• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Gloucester Nat Ex vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
With Edwards taking over the South Glouc NX routes in May, what will happen to their Levantes? They can't all be left over for private hire use surely?

I assumed they'd be transferred to Edwards but I've noticed a lot of theirs being debranded, even noticed NX11 AAA in Bath with no branding apart from the Union Jack still on the rear (so there will be no National Express coach with a Union Jack on anymore??)

Or are they just going to flog the lot to some dealer to sell, in which case I assume Edwards has bought some coaches to run the 403?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Really? Missed that one!

Surprising as I heard (though may not be true) that SGBC were winding down and just wanted to do schools/private hire so packed in the major work, going Megabus instead would defeat the object? (Assuming winding down work is true)

swifty

Established Member
Really? Missed that one!

Surprising as I heard (though may not be true) that SGBC were winding down and just wanted to do schools/private hire so packed in the major work, going Megabus instead would defeat the object? (Assuming winding down work is true)

Edwards are taking 32 brand new coaches and the 6 Boa Vistas from Luton. The only SGBC Nat Ex fleet that are leased are the 65 plates so I'd imagine they'd go back to Nat Ex, all the rest of the Levanted are owned and being retained.

Edwards Coaches wins 10 year NatEx Bristol contract

New depot under construction, with new £12m fleet expected and 120 new jobs to be created

Pontypridd-based Edwards Coaches is establishing a new depot in Avonmouth, Bristol, after a major National Express contract win.

The company estimated that up to 120 new jobs are being created and a brand new multi-million pound depot is under construction. Recruitment for the jobs has already started.

National Express awarded a 10 year contract to the coach company to run its services in the south west of England.

Edwards is seeking to recruit a hundred drivers as well as five engineers, five supervisors, five customer service personnel and five administrative staff. Work on the Cabot Park depot is well underway and the first of a new £12m fleet of National Express Caetano coaches will roll out from the site on its first day of operations on Monday, May 1.
Once completed, the depot is expected to feature engineering workshop facilities, a fully automated coach wash, re-fuelling facilities, offices and parking.

Coaches will run across the south west, to London and Gatwick Airport, and as far north as Grimsby and Nottingham and Rugby.

Jason Edwards said: “It is no secret Bristol is one of the best cities in the UK and it’s really exciting to be establishing a base here.

“The whole team is champing at the bit to get started. It’s particularly fantastic to be in a position where we are looking for so many new staff and there’s going to be a real buzz at the new depot because everyone will be joining the family all at the same time. “It’s a really great opportunity to get in on a successful venture from day one and, for the driving roles, to get behind the wheel of the highest specification vehicles in the industry. We can’t wait to welcome people on board.”

National Express UK Coach Managing Director, Chris Hardy, added: “The new Avonmouth depot anchors us to Bristol and supports the creation of a range of new jobs from drivers, to engineers and support staff, which is incredibly exciting.

“With multi-million investment into our customer experience and our people, there’s never been a more exciting time to be part of National Express.”

Cllr Mark Bradshaw, Bristol City Council’s Member for Transport, welcomed the news and met with Edwards Director Jason Edwards, Transport Supervisor George Gaydon – the first employee appointed – and Service Operations Manager Stewart Isaac, to discuss the new site. He said: “I’m pleased to see this investment in Bristol.”

https://cbwmagazine.com/edwards-coaches-wins-10-year-natex-bristol-contract/

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
SGBC have just been announced as a new Megabus contractor so some may well go blue....

Really? Missed that one!
Indeed. The news item on Stagecoach's website is
http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2017/2017-04-18.aspx

The article behind that link says that five new routes are to be operated under the Megabus brand. Namely:

- M6A Barnstaple - Tiverton - Taunton - Bridgwater - Bristol - Heathrow - London Victoria
- M14 Gloucester - Cheltenham - Cirencester - Swindon - Heathrow - London Victoria
- M18 Bath - Corsham - Chippenham - Heathrow - London Victoria
- M25 Cardiff - Bristol - Heathrow - Gatwick Airport
- M38 Barnstaple - Tiverton - Taunton - Bridgwater - Bristol - Gloucester - Birmingham - Leicester - Loughborough Uni - Nottingham

These will start 01-May-2017 and, with the exception of the M14 & M18, they all serve Bristol. In terms of the vehicles likely to be used I would think that the Megabus contract would seek newer vehicles than SGB&C have had on the NatEx work and this announcement of the new routes comes on the back of a recent announcement of Stagecoach's latest order which comprises - according to the article at http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2017/2017-04-13.aspx - 340 vehicles totalling £70m. In amongst the order we find, in terms of coaches:

- 9x Plaxton Elite i (15 metre version)
- 8x Plaxton Elite 6x2 (15 metre version)
- 14 Plaxton Elite 4x2 coaches
- 3x Volvo B11R / Caetano Levante 6x2

I would think that at least some of these newly ordered coaches would find their way onto the new Megabus routes. With two of the routes serving Barnstaple I can't help wondering if any will be stored there. Likewise I wonder also if any will be stored at Gloucester and Cwmbran.

Out of interest, what is meant by a 4x2 or 6x2 coach?

Dave

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
-----
----

I would think that at least some of these newly ordered coaches would find their way onto the new Megabus routes. With two of the routes serving Barnstaple I can't help wondering if any will be stored there. Likewise I wonder also if any will be stored at Gloucester and Cwmbran.

Out of interest, what is meant by a 4x2 or 6x2 coach?

Dave

I think it's just a 2 or 3 axle vehicle.

Colly405

Did Stagecoach West ever open their outstation in Yate?

With these links formed between Stagecoach and SGBC it could be quite feasible for the SGBC depot to be used by Stagecoach for their South Glos services?

richw

Veteran Member
I think it's just a 2 or 3 axle vehicle.

Yes or number of wheels. 6 or 4 at the back, and 2 at the front.
This is a 4x2
13781717195_0dc174a2a2_k.jpg

And a 6x2
33304237423_e616ad82f0_k.jpg

The 6x2s are 15 metres long, which makes them interesting to watch into some bus stations. St Ives is one that particularly tests the drivers skill due to the tight bus station entrance and exit in a 6x2.

Status
Not open for further replies.