• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barn

Established Member
I disagree. I think they tell us a lot about Theresa May. They tell us she is entirely without principles and will say she believes in whatever is popular at the time.

She's just a politician. I'm not a ginormous fan of hers, but it's stretching things to claim that she has somehow swung the country hard to the right.

She's a bit less metropolitan than Cameron and Osborne but broadly we haven't seen any significant policy changes from her, other than a failed attempt at raising NICs.

She's just been progressing Brexit, and we're in an era where people use "hard right" to simply mean "anything I don't much like".

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
She's just been progressing Brexit, and we're in an era where people use "hard right" to simply mean "anything I don't much like".

I've not seen enough from her to know if she's "hard right" or not. I think she is totalitarian, but that's very different. We've seen enough of that with her time as Home Secretary.

Whether her treatment of immigrants, especially international students, is based on anything more than cheap political point scoring I don't know. Same with Brexit.

Trying to pin her down to a position is like nailing jelly to the wall. I originally thought her Machiavellian; I'm starting to think she might just be dim.

D365

Veteran Member

Oh, I thought that it was "leftie liberals".

EM2

Established Member
If Nigel Farage is saying that one of your policies when you were Home Secretary is 'nasty' and 'unpleasant', I'd say you're pretty right-wing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23450438
Billboards telling illegal immigrants to "go home or face arrest" are "nasty", says UKIP leader Nigel Farage.
He told ITV's Daybreak programme the "Big Brother"-like one-week pilot in London would make no difference.
The posters have also been criticised as "unpleasant" by Lib Dem MP, and former minister, Sarah Teather.
The government says it is cheaper to get people to leave voluntarily and the campaign offers an alternative to being "led away in handcuffs".
The pilot scheme sees billboards on vans being driven around six London boroughs chosen because of the number of illegal immigrants in them who have chosen to return to their home country voluntarily.
'Really unpleasant'
Leaflets and posters will also be distributed in internet cafes, newsagents and money transfer shops, the government says, offering advice and help with travel documents.
But the message has come in for some criticism.

Speaking on Daybreak, Mr Farage - whose party campaigns for the UK's exit from the European Union and includes curbing immigration in its wider policies, said the campaign was really a reaction to his party's success in English local elections.
"What the billboard should say is: Please don't vote UKIP, we are doing something. That's what it's all about.
"I think the actual tone of the billboards, it really is Big Brother, nasty, it's unpleasant. I don't think using messaging like this makes any difference, what would make a difference is enforcing our borders properly."
Former Children's Minister Ms Teather is MP for Brent Central, one of the boroughs targeted by the campaign. She told BBC London the "cost" would be community relations.
"It's really unpleasant and we don't need it here," she said.
"If the Home Office want to deal with problems, frankly they should be looking at themselves and their own practice."
But the government says the pilot scheme specifically targets illegal immigrants and highlights the advantages for them of returning to their home country voluntarily. It also says it is much cheaper to get people to return home of their own accord rather than fight deportation through the courts.
Speaking on Daybreak, Immigration Minister Mark Harper said there had been 15,000 "enforced removals" of illegal immigrants last year, compared with 25,000 people who left with "various degrees of voluntariness".
He dismissed suggestions that the "go home" message could prove racially divisive.
"This is about people who are here illegally, the messaging on the advertising is very clear," he said.
"We are working very closely with a lot of community groups who actually welcome the opportunity for someone who is not here legally to leave the country in a dignified way rather than being arrested, detained and having an enforced removal."
Mr Farage's party was once accused by the prime minister of being the home of "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" - although, in the wake of the May local elections, David Cameron said it was "no good insulting a political party that people have chosen to vote for".
UKIP's electoral success heightened tensions between Conservative grass-roots and the leadership and prompted the party to draft a private bill to legislate for an in-out referendum on Europe by the end of 2017.

miami

Established Member
Not being in such a stated position of authority in the 2010-2015 Parliament to have been able to meet your request, I am therefore unable to answer your query.

I actually retired from my role in industry in 2010.

Fine, which laws would you personally in your position of retired grandee of the estate of somewhere suitably rural prefer not to have been passed in the 2010-2015 parliament

miami

Established Member
Transfer Values (Disapplication) Regulations 2010.

The SI that was made on 5th January 2010, which was part of the 2005-2010 parliament? I'm after one that was made in the 2010-2015 parliament, instituted by a government comprising David Cameron and his ministers.

miami

Established Member
Estates of deceased persons (Forfeture rule and law of succession) Act 2011.

Wasn't submitted by a government, try again. Or can you find nothing that the Conservative/LibDem coalition made law that you disagree with?

The Estates of deceased persons (Forfeture rule and law of succession) Act 2011 was debated for a full 8 minutes, and according to the conservative MP who pushed it, 'received support from all parts of the House'.

