• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max287

Afternoon guys. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but when you went for the assessment last week, was it just the stage 1 tests or did you do the computerised tests/structured interview at the same time? Hopefully you will hear some good news before much longer!

Bigsquidy

Afternoon guys. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but when you went for the assessment last week, was it just the stage 1 tests or did you do the computerised tests/structured interview at the same time? Hopefully you will hear some good news before much longer!

Just the stage 1 tests so the group bourdon, memory test, dials and the test of everyday attention. If we are succesful we will go to the next stage where we complete computer tests and the MMI. Looks like noone has heard today (6th working day) Good luck to everyone and hope we all get the results we want

Cheggers

One of my friends received an email at 5pm today saying they hadn't passed Stage 1.

bILLOO

I called recruitment earlier and they were really helpful.

She said that because I had already passed assessment I have been successful and they will be in touch next week to confirm line interviews as they still haven't been planned.

So I take it that's the same for everyone still waiting to hear.

Did anybody in this boat hear anything?

Max287

Did anybody in this boat hear anything?
Nothing here :-/ I actually said to my partner earlier, maybe I imagined the phone call I had with them when they told me I'd been successful! Wishful thinking maybe :) Hopefully they are just taking a little longer to arrange the next stage than they thought they would. I'm surprised the guys who took the assessments last week haven't heard though, that's just tourcher :(

Still no word.

Does anyone have a copy of the original job advert they could post up here? Also, how long does a trainee remain on trainee rate and is that half pay?

Trio

I have had the dreaded email that I did not pass stage 1. I asked for feedback and received another email stating I had passed GB and TRP 1 and 2 to the required enhanced standard but not TEA OCC. I have asked for further clarification to see if I reached the national standard and whether they are able to breakdown the results between each part. I await a reply on this. I felt confident with parts 2 and 3 but not part 1 - the lift tone counting, the tones began to sound the same to me, so I wasn't surprised I did not get an enhanced pass, just hope it is to national standard.

I'm a believer that things work out for the best in the end regardless how disappointed one may feel at the time. Perhaps the jobs being in Aylesbury and London and the fact this has come a year too early for my personal circumstances may prove to be that reason! Got to stay positive though, may be London Midland will recruit again once their franchise is sorted later in the year.

Good luck to those still in the running, I wish you well.

I have had the dreaded email that I did not pass stage 1. I asked for feedback and received another email stating I had passed GB and TRP 1 and 2 to the required enhanced standard but not TEA OCC. I have asked for further clarification to see if I reached the national standard and whether they are able to breakdown the results between each part. I await a reply on this. I felt confident with parts 2 and 3 but not part 1 - the lift tone counting, the tones began to sound the same to me, so I wasn't surprised I did not get an enhanced pass, just hope it is to national standard.

I'm a believer that things work out for the best in the end regardless how disappointed one may feel at the time. Perhaps the jobs being in Aylesbury and London and the fact this has come a year too early for my personal circumstances may prove to be that reason! Got to stay positive though, may be London Midland will recruit again once their franchise is sorted later in the year.

All the best to you too. Likewise, I'll be keeping my eye on the LM recruitment site.

Trio

Still no word.

Does anyone have a copy of the original job advert they could post up here? Also, how long does a trainee remain on trainee rate and is that half pay?

Here is a cut and paste of the job advert:

