• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
What are the busy and quiet times for flight departures/arrivals at UK airports? I know at London City there are a lot of early morning and evening ones, but what about elsewhere?

There is no standard answer available to this question. Not only does it vary from airport to airport but there can be some significant seasonal variations too.

My local major airport is Manchester and a weekday early afternoon in winter can be very quiet. On the other hand one night last week (actually early hours) I happened to look at Planefinder and found that as well as the usual holiday flights there were some late running in-bounds from northern Europe resulting in all three holding patterns being used; indeed one pilot obviously decided that three times round the hold had used the holding contingency fuel and diverted to Birmingham.

Smaller airports with only limited schedules will look quiet most of the time (Humberside, Doncaster, etc) while Heathrow is only quiet overnight when its runways are not allowed to be used.

berneyarms

Established Member
If you use flightradar24 you can click on any airport and get a full list of arrivals and departures in a 24 hour period for that airport.

That will give you an idea.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Just saw a tweet that China Airlines are launching a direct Gatwick -Taiwan service in Dec using an A350. Worth taking a risk in using that airline given their normally poor reviews?-Would it for example have an Asian seating density & legroom/pitch?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Just saw a tweet that China Airlines are launching a direct Gatwick -Taiwan service in Dec using an A350. Worth taking a risk in using that airline given their normally poor reviews?-Would it for example have an Asian seating density & legroom/pitch?

You'll find our very own CrawleyBen also posted it, three comments above.

The reviews aren't looking so bad recently. A new aircraft will surely help.

And with a one-way fare on the 1st December on their new flight at £315, I think the price will soften the blow...

Late evening departure: 21:15 for an 18.30(+1) arrival the next day.

Inbound is 09:30 from TPE for a 15.30 arrival at LGW.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The latest of deliberately separating people who do not pay for seat allocation, I find particularly mean and annoying.

Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows

A hen party has hit out at Ryanair's controversial 'random seat allocation' policy after the budget airline seated the 15 passengers in the group in 15 separate rows.

The group, due to fly from Birmingham to Ibiza on Thursday (22 June), had decided not to pay an extra fee to choose where to sit. But they were furious to discover when checking in four days before the flight that they had been assigned seats spanning most of the length of the aircraft, with two of them put 27 rows apart.

It follows numerous passengers accusing Ryanair of routinely allocating groups of travellers seats in different rows in a bid to force them to pay to sit together, with some claiming the budget airline has changed its seating policy.

Ryanair insists there has been no change of policy. However, since our Fury as Ryanair seats passengers 'rows apart' MSE News story we've heard dozens of similar complaints.

See our 20 Ryanair Tips for ways to save when flying with the budget airline.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...te-rows-as-outrage-over-seating-policy-grows-

Aye, "random". Sure it is Michael. Sure it is.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's probably for the best to split up a large hen (or stag) party like that on the plane...

atillathehunn

Established Member
The first 2 Boeing 737 Max aircraft ordered by Norwegian, have been delivered to the airline today @ Oslo Airport. There is a video link below for anyone whose interested. Don't think I would fancy flying on one of those for a long haul flight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo6JXrdpQRg

Thanks

Ben

I think there has been some consideration made for long haul, no? The Points Guy article reviewing the new Stewart International - Edinburgh flight had a 737-800 not a MAX. It did look uncomfortable...

9 Qatar A320s yesterday positioned to London from Doha to take up duty for BA during the strike. They will be crewed by Qatar crew while BA are on strike. They appear to be slated for various European routes: Munich, Kiev, Zurich, Sofia, Oslo, Brussels. However, they could end up anywhere short haul. Quite an upgrade, especially if you're travelling business class.

berneyarms

Established Member
Today's the day Norwegian launch transatlantic services from Irish airports, Cork, Shannon, Dublin and Belfast International, to Providence (for Boston) and Stewart (for New York).

Initially they're using B737-800 but will switch to B737-MAX.

Flights ex-Dublin & Shannon will have full pre-clearance.

The route to Providence will be the first ever regularly scheduled transatlantic service from Cork.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Today's the day Norwegian launch transatlantic services from Irish airports, Cork, Shannon, Dublin and Belfast International, to Providence (for Boston) and Stewart (for New York).

Initially they're using B737-800 but will switch to B737-MAX.

Flights ex-Dublin & Shannon will have full pre-clearance.

The route to Providence will be the first ever regularly scheduled transatlantic service from Cork.

Would the 737s on the TATL routes have a weight penalty if they're not the MAX version? A rocky start if they don't have their intended aircraft on the day of launch.

While normally quite well versed, when I saw Windsor Lock on Edinburgh's departure screen I had to stop and look it up. Hartford, Connecticut, if anyone was curious. Air Fungus fly there as well, I think it's an insurance company hub.

berneyarms

Established Member
That's going to cause some unpleasant conversations, if people are being bumped off a non-daily flight in some remote airport for the weight penalty.

I suspect that they would make a fuel stop at, say Gander or Bangor (Maine) in such a situation rather than bump people off.

The PR of having a fuel stop (pending arrival of the new aircraft) would be far less unhelpful than refusing passengers from flights.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I suspect that they would make a fuel stop at, say Gander or Bangor (Maine) in such a situation rather than bump people off.

The PR of having a fuel stop (pending arrival of the new aircraft) would be far less unhelpful than refusing passengers from flights.

Also quite possible - I will watch to see if they need it. My friend on the MAN-ORD flight on the 757 the other day was put into Bangor for fuel, not just a problem affecting the 737.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Yes it is.

Accurate within a margin of error. It doesn't explicitly invent fictional aircraft, but the precise location, trajectory etc is a composite of different pieces of information, and so may be slightly off. For domestic purposes, doesn't matter.

gsnedders

Established Member

I imagine the first consequence is that they'll simply book less freight on them.

atillathehunn

Established Member
At least domestically they do. No idea about the long haul stuff.

A brief look at their financial statement says they earned 926 million NOK from freight and other ancilliary revenue last year. That's quite a bit, and I would imagine more than they earn just on domestic freight. On some of their routes they operate quite regularly, the non-daily routes to the middle of a field in Connecticut I can't imagine carry a lot.

Jetlagged

Hey guys, :)

I just found this site named flightradar24.

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW287/dedbce8

Can someone tell me if this site is accurate, or near accurate? It would be interesting to know what sort of aircraft flies over my house!

As near accurate as you need and the app (iPhone or Android) bumps up the interest level. In AR mode you can point your device at the sky and immediately see details of any planes within reach. Try 3D mode for a view of the ground as seen from the aircraft and plenty more besides.

J-2739

Established Member
Hi guys,

Sorry if it seemed like a stupid question, but I'm not quite used to this stuff. There was something similar for the tube, but that was way far from accurate!!

berneyarms

Established Member
Hi guys,

Sorry if it seemed like a stupid question, but I'm not quite used to this stuff. There was something similar for the tube, but that was way far from accurate!!

Not at all - for anyone just looking at civil aircraft flying above it'll be more than adequate.

It's also a good resource for seeing which aircraft operated which flight.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Hey guys, :)

I just found this site named flightradar24.

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW287/dedbce8

Can someone tell me if this site is accurate, or near accurate? It would be interesting to know what sort of aircraft flies over my house!

It's pretty darn good! However to get more than just a very basic level of information does require a small subscription. A free alternative that provides more information about current flights is planefinder[dot]net, although it's database of current flight numbers/callsigns has one or two gaps not present on FR24. Not a bad idea to try out both and see which one meets your needs best.

Status
Not open for further replies.