To quote a Labour MP during the 3rd reading

Both of those are testament to the fact that the Bill has been thoroughly and professionally presented, in a way that avoided controversy. The important point, as was said at those stages, is that 200 people a year will be affected by the changes. For those people, it will make the law fairer. As has been noted, its provisions will do so at a time of great tragedy for some people.

What do you have against this bill?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wasn't submitted by a government, try again. Or can you find nothing that the Conservative/LibDem coalition made law that you disagree with?

The Estates of deceased persons (Forfeture rule and law of succession) Act 2011 was debated for a full 8 minutes, and according to the conservative MP who pushed it, 'received support from all parts of the House'.

To quote a Labour MP during the 3rd reading. What do you have against this bill?

It is time to call this off thread debate a stop, before the moderators choose to do so.

This thread is supposed to concern itself with the aftermath of the EU referendum, which is of a more recent time scale.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

To quote a Labour MP during the 3rd reading

What do you have against this bill?
It passed because of the Government of the Day permitted it.
They were easily able to stop it but chose not to.

EM2

Established Member
https://www.ft.com/content/cada5830-1335-11e7-80f4-13e067d5072c

David Davis, Brexit secretary, has confirmed that the government will not seek to cap the number of EU migrants working in the UK after Brexit, saying that migration would be managed according to the needs of the economy.

Mr Davis said that the EU migration policy would be set according to the national interest, adding: “From time to time we’ll need more, from time to time we’ll need fewer migrants.”

Speaking on a Brexit edition of BBC TV’s Question Time programme, he said he thought that the government would eventually meet its target of cutting net migration to the “tens of thousands”, but said that the economy would come first.

“The simple truth is that we have to manage this problem,” he said. “You’ve got industry dependent on migrants, you’ve got social welfare, the National Health Service — you have to make sure they continue to work.”

Mr Davis revealed that he was chided by Theresa May after saying last December that the government was considering paying the EU for access to the single market. He said that the prime minister reminded him that “considering something is not the same as doing it”.

He also said that each government department was making “huge contingency plans” for coping with the possible fallout of Brexit talks failing, with the UK leaving the bloc without a trade deal.

Meanwhile, Open Britain, a cross-party pro-EU campaign, will on Tuesday publish a list of 10 promises made by the Vote Leave Brexit campaign or the government on the end result of leaving the EU.

Former Tory education secretary Nicky Morgan, former Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg and Labour’s Chris Leslie will unveil a “Brexit Contract” at an event in central London, arguing that the government has set out on a course towards a so-called “hard Brexit”.

miami

Established Member
Speaking on a Brexit edition of BBC TV’s Question Time programme, he said he thought that the government would eventually meet its target of cutting net migration to the “tens of thousands”, but said that the economy would come first.

Net migration from NON eu countries in 2015 was about 270,000. Looks like the best way to stop immigration is to crash the economy, which is of course their plan.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd like to see how this is actually going to work. I wonder if anyone in the Tory party ever actually looked to see how many jobs are filled by migrants before setting this target as official party policy? A net migration rate of 0.2% annually would mean that the UK was way out of step with other prosperous Western economies.

KN1

Net migration from NON eu countries in 2015 was about 270,000. Looks like the best way to stop immigration is to crash the economy, which is of course their plan.

You're saying the Conservative Govt. has an official plan to deliberately wreck the economy ?
Can you show me the relevant paperwork.

miami

Established Member
No, I mean the plan to wreck the economy.

I would, but it's too gloomy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mps-walk-because-gloomy-brexit-125740939.html
MPs reportedly walked out of a meeting because of a Brexit report which was 'too gloomy'.

According to a source, Hilary Benn attempted to "bounce" members into accepting a 155-page report into the government's Brexit White Paper.

Anna Soubry MP thought there was no problem with Mr Benn presenting a "gloomy" report.

She tweeted: "gloomy = #BrexitReality & it doesn't have to be like this. Membership of #singlemarket will make our prospects brighter"

fowler9

Established Member
So no official plan then, just you being very pessimistic.

You are right, there is no plan and I am very pessimistic. Here's hoping you can cheer me up with some kind of positive plan that is in place? (Telling me to get behind the country and stop moaning doesn't count).

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Buckle up folks, here comes the "fun" part

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39422353

Theresa May has signed the letter that will formally begin the UK's departure from the European Union.

Giving official notice under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, it will be delivered to European Council president Donald Tusk on Wednesday.

In a statement in the Commons, the prime minister will then tell MPs this marks "the moment for the country to come together".

Mrs May's letter will be delivered to Mr Tusk at 12:30 BST on Wednesday by the British ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow.

The prime minister, who will chair a cabinet meeting in the morning, will then make a statement to MPs confirming the countdown to the UK's departure from the EU is under way.

Status
Not open for further replies.