Salary - £24,912 p.a.
Chiltern Railways is a franchised Train Operating Company (TOC) and a wholly owned subsidiary of Arriva plc (a subsidiary of Deutsche Bahn AG, the state railway of Germany). We serve commuter, business and leisure customers in our three key markets through four service
groups: Mainline, Commuter (Banbury), Commuter (Met line) & Oxford. We are again on the search for 10 trainee drivers to join our 2017 school! If anyone is looking to become a Qualified Train Driver upon completion of training, please submit an application today.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To Drive Trains in a safe, professional, reliable and efficient manner.
To comply with all appropriate rules, regulations, procedures and standards appertaining to the job role.
POSITION IN ORGANISATION AND KEY RELATIONSHIPS:
Reports to Driver Manager on a day to day basis.
No Direct Reports.
Main external interactions are with CRCL customers, Network Rail, London Underground and British Transport Police.
Main internal interactions are with Dispatch staff, Control Managers (Aylesbury), Control Managers (Marylebone), Duty Control Manager (Banbury ICC), Driver Depot Managers and Engineering Maintenance Staff.
SPECIFIC STATUTORY DUTIES
To ensure that job specific activities do not introduce unacceptable business and safety risks to any aspect of the Company’s operation, and that the appropriate policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to, ensuring that all such activities comply with the relevant sections of the Safety Case and the current Safety Plan.
Under sections 7 & 8 of the Health and Safety at Work Act, it is the duty of every employee while at work:-
to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself/herself and of other persons who may be affected by his/her acts or omissions at work;
to co-operate with his/her employer to enable compliance with any safety instructions;
not to interfere with, or misuse equipment provided to meet the employer's safety procedures;
duty of care under common law.
DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
To book on for duty not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
To report for duty on time, in full, smart and clean CRCL uniform.
To ensure you are in possession of all required equipment and publications and have up-dated yourself with any additional information contained within the late notice case prior to undertaking any operational duties.
To ensure that you are working to the correct ‘Diagram’ and ‘Schedule Card’ appertaining to your turn of duty.
Ensure that cab preparation and disposal duties are carried out correctly within the allotted timescales, to ensure a right time start to the service.
To adhere to all working rules and regulations, instructions, standards and procedures in order to ensure the safety of passengers, track workers and any other of member of staff involved in providing a safe, efficient and punctual train service.
To make on-board public address (PA) announcements for both station stops and service disruption and, supply any other specific and relevant information as required.
When necessary, liaise with both Network Rail, and CRCL Engineering Department regarding on-train faults.
Complete written reports, at the end of a turn of duty, following an operational incident(s).
Liaise with the operations control (ICC – Banbury) providing information due to late running services.
SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE JOB:
This role includes working shifts including early mornings, afternoons, nights, weekends and bank holidays.
Working alone is a key feature of this role.
17/01/2017 O01'10/17 Dependent upon business demand/ training undertaken in Aylesbury
Please confirm the following to apply for this position:
I am currently eligible to work in the UK
I understand that safety critical roles require a minimum age of 21

Knowledgeboy

Suspense is killing me! Just want to know either way

Anyone else had a response?

Nothing either. I'm getting fed up checking my emails and this site for any news.
Mind you a couple on here have had the dreaded we regret to inform you email so I live in hope that the people still waiting to hear are through to stage 2.

JonnyH

Really sorry to hear Trio and Spank haven't made it through. I've been there myself so I understand how you will be feeling at the moment. It will take a while to forget but never give up, be ready to go again when you have the next opportunity and you'll smash it next time! All the best to you both and to anybody else reading this who hasn't had the luck on their side this time around. Keep believing and you will get there:)

minty

Heard back today around 16:00. Stated I had passed Stage 1 and invited me to Stage 2 at 09:00 on Wednesday 29th! Not much notice!

Ticketmonkey

Nice one Minty, well done.

Was the email from Saima again?

Maybe I did so badly I didnt even warrant a failed email!?!

minty

Yes it came through from Saima again, I've been checking my inbox and junk every hour since last week, was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen.

Only problem I've got now is trying to get the day off Wednesday, let's hope the boss is in a good mood!

Cheggers

Heard back today around 16:00. Stated I had passed Stage 1 and invited me to Stage 2 at 09:00 on Wednesday 29th! Not much notice!

Well done Minty. Wonder if it's worth the rest of us ringing Chiltern to see what's going on as I've not heard anything either?

Ned 079

Naah, me too. Didn't pass :(

332 > 444

Anyone who is watching this thread and has previously passed with Chiltern before, did you have to do the written communication test too?

Bigsquidy

Hi fellas. Just got the dreaded email that did not pass stage 1, I got the national test results but not enchanced test results. Have e-mailed back asking for breakdown of my results. Am gutted but determined to smash it next time around. Couple of questions? The Toc's i could logistically work for are chiltern, virgin, thameslink and london midland, do all these require enchanced pass? Will my results be logged on a database with national pass? If i was too attempt another TOC that required enchanced pass and only got national again would that be my 2 attempts failed? Good luck to everyone still in the race and hope you smash stage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.