• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNCF Loco hauled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that.

Yes, it will be sad.. I can see myself setting my sights on Eastern / Central Europe for bashing in the years to come when all the proper stuff in the West is finally gone.

C'est la vie... :(

Good memories, they must have continued past Mulhouse too all the way to Bâle (SNCF) too at some point not so long ago before the LGV opened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
Le 1513 is a must not only for the crepes but they have some nice beers too, Wally Field Corner -Irish bar in le Centre Ville was also good fun :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gordon, you wouldn't happen to know the latest on the new units for line 4 would you?

As I didn't manage to get in a last ride behind a CC 72100 in November on the Belfort I am now looking to get back over some time next month.
Do you think they'll still be running then or has the Régiolis onslaught already begun?!

And while I'm at it, do we have a final date for BB 67400's on the Boulogne's??

Thanks as always.

Thanks for that, will see if we can get a visit to le 1513 in!

A set of diagrams for the CC72100s has appeared in the files section on the Yahoo ERG group, valid until Feb 5th. Looks largely unchanged from 2016 but I suspect the date ties in with the new plastic.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Coming to this thread quite late, but I haven't yet spotted any mention of the Alsace TER200 (Strasbourg - Mulhouse - Bâle), which are all BB26000 hauled Corail (lightly refurbished but basically the original interiors, with ridiculously comfy bench seats).

Had a great day on those in the summer with an ALSA rover.

Gordon

Corail (lightly refurbished but basically the original interiors, with ridiculously comfy bench seats).

They are superb. The still fabulous ride of the Corail - but with velour type cloth seat covers rather than the original leatherette.

The TER200 trains prove that you do not need plastic EMUs to give a good fast frequent service to the public...

Ridiculous to think that the legendary superb quality of the ride (due to the bogie and associated suspension design) stems from the use of the type of bogie first developed for the X3800 Picasso railcars in 1949

MarcVD

With 8 seats in each, they are not very comfortable when full...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Coming to this thread quite late, but I haven't yet spotted any mention of the Alsace TER200 (Strasbourg - Mulhouse - Bâle), which are all BB26000 hauled Corail (lightly refurbished but basically the original interiors, with ridiculously comfy bench seats).

Had a great day on those in the summer with an ALSA rover.

I mentioned them up thread! :)

Yes, the are very enjoyable cars to travel in. Especially in the voiture-pilote with the compartments as mentioned by Marc. Just a pity the doors have been removed, enjoyed one to myself from Strasbourg to Bâle in November.
Still, the NMBS/SNCB I6's were nicer on le EC Iris / Vauban, but the TER200's are probably the best trains left on the route now.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Today, 6th February 2016, the change on the old 'ligne 4' officially begun :(

FRANCE: SNCF’s first Alstom Coradia Liner V160 electro-diesel multiple-units entered passenger service on the Paris – Troyes – Belfort route on January 6.

SNCF placed a €346m order for 34 six-car Coradia Liners in October 2013. Part of Alstom’s Coradia Polyvalent family, they are intended to replace locomotive-hauled stock on trains d'équilibre du territoire inter-city services on the conventional network which cannot be operated throughout by electric traction. The order included 19 units for the Paris – Troyes – Belfort route, and 15 for TET services from Nantes to Bordeaux and Lyon.

Alstom offers the Coradia Liner V160 as 72 or 110 m long units able to operate at up to 160 km/h under 25 kV 50 Hz or 1·5 kV DC electrification, or powered by roof-mounted 350 kW MAN diesel engines.

The six-car low-floor trainsets have a capacity of up to 269 passengers in two classes, with reclining seats featuring upholstered armrests, power sockets and a coat hanger. There are large windows, with partitions and soft LED lighting intended to enhance feelings of comfort. There is a dedicated area for on-board staff, and an at-seat catering service can be provided. Five of the six cars have toilets, one of which is designed to be wheelchair accessible, and three bicycles can be carried.

Six of Alstom’s 12 sites in France are involved in the production of the units, with design and assembly at Reichshoffen, Ornans supplying motors, Le Creusot the bogies, Tarbes the traction equipment, Villeurbanne the on-board electronics and Saint-Ouen responsible for design.

‘Inter-city passengers will benefit from new trains that are accessible, comfortable and very reliable’, said Jean-Baptiste Eyméoud, President of Alstom in France, when the first unit went into service. ‘Coradia Liner has been developed from the Coradia Polyvalent platform which benefits from experience with the 178 trainsets already delivered’.

Source: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/coradia-liner-enters-service.html

Polarbear

Established Member
Today, 6th February 2016, the change on the old 'ligne 4' officially begun :(

For anyone wanting to have a spin around France on loco-hauled IC services - this marks the beginning of the end so if you get the chance, go.

I liked this quote from the SNCF enthusiasts Society webpage;

The 160 km/h Coradia train sets ordered for the intercité fleet are the same configuration as operated on Paris - Granville services. It is not yet clear how they will be marketed by the Region. As super TER ? No-one knows yet. During 2017 they will be operated as intercité just to be clear !

It doesn't shout "quality" does it?

AlexNL

Established Member
It all boils down to preference - I am quite enthousiast about the look of the Coradia Polyvalent and Coradia Liner range!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It all boils down to preference - I am quite enthousiast about the look of the Coradia Polyvalent and Coradia Liner range!

They're a bit FLIRT-esque in concept, but the front end does look odd but still distinctly French. Not, of course, as pig-ugly as anything the Dutch have designed.

Give me a CC72100 et Corails any day over one of those plastic things!

I believe IC 1542 (08:20 Belfort - Paris Est) is still hauled on Saturdays? -Gordon?! :D

Polarbear

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know whether the Cevernol (Clermont Ferrand - Nimes), will have a loco-hauled diagram this year?

