• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside King's Cross: CH5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Six months ago as I was going into Kings Cross I noticed a couple of full black duffel bags unattended just outside the station.

Unusually there weren't any police around so I asked the information desk to let BTP know so they could take whatever action was necessary.

The response from BTP was "not our responsibility as it is outside the station not inside".

That's very worrying indeed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
I am sure the lift installer would be really happy to have a barely trained non employee mucking about with their lifts, I am also sure it wouldnt have any effect on the warranty of the lifts. :lol:

If the design specifies that it must be possible to hand wind and evacuate the lift by employees then it should not cause a problem. L.U. do it, with much bigger lifts.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Way back in the 1970's when the IRA were frequently causing issues on the Underground - as a mere youth with friends on one of the typically lightly loaded Circle trains of the day we found a shoebox on a seat.

Ran into Aldgate , where I pulled the red handle (very satisfying gush of air) - after we stopped and went to tell the guard (remember them ?) , cross driver walks back and we point the parcel and take cover behind one of the steel station roof supports.

Old school driver looks at it - mutters - and gives it a flying kick down the car - resets the handle and said "Thanks Lads - nice shoes" - and off we went again. Blase or not ?

GW43125

Established Member
Ran into Aldgate , where I pulled the red handle (very satisfying gush of air) - after we stopped and went to tell the guard (remember them ?) ,

Don't even get those two things on most mainline stock nowadays :(

KT530

As a driver, it certainly didn't strike me that she was distracted. It was no different from situations where a driver manager is present in the cab, having a chat.

I agree. She appeared to have good situational awareness and confidence and I didn't see a problem at all.

misterredmist

I agree. She appeared to have good situational awareness and confidence and I didn't see a problem at all.

Yes, the lady seemed very composed and looked forward regularly, and I imagine all train drivers know their 'signed' routes like the back of their hand.

Antman

Established Member
That's very worrying indeed!
To be fair to the information desk they did try to persuade BTP to take ownership, but they simply refused.

The information desk then contacted the Metropolitan police, but they had difficulty understanding the location of the bags, but I understand from a follow up call, they did respond.

Crossover

Established Member
There were a few errors in it but it isnt as bad as the other program was, but I am trying to work out why they went for a young, good looking female driver rather than a typical unshaven fat bloke! :lol:

I'm sure you'll get your air time eventually 455driver ;)

OneOffDave

To be fair to the information desk they did try to persuade BTP to take ownership, but they simply refused.

The information desk then contacted the Metropolitan police, but they had difficulty understanding the location of the bags, but I understand from a follow up call, they did respond.

It's always worth asking the coppers concerned if they'd be happy repeating that statement while gripping the rail at a coroner's court should it actually be a device. Does tend to get them to change their tune on a lot of things where they have been previously blasé. That's the default challenge at work to where there's a risk element; would we be happy defending that at an inquest. Works wonders.

Envoy

Established Member
This seems to be more about the East Coast Mainline rather than just King’s Cross. That being so, it is a pity that we have not seen more of the northern section up to Edinburgh - which is more scenic. Why have we also seen nothing of Grand Central or Hull Trains?

Antman

Established Member
It's always worth asking the coppers concerned if they'd be happy repeating that statement while gripping the rail at a coroner's court should it actually be a device. Does tend to get them to change their tune on a lot of things where they have been previously blasé. That's the default challenge at work to where there's a risk element; would we be happy defending that at an inquest. Works wonders.
I would agree, but the person on the information desk was clearly speaking to someone at the BTP call center who had a 'computer says no' attitude.

In such circumstances there is little point reasoning. As it was the person on the information desk understood the importance and was dealing with it, so I left them to it.

Bookd

Maybe Beardie insisted that VTEC would only co-operate with the making of the programme if there was no involvement and/or no mention of the competition!

Although VTEC is owned 90% by Stagecoach so he probably would not have much say.

IanD

Established Member
Watching it now, and was quite interested by the security person checking a suspicious bag - first thing he did was open it, which would surely have set off a booby trapped device. Seemed odd.

I'm sure I saw the same guy as a contestant on The Chase once. Didn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box then either.

...and I'm not sure if this was a subtitle error or if they actually spoke it as well, but they stated the cost of the VTEC fleet refurbishment as £21 billion...

Can anyone with good ears tell me if they did actually say billion instead of million?

I've just finished watching it and rewound and the narrator said million.

He definitely said billion and so did the subtitles.

And are companies still sending staff out with unencrypted laptops full of confidential information?

Crossover

Established Member
And are companies still sending staff out with unencrypted laptops full of confidential information?

The average user may not know whether it is encrypted or not. Ask some of our users and they would probably give you a funny look if you asked them

IanD

Established Member
Or is it just a bit of a sob story to increase her chances of something being done about it?

I don't think I'd have signed the release for the footage to be shown as it would have probably ended up with me in bother at work even though our laptops are encrypted.

Sirgerbil

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the iPads in the cab of that VTEC train was for?

Most of the shots I'm sure it was just showing a display saying 0MPH but in one shot it was flashing and making an alert and the screen showed "APPROACHING..." and I couldn't make out the rest!

RPM

Established Member
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the iPads in the cab of that VTEC train was for?

Most of the shots I'm sure it was just showing a display saying 0MPH but in one shot it was flashing and making an alert and the screen showed "APPROACHING..." and I couldn't make out the rest!

Probably a DAS system I would guess, but I didn't actually notice it myself.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Yes it was DAS. Not sure why it was showing 0, the number on DAS screen normally shows train length. Maybe wasn't set up.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Driver Assistance (or advisory) System. Uses GPS and advises of recommended speed limits and power settings to keep schedule and economise driving, stopping patterns, train lengths etc

GodAtum

On Moderation
the ROC cant seem to organise a **** up in a brewery.

Nice to see a bit of TPE too.

That man at the end just wanted a fight!

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
the ROC cant seem to organise a **** up in a brewery.

Nice to see a bit of TPE too.

That man at the end just wanted a fight!

He was smoking joints, I don't think he knew what he wanted. Hope the trip to the nick calmed him down!

I did like Simon, poor chap looked absolutely frazzled and was truly in the hot seat.

Interesting coverage of the track works, and I liked the observation that their objective is for nobody to realise that anything had been done.

sn1975

Apologies if this has already been posted up-thread, but all 4 parts of "Inside King's Cross: The Railway" are repeated tomorrow, Wednesday, 29th March, between 2000 and 0000 on My 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.