• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewkerne level crossing horn repeater/warning device

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgl

Established Member
Just went out for a quick walk to see a train as I have done for years and noticed at the foot crossing in the field adjacent to Crewkerne LC there were 2 new poles erected each with 2 boxes attached, a solar panel and an aerial (one either side of the path on the Crewkerne side). Cables were visible (well trunking) going obviously towards the track and possibly to the LC buildings although the aerials could be for that.

1-3ish seconds after the train had sounded it's horn for the crossing the sound of a train horn (2-tone similar/the same as the sound from a 158/9) emanated from one of the boxes (which on closer examination revealed a speaker installed in the bottom box on each pole).

I was wondering if this is a new thing, if anywhere else has the same system and why this would be used instead of a couple of warning lights esp. given that Crewkerne LC is as a guess less than 100m away and could be used as a feed for any such system.

Anyway any replies greatly appreciated. and if anyone wants pictures of the devices I can probably go down again in the morning.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
Never heard of anything like that before.

I'd be interested to know what protection there is in the case of failure. At least with a set of miniature stop lights a power failure would result in neither light being lit, generally accompanied by a sign instructing the signaller to be called in that situation.

Alfie1014

We've had them installed at two crossings here in Wivenhoe on the Clacton branch.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What's the line of sight like for anyone using the crossing, can they see very far up the line in either direction?

dgl

Established Member
Here is a short video showing the system working, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mWp-NpAP8

and some pictures of the equipment, you can also clearly see the white speaker installed each side.
The sound from the equipment actually was before the train horn today but after the warning sound and I guess barriers lowering at Crewkerne LC (as yesterday the service was coming from Waterloo).

Vision could be better as it is on a curve but there has been no warning system there for years although Crewkerne LC is just about audible form the crossing but, of course, is not so useful if the train is coming from Exeter.

Attachments

• WP_20170323_002.jpg
    WP_20170323_002.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 58
  • WP_20170323_003.jpg
    WP_20170323_003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20170323_004.jpg
    WP_20170323_004.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
Possibly, does seem to fit the description only the equipment boxes are different and there are 2 of them, also the solar panel is mounted to the pole and not attached to the box as in the attached file. Also the 2 sets of equipment are for each direction of running I suppose to indicate the direction the train is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.