• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket To Dent

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone.

A book has recently been released with the above title. I'm tempted to buy it for a relative who lives in Dentdale but £25 seems a bit steep to me for a book about a small station.

Thoughts anyone?

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Books do tend to be quite expensive these days. I buy most of mine second hand. Is it exclusively about Dent ?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hi Rob yes the book appears to be exclusively about Dent.

Ah cheers, it's a lovely view from the train,but there doesn't appear to be enough there to fill a whole book about !

Still, it's worth having a flick through to see.

DelW

Established Member
Ah cheers, it's a lovely view from the train,but there doesn't appear to be enough there to fill a whole book about !

Sorry I can't help with the OP's question, but that comment reminded me of reading a few years ago now, a review of a book on the Waterloo & City line. It was 600+ pages, and the reviewer commented that meant it covered only about 3 yards of line per page of the book.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Still, it's worth having a flick through to see.

There's more to Dent than meets the eye.

There's - Dent - proper.

There's Dent Head.

Not many people know this, but it's twinned with an Arab village - Dent al Khavite (true, that can be a a bit of a pain of a place at times)

I'm sure there are others. :)

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Not sure about the Arab village, but I know a chap by the name of Arthur who claims to have distant relatives there.
Would the £25 put much of a dent in the OP's budget?

trash80

Established Member
Sorry I can't help with the OP's question, but that comment reminded me of reading a few years ago now, a review of a book on the Waterloo & City line. It was 600+ pages, and the reviewer commented that meant it covered only about 3 yards of line per page of the book.

Is this the Oakwood one? I got that for xmas, really thick book and very dense text too.

swanhill41

Booklaw in Nottingham have it for sale at £25 ...Knowing David Allan as of old,won't be long before he remainders it!...See he has 17 in stock...Would cost you £27.50 with postage...

As just published maybe a few months before price reductions are applied.

DelW

Established Member
Is this the Oakwood one? I got that for xmas, really thick book and very dense text too.

I don't remember the publisher or author now, but there don't seem to be any other books on the W&C so it almost certainly is. It was longer ago and a bit shorter than I remembered though! Actually just under 6 yards per page, using TfL's official length of 1 mile & 1012 yards.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Booklaw in Nottingham have it for sale at £25 ...Knowing David Allan as of old,won't be long before he remainders it!...See he has 17 in stock...Would cost you £27.50 with postage...

As just published maybe a few months before price reductions are applied.

I managed to find an online seller who are selling it for just over £14 and it should arrive in the next week or so.

Steveman

If it was about a major terminus then maybe 25 quid would be worth it.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Well the book has been delivered and my wife's brother is pleased with it. Essentially the book describes the current owner and the renovation of the station building and the adjacent snow hut, along with a short history of the station and the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.