• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 88 UKDual & EuroDual

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

Not bothering personally as they'll still be knocking about when I'm 6ft under so at least another 30-40 yrs to get & phot them but if you want to be one of the first to get out & phot them then fill ur boots.
I look forward to seeing ur efforts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member

DRSavenger008

May be off topic considering the focus is onn todays tour but can anyone confirm if 88's are working the pathfinders tour next week, heard a rumour about class 37's working it. Cheers

E_Reeves

Established Member
Correct, 68022 worked the ECS into London and was on the rear of the formation hauled by the 88.

Will the 88 be on the front on the way back into London or the 68? I believe they went to Kingmoor after Carlisle so may have swapped ends?

Established Member
May be off topic considering the focus is onn todays tour but can anyone confirm if 88's are working the pathfinders tour next week, heard a rumour about class 37's working it. Cheers

Given that it is a class 88 tour There is no reason to think that 37s will be involved.

furnessvale

Established Member
I note from the article in the hyperlink that Stadler propose to produce the Eurodual with a capability to use the diesel engine in boost mode when operating in electric mode. Is this possible with the class 88s or will it be a back-fit option? Or neither of these?
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ful-loco-family-as-eurodual-trials-begin.html

I suppose it is a possibility, but I am still convinced that the 88s biggest problem will be laying its 4mw on the rails through only 4 axles in poor adhesion conditions, let alone trying to give it an extra 0.7mw to contend with.

TimboM

Established Member
When the 88 (88002 I think) was on the Settle & Carlisle at the weekend it was leading with the 68 tucked in behind.

In this configuration away from the wires, was the 88 just controlling the 68 and the 68 was providing the power?

Or was the 88's diesel engine contributing too? (or doing all the work - but I doubt this option as was a pretty long rake + the 68 and seemed to be going at a fair pace for a 950hp engine).

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sunbird24

Probably best to ask the driver, several of them post on Facebook with pictures and details. They do say that following the tests the 88s alone would struggle to keep to time with a heavy load on diesel with those gradients. Both types have full control from the other when coupled. They are also capable of operating by remote control if the relevant controllers are fitted to both. A 68 was used in the initial remote control tests at Albuixech with a Euro 4000 but only one way as the 68's don't have the necessary equipment fitted to control the brakes. The 88 alone cannot supply train services and full power to the wheels at the same time, something has to give. Additional trailing load results on a reduction of attainable maximum speed.

furnessvale

Established Member
i just wondered why they never made a co-co version of the 68/88, unless that's in the pipeline

I have been banging on about that since the 88 was first announced.

An extra axle or two would have enabled a larger diesel engine to have been fitted making the loco truly dual purpose.

Perhaps the next design will do that.

On Moderation

An extra axle or two would have enabled a larger diesel engine to have been fitted making the loco truly dual purpose.

I'd up the rating on 25kV too so that you had a comparable performance to a 92.

PYROOGOBBO

Also i coulda seen it as an ideal replacement for the 60's or 56's on the heavy freights too (for a diesel freight / coco version of 68)

CosherB

Established Member
Also i coulda seen it as an ideal replacement for the 60's or 56's on the heavy freights too (for a diesel freight / coco version of 68)

Why do we need a replacement for the Class 60 when there have been dozens of them parked up for years at Toton?

coppercapped

Established Member
i just wondered why they never made a co-co version of the 68/88, unless that's in the pipeline

DRS is not in the business of hauling very heavy trains. Why would it need a six axle locomotive with all the extra cost?

In any event variable voltage, variable frequency ac traction motors as used in all modern traction are inherently slip resistant - unlike series wound dc machines. For DRS' business six axles would be overkill.

DY444

When the 88 (88002 I think) was on the Settle & Carlisle at the weekend it was leading with the 68 tucked in behind.

In this configuration away from the wires, was the 88 just controlling the 68 and the 68 was providing the power?

Or was the 88's diesel engine contributing too? (or doing all the work - but I doubt this option as was a pretty long rake + the 68 and seemed to be going at a fair pace for a 950hp engine).

Thanks in advance for any info.

From the videos it sounded to me like both were under power

TimboM

Established Member
Why do we need a replacement for the Class 60 when there have been dozens of them parked up for years at Toton?

...not to mention most of the 92 fleet (at Crewe Electric) and even relatively new 70s. Strongly suggests there isn't a need for heavy freight locos these days.

But there is demand for versatile, mixed-traffic, efficient locos like the 68s and 88s - which is why DRS have gone for them. If they have the occasional heavy freight they've got enough traction now to double-head.

P.S. Thanks to those who've provided responses to my Q above.

Last edited:

thetangoman

I'm sure that it's been stated on here before that DRS initially wanted a co-co locomotive but were persuaded away by the manufacturer as technology had moved forward and the bo-bo version would be more than adequate for their needs.

Sunbird24

There are both Co-Co versions and higher powered Bo-Bo versions available but the limiting factor has nothing to do with weight but the pure physical size of the Cat IIIB emission filters which make the body profile out of gauge for use in the UK.

furnessvale

Established Member
A class 88 made its first revenue freight journey today hauling the Tesco intermodal from Daventry to Mossend.

I was most impressed to see a full load (bar one container) and no backup 68 attached.

If this carries on, especially through inclement weather, I will have to eat my words!

gsnedders

Established Member
A class 88 made its first revenue freight journey today hauling the Tesco intermodal from Daventry to Mossend.

I was most impressed to see a full load (bar one container) and no backup 68 attached.

If this carries on, especially through inclement weather, I will have to eat my words!

Where on that isn't electrified?

Status
Not open for further replies.