• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387 to GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

notverydeep

The perfect solution.

At this morning's Meet the Manager, one of the Managers did acknowledge that they had had many more complaints about the lack of seats since the 387s took up fast Cambridge / King's Lynn workings this week.

He was surprised by my comment that this is exacerbated by the random orientation of the trains and said that he would investigate that. I suggested that they adopt the Thameslink Policy and declassify all but the leading first class section...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
Disagree.

A bit of both for me - prefer opening windows until it gets to mid-20s outside, like the last few days. Then I prefer aircon, assuming it actually works.

The 387s, unsurprisingly, seem a lot like the 379s - ambient temperature varies widely between carriages, but at least one is usually nice and chilly.

Plus some Cantabridgians get angsty and insist on keeping the 365 windows shut on hot days due to the racket that results through the various tunnels (insisting that the air vents will suffice)

Not sure what it is about Cambridge people, but they seem to be a lot more allergic to fresh air and/or tunnel noise than others. Loads of times I was at Kings Cross when a 365 ex-Peterborough came in with lots of windows open, then the Cambridge passengers get on and immediately close them all...

MikeWM

Established Member
Is there some unforseen issue with splitting the 387s at Cambridge, or are they just getting used to it so it will speed up in time?

To reply to myself - ;) - it seems to have improved a little, some trains are getting away fairly quickly now (including the one I just missed last night, which I'd have caught it had taken 10 minutes to split - c'est la vie!) though there still seem to be more delays than usual, so there is still some sort of intermittent problem it appears.

Also the doors issue at Cambridge North seems to continue, though the driver this morning again warned us ahead of time that there would be a significant delay before opening.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Also the doors issue at Cambridge North seems to continue, though the driver this morning again warned us ahead of time that there would be a significant delay before opening.

Will we need apps to show working timetables, public timetables and door opening timetables now? :D

MikeWM

Established Member
Will we need apps to show working timetables, public timetables and door opening timetables now? :D

For now, possibly so! The delay must be adding a minute or so.

Anyhow, the local quality rag have been reading Twitter too, and the apparent answer is that the trains need a software update because Cambridge North is a new station (and so I guess no-one at GN could predict in advance that this station that has taken years to build was actually going to be there this week :lol:

Failed Unit

Established Member
For now, possibly so! The delay must be adding a minute or so.

Anyhow, the local quality rag have been reading Twitter too, and the apparent answer is that the trains need a software update because Cambridge North is a new station (and so I guess no-one at GN could predict in advance that this station that has taken years to build was actually going to be there this week :lol:

Considering how long it took them to fix the "cross country" issue I suspect it will be Christmas before it is fixed.

sc597

A bit of both for me - prefer opening windows until it gets to mid-20s outside, like the last few days. Then I prefer aircon, assuming it actually works.

The 387s, unsurprisingly, seem a lot like the 379s - ambient temperature varies widely between carriages, but at least one is usually nice and chilly.

That's an interesting point - my experience of the 387s since they've been introduced on this line is that they are invariably warm (but not hot) and have what feels like very still stuffy air which is horrid if you've just legged it to the train or if some unpleasant type is letting off regularly. Give me a 365 with warm or even hot air that is at least fresh and moving around the carriage any day of the week. Perhaps I'll try passing along the 387s to see if I've just been unlucky thus far with my carriage choices and their temperature, which is apparently set in the morning each day before the rolling stock leaves depot, but at the moment my preference is 365 all the way, open windows, and headphones for the tunnel noise! :D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That's an interesting point - my experience of the 387s since they've been introduced on this line is that they are invariably warm (but not hot) and have what feels like very still stuffy air which is horrid if you've just legged it to the train or if some unpleasant type is letting off regularly. Give me a 365 with warm or even hot air that is at least fresh and moving around the carriage any day of the week. Perhaps I'll try passing along the 387s to see if I've just been unlucky thus far with my carriage choices and their temperature, which is apparently set in the morning each day before the rolling stock leaves depot, but at the moment my preference is 365 all the way, open windows, and headphones for the tunnel noise! :D

The 387 I boarded on Monday evening had fully working A/C to the point where I was shivering (admittedly just in a T-shirt). Must vary by unit.

Boarding one at Cambridge North at 0630 yesterday (fresh off the sidings) it felt stuffy initially but was more comfortable by King's Cross; might take a while to get going.

carlovel1

Today's 17:58 stopping Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City was operated by a pair of 365's, but I was under the impression that this service was operated by 313's. Was this a one-off or something that we can expect now? (Something to do with the 365/387 Fen line swap?)

