• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWTownEnth

Well I spoke to one of the on board staff briefly at Reading the other day, and apparently it's going a bit better now, with the software behaving "better than it was". That's all I was able to find out.

Timetable change is in 13 days, they will have to be suitably satisfied with everything, and all the red tape cut through from all involved parties. So I wouldn't like to say, but it seems a tall order for a fortnight.

Thanks. I agree it looks a tall order but fingers crossed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WWTownEnth

Any news of how the fault free running is going?

Are we likely to see units in service with the new timetable on Monday?

Thanks.

spark001uk

Established Member

Thanks.

Asked swt exactly that on twatter yesterday, and the person on there said they don't think so. Which isn't good news if they're right. I'm beginning to wonder if a passenger will step onto one whilst it's still in swt livery.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I noticed in passing a few days ago that 707003 now has an orange (i.e. cab-side) external camera housing on the red livery area - have they started swapping them around already?!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I noticed in passing a few days ago that 707003 now has an orange (i.e. cab-side) external camera housing on the red livery area - have they started swapping them around already?!

I think that they might have been delivered with them cameras in place

[youtube]Z3zAE7iWgdw[/youtube]

That video from February has the cameras visble.

spark001uk

Established Member

I'm stood at Reading at the moment looking at 007 and 008 in p4, and they appear to all be orange, right the way down the length of the set.

Bigfoot

Thanks.

There are no 707s in the may carriage workings. As and when they start it be through stp amendments until the whole fleet is in service.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
All I can tell is that testing must be continuing because the units at Clapham Junction sidings change position. I mean pairs get reversed in the sidings so presumably they have been out round the loop via Kingston to/from Wimbledon.

I assume nothing above 707010 has been delivered ?. I have seen all of the first ten 707s in Clapham/Wimbledon.

spark001uk

Established Member
All I can tell is that testing must be continuing because the units at Clapham Junction sidings change position. I mean pairs get reversed in the sidings so presumably they have been out round the loop via Kingston to/from Wimbledon.

I assume nothing above 707010 has been delivered ?. I have seen all of the first ten 707s in Clapham/Wimbledon.

Yes still 10 as far as I can tell. 003/004 worked 5Q40 yesterday, and I saw 007/008 earlier in the week on test at Reading.

WWTownEnth

Any news on how the fault free running is going?

This project is going to end up being like the 458/5s at the current rate!

spark001uk

Established Member
Hi,

I'll be going round London on Wednesday. Are there any 707's out on test?

Thanks.

The majority of testing is being undertaken between Staines and Reading, so anywhere along that route is your best bet.

However if it's a ride on board you want to experience, there's always their cousins the 700s on Thameslink you could try out in the mean time! ;)

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
I asked that when I spoke to one of the siemens bods at Reading, and he just said "well, it's better than it was".

Doesn't fill me with confidence. Especially as on the occasions it stops at my local station, it seems to be "how many men in hi-vis jackets does it take to guard dispatch a 10-car 707?"

spark001uk

Established Member
Doesn't fill me with confidence. Especially as on the occasions it stops at my local station, it seems to be "how many men in hi-vis jackets does it take to guard dispatch a 10-car 707?"

Had a chuckle with them actually, I said I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever enter service in SWT livery! Or even for their short life with FMTR until they're ditched perhaps!! ;)

TEW

Established Member

The test runs are also being used for training guards, which will explain why there are several people involved with dispatch. From what I understand the door controls do have problems though.

GW43125

Established Member
The test runs are also being used for training guards, which will explain why there are several people involved with dispatch. From what I understand the door controls do have problems though.

Usually a staff member or two leaves the train at this station so I doubt they're being trained!

GW43125

Established Member
Had a chuckle with them actually, I said I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever enter service in SWT livery! Or even for their short life with FMTR until they're ditched perhaps!! ;)

Myself and a family member have commented on the deliveries having stopped and the testing seemingly dragging on, it's as if they don't want them in service ;)

spark001uk

Established Member
One does wonder!

I have to say there was a fair bit of wheelspin on today's 5Q40 on the branch, it was doing a stopping pattern today I believe. It was quite noisy too, I think I even saw a few sparks at one point. To be fair there was a light drizzle though, which causes some of the worst adhesion.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
One does wonder!

I have to say there was a fair bit of wheelspin on today's 5Q40 on the branch, it was doing a stopping pattern today I believe. It was quite noisy too, I think I even saw a few sparks at one point. To be fair there was a light drizzle though, which causes some of the worst adhesion.

I'm yet to see 707 wheel spin. If it's like 458 wheel spin then expect s scooby-doo type run: you're running but getting nowhere!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is the TMS of a 707 exactly the same as that of a 700 but with all dual voltage and/or AC only bits removed?

D365

Veteran Member
Is the TMS of a 707 exactly the same as that of a 700 but with all dual voltage and/or AC only bits removed?

Eh? If you're suggesting that code is removed, it won't be exactly the same software will it.

GW43125

Established Member
Eh? If you're suggesting that code is removed, it won't be exactly the same software will it.

Won't they be keeping the AC gubbins etc to allow them to convert to dual voltage?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Exactly, I'm really not sure what SpacePhoenix is asking.

It's just another of his typical questions then?

I suspect he's wondering if there really are software issues on 707s (and there's nothing to confirm that either way) why haven't Siemens just copied the 700 software across.

But there's bound to be differences, such as regular multiple working of pairs of 707s, probably a different ASDO infrastructure on SWT routes, no need for the core Thameslink ATO overlay, anything to do with AC supply inhibited or not displayed on 28 of 30 units etc etc.

I doubt there's anyone who posts here that really knows the detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.