I'd guess this will be the last year (if that hasn't already happened) for loco & stock on that route, given the increasing pace of running down such services in France generally.

Any information most appreciated. :D

AlexNL

Established Member
The Cévenol is being transferred to the Occitanie region, new rolling stock (Coradia) will be introduced in september 2018.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
The Cévenol is being transferred to the Occitanie region, new rolling stock (Coradia) will be introduced in september 2018.

Thanks. On that basis, I'd assume that the current set up should stay in place until the new trains turn up.

I believe the current set up is units. It was when I was there in November. Plenty of other BB67400 et RRR out of Clermont on local stuff though.

Polarbear

Established Member
I believe the current set up is units. It was when I was there in November. Plenty of other BB67400 et RRR out of Clermont on local stuff though.

It is units for the most part. I understand that last summer, one return diagram was operated with a loco & stock during the school holidays & was wondering if anyone had any idea whether a repeat was on the cards for this year?

Also, SNCF also operate a steam hauled service on the mid section of the line during certain Wednesdays during July & August.

MarcVD

Was it really SNCF ? Their only remaining steam loco has been unavailable for years now...

Gordon

Also, SNCF also operate a steam hauled service on the mid section of the line during certain Wednesdays during July & August.

I think the Wednesdays service is the Train Touristique des Gorges de l'Allier. It was originally a purely SNCF promotion, but it now seems to be run by the 141R420 group, with cooperation from SNCF but the trains (at least for 2017) are diesel not steam hauled.

In the early days the service was X2800 railcar (in the latter days of their use on SNCF) and /or 66400 or 67400 + RRR .

Polarbear

Established Member
I think the Wednesdays service is the Train Touristique des Gorges de l'Allier. It was originally a purely SNCF promotion, but it now seems to be run by the 141R420 group, with cooperation from SNCF but the trains (at least for 2017) are diesel not steam hauled.

In the early days the service was X2800 railcar (in the latter days of their use on SNCF) and /or 66400 or 67400 + RRR .

Thanks for the information. I did stumble across a website (largely in French) about the service referred to above-I'll post a link when I'm back at my computer.

Link duly posted;

https://www.ligne-des-cevennes.com/train-touristique-gorges-de-l-allier/

Last edited:

Gordon

MarcVD

I think there are a few TER 200 moves extended to the north of Strasbourg. That would be corail+sybic.

Sadly not now since last summer with the deletion of the Intercités de Nuit to/from Nice: ICN 4751/4882 and ICN 4251/4351 to/from Cerbère/Portbou. However, according to rail.cc the Train de Nuit from Paris is being reinstated to run weekends only to/from Cerbère only from June 09 due to local protests, better than nothing though I suppose..
See: https://rail.cc/fr/night-train-paris-cerbere-returns/n25

And of course the other locomotive hauled trains in area were le EC Iris et Vauban as well as a daily out and back Bâle - Luxembourg TER200 which was a partial replacement for the EC 296 "Jean Monnet" that also used to run: Brussel-Luxembourg-Metz-Strasbourg-Bâle until 2011 I believe.
All other TER200's that ran north of Strasbourg were also cut back at the same time last April, AFAIK a few also extended to Metz/Nancy. Why both these and the through Bâle-Luxembourg train were cut back to terminate at Strasbourg, I have no idea??
I think this, along with the deletion of the two aforementioned EuroCity connections has been an extremely shortsighted decision by the SNCF as it has resulted in there now being only one direct connection (a réservation obligatoire TGV) in each direction per day between Strasbourg and Luxembourg and none at all anymore from Bâle. I know that the out and back TGV to/from Brussel via the LGV and Roissy Aeroport is the direct replacement for the EC's for through Brussel-Bâle pax with just one change to a TER200 at Strasbourg now, but what about Luxembourg? Why did the Bâle-Luxembourg TER200 also have to be cut back to Strasbourg? I know people in Luxembourg who used this and the two EC's through to Bâle regularly have not taken kindly to these changes.
However, I believe one daily out and back TER200 diagram from Bâle-Nancy has now recently been reinstated.

From what I heard last year, the SNCB/NMBS and CFL were willing to keep the two EuroCity connections going but it was SNCF and SBB-CFF-FFS that had lost all interest as they seen these trains as an inconvenience, so pulled the plug as soon as the new LGV was operational and the last trains ran on Saturday, April 02 last year... :(

Sybic 166 making some noise, complete with flares, SNCB resto and SBB panoramic wagens with the last EC 91 Vauban (07h33 Brussel Zuid-Bâle SNCF) @ Gare de Mulhouse Ville:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnpwjp1Y0Y

The last shunt and preping for the return last EC 96 Iris @ Bâle (SNCF), a nice touch with the head message on the Sybic too. (complete with the SBB koupler's talking Baseldytsch! :lol: ):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftn8KB8omwE

And finally a fitting send off with a hat off from le Chef de Service, the Sybic blasting it's horn while the church bells ring out as BB26166 heads back north to Luxembourg @ Mulhouse Ville with the last ever EC 96 Iris (16h21 Bâle SNCF-Brussel Zuid) :( :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9L9_RYkQY

All credits to Monsieur Henry Daniel! :)

On Moderation
From what I heard last year, the SNCB/NMBS and CFL were willing to keep the two EuroCity connections going but it was SNCF and SBB-CFF-FFS that had lost all interest as they seen these trains as an inconvenience, so pulled the plug as soon as the new LGV was operational and the last trains ran on Saturday, April 02 last year... :(

I suspect SBB's issue was with the number of times the trains were late into Basel from France. They used to fit into the IR regular interval service through to Zürich, so every time they were late SBB had to kick out an "ersatzzug" to maintain the timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.