Stopping at Alexandra Palace, New Southgate, Oakleigh Park & Hadley Wood on a 365 was definitely something to remember. Lovely and cool on the inside and the new PIS system was working flawlessly! :D

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Today's 17:58 stopping Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City was operated by a pair of 365's, but I was under the impression that this service was operated by 313's. Was this a one-off or something that we can expect now? (Something to do with the 365/387 Fen line swap?)

Stopping at Alexandra Palace, New Southgate, Oakleigh Park & Hadley Wood on a 365 was definitely something to remember. Lovely and cool on the inside and the new PIS system was working flawlessly! :D

I saw that, as I got the 1752 to Royston on platform 11 and it was there on 10.

The 1749 from WGC to KGX, which returns back to WGC, was a 313 yesterday and I think it is all the time? Think that's the 1858 working, so could you be thinking of that? King's Cross doesn't have many 313s visiting at all in the day now.

SprinterMan

Established Member

This is booked to be 2xClass 365, it doesn't stop at New Barnet as the down slow platform can only take 7 cars. If you commute on this train, your journey from work is going to become much more pleasant in the medium term until the 700s come, at which point this train will start back from Sevenoaks.

Adam :D

Failed Unit

Established Member
Although I haven't travelled on them all this timetable change.

1658, 1728 are booked for a 4 car unit.
1758 2x 365.
1828, 1858 2x 313. Interworked with Moorgate diagram.

Rick1984

I got a 387 from KX to Ely other day and thought it was a big improvement over a 365
I was sat on a priority seat so can't judge legroom too much. But felt a lot less cramped inside and a proper fold down table compared to the small tray on a 365

A much nicer cabin with no getting defended ever time you batter through a tunnel at 100mph and no complaints with temperature.

Only complaints were the seat was a bit too firm and the ride was a very bumpy making it difficult to use phone. But I was sat over a boogie

Mainly SE Asia, occasionally Central Belt
I got a chance with the fast 387s today from Cambridge to Kings' Cross and vice versa - off peak of course so no issues with lack of seats for the most part. A few general observations:

"This is coach number X of 12" announcements which was never existent on the 365s - very useful for people who need to go further North!

The ability to walk right through the train to reach the front 4 - two minutes out of London I had a lady (luggage and all) ask me (in perfect Mandarin!) if this part of the train went to "this place", pointing to her Kings' Lynn ticket. I directed her to the front and she was able to get there instantly - no need for the "Cambridge sprint" as I call it - imagine having to do a run from coach 9 to 4 with five bulky bags which I may have seen some people do before....

Aircon worked for the most part - the trip down was a bit hot at first but I guess it was fresh off the sidings (08:46 from CBG) but it cooled down fast enough. No problems on the return, so I'm happy for that.

Also slightly unrelated but the 17:44 this evening was stated to call at Royston at 18:20 on all the screens at Kings' Cross and the National Rail app itself (but not the train's announcements) but we powered straight through - any ideas what happened?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Must admit happy to have corridor connections back. The didn't ever use them on the services I used with multiple 317s

In fact if they had increased train lengths when the 387s were introduced I would also be happy. But we have 365s now so overcrowded and denied boarding seems to have eased significantly.

Caught the late running 825 WGC (ex 720ish Cambridge north) and it had seats. I guess Stevenage passengers got another train stopping at Finsbury Park. If this happens under the Thameslink timetable it may actually provide extra seats further down the line. Look forward to seeing the timetable.

Please note, what is already published is for consultation- it is the one that will be published following the consultation I am interested in. Hopefully it will improve on what is already in the public domain.

Last edited:

Fuzzytop

Also slightly unrelated but the 17:44 this evening was stated to call at Royston at 18:20 on all the screens at Kings' Cross and the National Rail app itself (but not the train's announcements) but we powered straight through - any ideas what happened?

Was due to stop but didn't. As it wasn't due to stop at Letchworth, I wonder the driver thought it was fast as far as Cambridge? Given the sometimes erratic stopping patterns in the evening, this must be very easy to do. If so let's hope it's a meeting but with coffee...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G45517/2017/05/29/advanced
https://twitter.com/dragonsatwork/status/869258117225357313

jon0844

Veteran Member
The screens have been somewhat confused, showing duplicate trains at night. Likewise, when the new timetable kicked in some morning services in the peak weren't showing on the boards at all.

