• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Keeping the commercial vehicle theme. Which humble and infamously noisy van of the 80's was a UK (& I think world) first?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
A very clever youngster!- They are essentially a desert animal and their maumn enemy in the wild were snakes & large birds of prey. Put a cucumber behind a cat whilst its eating or otherwise occupied for some usually hilarious results! Your floor.

I tried it with my cat (who was once quite literally scared of his own shadow). The results were disappointing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only thing I can think of from back then is the Sherpa but I can't think of anything that unusual about it.
I drove a few of the later LDV versions and they were quite noisy inside due I think to a lack of soundproofing. I think the earlier Sherpas had similar running gear to Marinas etc, I don't recall them being particularly loud though. Did they do a more powerful Rover V8 version maybe? Clutching at straws here.

DaleCooper

Established Member
A very clever youngster!- They are essentially a desert animal and their maumn enemy in the wild were snakes & large birds of prey. Put a cucumber behind a cat whilst its eating or otherwise occupied for some usually hilarious results! Your floor.

The more I think about this the more I realise it's nonsense. Try googling "cat vs snake" for some videos.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The only thing I can think of from back then is the Sherpa but I can't think of anything that unusual about it.
I drove a few of the later LDV versions and they were quite noisy inside due I think to a lack of soundproofing. I think the earlier Sherpas had similar running gear to Marinas etc, I don't recall them being particularly loud though. Did they do a more powerful Rover V8 version maybe? Clutching at straws here.

No not a V8. The Rover/ Buick V8 diesel was one of those classic 'what could have beens' & could have been a world leader 10 years ahead of its time. This involved a 4 cyl & a 'crescendo'

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Would it have been the van version of the Maestro? I recall the diesels used in the Maestro (and Montego) being fairly loud. I'm not sure why it would have been a first, though - front wheel drive, maybe?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Struggling with this. The Maestro had a few novel features for its time, I think it had electronic engine management possibly? I'll go with that.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The Maestro van is correct. It was the first mass produced car to have a high speed direct injection diesel engine fitted- developed by Perkins.

It was very noisy and slow but with later turbocharging , modern electronic injection and an intercooler some very powerful versions of this engine found their way into the last MG/Rover products.

Gus was first so his floor.

me123

Established Member
I shall take the floor.

"The book is a silent teacher and a companion in life. People should carry books with them at all times and read various good books zealously".

To whom has the above quote been attributed?

me123

Established Member
Indeed, it is the Eternal President of the DPRK, Kim Il-Sung. I particularly like the quote - it's actually quite a good quote, despite where it came from. Here's an abbreviation of the quote hanging in a book shop in North Korea. Ironically, every single book in said book shop was either written by or is about the Kim dynasty.

bookshop-1-1024x683.jpg

The floor is yours, Comrade.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There are quite a few possibilities & I think the question needs clarifying- do you mean a driver who actually made an F1 race weekend?- There were I am sure a couple who got a contract but their own sponsorship fell through & never started a race.

If you mean one who did grace an F1 weekend my personal favorite was Yuji Ide who was so slow he had his licence revoked.

There are a few drivers who had only one race start but you can't beat Marco Apicella at Jordan who was punted out on the first corner of his only GP!

NoMorePacers

Established Member
You won. Your floor good sir. It was indeed Italian Marco Apicella, brought in by Jordan to replace Thierry Boutsen at the 1993 Italian Grand Prix, qualifying 22nd, and he drove a mere 800 metres before becoming an innocent victim of a first corner pile-up, retiring from the race, before being replaced by Emanuele Naspetti, then Eddie Irvine for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
Wasn't there a secret passageway? (Not so much a secret now), between there and a nearby church, so the condemned could be lead to their death, without being pelted with rotten fruit and veg.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Wasn't there a secret passageway? (Not so much a secret now), between there and a nearby church, so the condemned could be lead to their death, without being pelted with rotten fruit and veg.

Actually the opposite of that. It made the accused more visable