• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Devonman2014

I've just picked up a copy of the Lancashire Evening Post this morning and I can verify that the tokens are the same as the last offer. I still have 20 tokens left over, so if you PM me your address I'll send a couple up to Glasgow, post free, if you're still interested. ;)

Hi Karl

Would you have a couple to send to sunny Devon for me to use as a weekend rover ?
Much appreciated if u could ...

Mark

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Karl

On Moderation
That is very kindly and much appreciated.

However, the forum is not letting me send you a PM.

Thank you very much for doing that.

Oops sorry, I didn't realise my settings were not accepting messages. I've changed them now and sent you a PM. ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
I could also do with some, just 2 would be fine but another resident of Scotland. Any offers? Glad to pay for postage.

Blimey the poor bloke should be knocking them out on E-Bay !!

A day on Pacers seems all the rage.

Now if anyone can find any decent 1st Class Fares on FGW aka Virgin East/West Coast Prices (without a Railcard) I would be well chuffed.

alex17595

Great Western offering some cheap fares from Ashchurch for its 20th anniversary. This Sunday only.

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 58

boyaloud

VTWC has just had a sale through the virgin red app, ran from, 24-30th may. £4 Birmingham to London even for booking the day before. 10£. Manchester to London etc.

breadfan

And again this weekend 10-11 June (note the slightly different url)

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/weekendflash/

Brilliant!

I was booked on the 1010 KGX-LDS with my girlfriend and some friends with our 2 together card. Now my girlfriend can't make it so was looking at a £42 fare to travel with our friends. For some reason I didn't get round to booking it yesterday, so bagged a £5 ticket today thanks to seeing this post.

Thanks for posting.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another weekend flash sale from VTEC, makes me wonder if someone in Blackfriars House* has worked out that weekend loadings/revenues are not growing as strong as they had hoped so decide to do a flash sale to increase revenues from those last minute people who fancy a last minute trip to Newcastle/Leeds/Edinburgh etc.

(* I think that is where VTEC is based, if not replace Blackfrairs House with whatever place they are based)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Another weekend flash sale from VTEC, makes me wonder if someone in Blackfriars House* has worked out that weekend loadings/revenues are not growing as strong as they had hoped

It's probably more the fact that it's only a few weeks before the summer holidays and three terrorist attacks in as many months have put people off travelling.

I'm having a short notice weekend in London and the price I got (booking today for Saturday) at the Holiday Inn Express is the lowest I've seen it in a very long time, even looking weeks or months in advance. So it's not just Virgin who are trying to drum up business.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's probably more the fact that it's only a few weeks before the summer holidays and three terrorist attacks in as many months have put people off travelling.

I'm having a short notice weekend in London and the price I got (booking today for Saturday) at the Holiday Inn Express is the lowest I've seen it in a very long time, even looking weeks or months in advance. So it's not just Virgin who are trying to drum up business.

Makes sense, something similar happened in Paris after the dreadful attacks there.

Enjoy your trip to London, hopefully the sun will make an appearance this weekend

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Probably why my easyHotel was only £35 for tonight booked only 6 days in advance too. Didn't make a difference for Virgin WC Advances though, they were still too expensive for this trip!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Makes sense, something similar happened in Paris after the dreadful attacks there.

Enjoy your trip to London, hopefully the sun will make an appearance this weekend

Fingers crossed it will, although I intend to spend most of my time inside the Dovetail in Clerkenwell drinking Belgian beer so I won't notice something as subtle as sunshine :lol:

I'm paying £90 for the hotel, including breakfast, and it is a very very long time since I've seen that hotel at that price.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I've got a £5 offer code for £10 spend on EMT Advances to London if anyone is interested. Reply below.

woody505

Hot cakes are back only first class this weekend though. Know. For ages need to travel on 2/7 fingers crossed we get hot cakes next week

woody505

cheers there was no sign of this on their fb wall where they usually advertise. I asked virgin today if they where doing hot cakes this weekend and they said no.

Shame they change the links every week.

Silver Cobra

One thing to bear in mind with this weekend's 'Hot Cakes' sale, according to that page, is that it is restricted for travel between York and Edinburgh.

**EDIT: Seems that page lies. I did random searches for Peterborough to Darlington and Peterborough to Leeds, and promotional tickets came up for both.

Last edited:

woody505

plenty of availability in first class all day on sunday £20 London-leeds
and £5 in standard from 19.35

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Shall we just stop buying VTEC advances under the assumption that there'll be a £5 sale every weekend? :lol: ;)

ModernRailways

Established Member
Shall we just stop buying VTEC advances under the assumption that there'll be a £5 sale every weekend? :lol: ;)

I'd definitely say it's reached that point tbh. I can certainly see it continuing, although why they don't just lower their advance fares on the whole is beyond me - that's for another discussion though.

woody505

Train I'm booked on cheapest is £105.20 super of peak single if you didn't know about the hotcakes id be a bit miffed if I found out ppl where paying £85.20 less than me and getting in first class for £20.

General Zod

No cheap ' standard class' tickets from London Kings Cross to the North East before lunchtime on the Saturday. Plenty to Leeds though.

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
https://www.gwr.com/sale

Best routes, best prices – 200,000 seats available.

With Advance Single fares from as little as £5, what are you waiting for?

Every minute on board brings something new to discover. Hassle-free and hands-free, you’ll arrive refreshed and right where you need to be. All you need to do is get in early and pick where you’d like to go.

Book your sale tickets before 20 July to travel until 10 September and start your summer adventure right here.