Are some 387s now using SDO at the small stations before Cambridge? Pretty sure there was a 2x387 service heading to Cambridge that stopped on the way and there was no mention of any splitting beforehand.

If only we could get Sunday services running as 8 car all day, that would make a big difference.

bramling

Veteran Member
The screens have been somewhat confused, showing duplicate trains at night. Likewise, when the new timetable kicked in some morning services in the peak weren't showing on the boards at all.

Are some 387s now using SDO at the small stations before Cambridge? Pretty sure there was a 2x387 service heading to Cambridge that stopped on the way and there was no mention of any splitting beforehand.

If only we could get Sunday services running as 8 car all day, that would make a big difference.

One wonders if the missed call may have been an error on the driver's job card, or even in the timetable.

As far as I can tell the only SDO services are the three up morning peak 2x387 trains. Certainly everything else booked to call at the three stations remains 4 cars, certainly Monday to Friday, and I suspect same at weekends. From memory it is th same north of Cambridge too. One suspects this is due to the level crossings - although of course there are plenty of places elsewhere in the country where busy roads are momentarily blocked by long trains stopping in platforms. Grandfather rights maybe?

Happily, one of the services I often use has indeed gone back to 365s. Felt lovely compared to 387s, the reversion really brings home how much of a pain the 387s have been. So many more free seats, good flow of air with windows open (although heating was on as is common with the 365s which evidently have dodgy and badly placed thermostats- but I'd rather have this and at least have plenty of openable windows than the airless and stuffy 387s), no unpredictability over first class, comfortable seats, and a lovely smooth ride. They matched 387 timings almost to the second, until they caught up with the train in front approaching Stevenage. This used to happen when that preceding train was a 317, so perhaps the 387 performance isn't so sparkling after all!

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
All this talk about stuffy 387s...Are 387s more stuffy than 377s as 377s tend to be really good air con wise

Also got me thinking are C2C passengers happy with their micro fleet...guessing so as they have tables and plug points which 357s don't

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
In my experience c2c passengers are never happy with anything. Seeing their twitter feed and comparing the service they receive to the rest of Essex's rail passengers is pretty laughable. On a more serious note, however, the lack of capacity caused by 2+2 seating with armrests etc. has caused similar problems to GN. They are of course immaculate and there is no first class farse to deal with. Since they were withdrawn from the time of day that I travel, I haven't been on one since the January timetable change. The opportunity to sit down with a plug socket and full size table on my commute from inside zone 6 was quite enjoyable while it lasted, but it clearly isn't a great use of space on a busy commuter route.

MikePJ

Yes. I took an earlier-than-usual train to work (Cambridge to Meldreth) a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to get 2x387. The SDO releases the first three coaches at the village stations.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Is the 1650 london to Peterborough diagrammed now as a single 387?

If it is that is a serious reduction in capacity from 2x 321 this time last year.

Many people left behind at Finsbury Park. Some could get on the following service to Cambridge now it is upgraded to a 365. But I hope anyone for north of Peterborough hit the with delay repay

Triumph

Is the 1650 london to Peterborough diagrammed now as a single 387?

If it is that is a serious reduction in capacity from 2x 321 this time last year.

Many people left behind at Finsbury Park. Some could get on the following service to Cambridge now it is upgraded to a 365. But I hope anyone for north of Peterborough hit the with delay repay

It must have short formed today as it is booked for 2 x 387's.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's been chaos today. Plastic wrapped around the wires near New Southgate, a power failure, broken down trains and more. For a while every section was filled from WGC to Potters Bar as the up slow was blocked.

Many empties arrived late at King's Cross that presumably were to form longer trains.

Slowly seems to be getting back to normal.

Failed Unit

Established Member
There's been chaos today. Plastic wrapped around the wires near New Southgate, a power failure, broken down trains and more. For a while every section was filled from WGC to Potters Bar as the up slow was blocked.

Many empties arrived late at King's Cross that presumably were to form longer trains.

Slowly seems to be getting back to normal.

You mean short formations, cancellations (no drivers), no info and delays......

I will get my coat.

mervyn72

Not sure if it is mentioned but 8 car class 387's that call at the villages (Foxton, Shepreth and Meldreth) on their way up are announcing on board that only the front 3 carriages will be opened. My question is why only three, when they are alone all 4 open?

amateur

On Moderation
Do people commuting from Cambridge prefer the 365s or the 387s?

Also, where or to who, have the 365s gone to?

Has the new trains effectied passenger flows.people choosing to get an earlier or later train instead

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.