for Saturday 3rd June, as part of the Hot Cakes sale. I was quite surprised that rather than printing in the new style with the reserved services on the one ticket, I was given a separate reservation ticket. I must say that the VTEC machines aren't set up very well for printing tickets like this. It looks quite a mess in fact. I'm guessing that VTEC promotional tickets haven't yet been set up for the new style of advance.

I've added some pictures to compare how the advances normally print (collected from a machine at Peterborough back in April) and walk-up tickets (purchased not long after I collected the Stevenage-Leeds tickets today).

Attachments

• VTEC 01.jpg
    VTEC 01.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 172
  • VTEC 02.jpg
    VTEC 02.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 161
  • VTEC 03.jpg
    VTEC 03.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 158
  • VTEC 04.jpg
    VTEC 04.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 147

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've noticed the TVM at Grateley & at least one of the TVMs at Basingstoke have gone back to printing in the old style, not sure if other SWR machines have gone backwards?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I haven't noticed any in SWR land. The last one I used at Southampton printed in the new style. Although, I have used few of the machines in Brighton in the last month which have printed in the old style. I prefer it to be honest as it makes reading them at a glance a lot easier.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It is still possible for a TVM that supports the new style to print in the old style for certain ticket types, depending on how the print format is defined in the data. Maybe that is relevant?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I printed a mix of Off peak day returns & advance tickets, only noticed it when putting them away that it was in the old style with separate reservations for seats

(Before anybody mentions why purchase off-peak day returns in advance, its for a XC split journey and buying in advance makes sure I don't have to play musical chairs on the 220)

TEW

Established Member
I've noticed the TVM at Grateley & at least one of the TVMs at Basingstoke have gone back to printing in the old style, not sure if other SWR machines have gone backwards?
I've seen a lot of old style tickets printed by the S&B machines recently, it seems they have gone back to the old style for some reason.

whhistle

On Moderation
But if you have access to the TOD system AND are signed up to this forum AND want to bother, what's the gain? It'll be unlikely you'll find someone who meets all three of those requirements. Only ticket office / auditors / the managing company have access to the system.

Something else to consider is the machine version.
Certain computer systems (on VWC for example) are using an upgraded ticket issuing system, which prints the new style tickets. Yet from the same office, most of the computers are still on the old style. If there's a problem, the computer system will be rolled back.
But then you get EMT who aren't interested in upgrading their ex-First Scotrail machines to anything as it's the end of the franchise, so won't see the new layout.
As Virgin started pushing forward with all the stuff they listed in their franchise bid anyway, this is why they're slowly looking at ticket improvements.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Only ticket office / auditors / the managing company have access to the system.
Are you absolutely sure about that? I know people who have access to the system for legitimate professional reasons who do not fit into those categories. That doesn't, however, make them dishonest.

joncombe

I've also noticed the ticket machines at SWR stations seem to have gone back to the old style, yes. Seen it at more than one station.

hawk1911

I've also noticed the ticket machines at SWR stations seem to have gone back to the old style, yes. Seen it at more than one station.
I've collected a few old style tickets from Stafford (Virgin Trains) recently as well.

Harbouring

Now it has been mentioned Off Peak day return tickets I bought last week from the usual TVM at PMS had gone back to the old style. It's even reverted to using "Portsmouth Stns" when it had been using "Portsmouth & S or Harbour" on every ticket I had bought for months (advance and OTD)

whhistle

On Moderation
Are you absolutely sure about that? I know people who have access to the system for legitimate professional reasons who do not fit into those categories.
From what I know yes. But always happy to be corrected.
However, it appears you missed out the key information: what other role/company also has access to this system for "legitimate reasons"?

ashworth

Established Member
I regularly book EMT Advance tickets via their website and as my local station does not have ticket buying facilities I have them posted out to me free of charge. As far as I can remember all recent tickets over the past year have been printed in the new format until yesterday when I received tickets back in the old format.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I collected some tickets the other night and only just noticed when trying to submit a compensation claim for a delay where it asked for the ticket number that it appears to have two numbers where I’d expect the 5 digit ticket number to be. Looking back at this thread there is an example in post #935, but I’ve never seen this elsewhere other than here. Does anyone know what these two numbers are supposed to be, and which one is the ticket number?

As an aside, makes me wonder if I can’t work this out how the average customer is supposed to work out how to fill in the “Ticket number” field given that it doesn’t have a header anymore unlike on the old style tickets.

7BB8BD98-9B3F-43F0-ABE0-66182FEB9399.jpeg

Haywain

Veteran Member
You have 2 numbers because one will refer to the reservation that is printed on the same coupon. For Delay Repay your ticket number is 11657.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You have 2 numbers because one will refer to the reservation that is printed on the same coupon. For Delay Repay your ticket number is 11657.
It’s a shame it isn’t made clear, must be very confusing for ordinary customers given how much it puzzled me.

Was the spec changed or is it just different machines issuing it in their own way? I found an AP (so including a reservation) from an old ticket and it only has one number on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.