• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Wight Railway - Island Steam Show - Which Field(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Looking at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's Haven Street station on Google Earth, which fields do they use for their Island Steam Show? I'm just trying to get an idea of how big the Island Steam Show so work out if it's worth going with travel time and cost of train/ferry fares factored in

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Firesprite

Looking at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's Haven Street station on Google Earth, which fields do they use for their Island Steam Show? I'm just trying to get an idea of how big the Island Steam Show so work out if it's worth going with travel time and cost of train/ferry fares factored in
The field between the main shed and Combley road is the one used before.

Chris125

Established Member
They predominantly use the large show field on the eastern (station building/cafe/bird of prey centre) side though there are exhibits scattered throughout the site and quite possibly in the overflow carpark field to the west.

With a variety of stuff going on in the arena and a two train service there's plenty to look at in my experience, I highly recommend it.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
They predominantly use the large show field on the eastern (station building/cafe/bird of prey centre) side though there are exhibits scattered throughout the site and quite possibly in the overflow carpark field to the west.

With a variety of stuff going on in the arena and a two train service there's plenty to look at in my experience, I highly recommend it.

Will there likely be a shuttle bus to the nearest Island Line station (not Smallbrook Junction) as afaik only 1 maybe 2 Island Line trains call at Smallbrook Junction after the last steam train arrives

Chris125

Established Member
Will there likely be a shuttle bus to the nearest Island Line station (not Smallbrook Junction) as afaik only 1 maybe 2 Island Line trains call at Smallbrook Junction after the last steam train arrives

I'm not aware of one, they do run later on Steam Show days though with the last train for Smallbrook departing Havenstreet at six.

cav1975

For all special events on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, including this one, arrangements are made with Island Line for additional up and down electric trains to stop at Smallbrook Junction. Generally this is all Island Line trains from start of IWSR services until just after the end of IWSR services allowing visitors to come and go at a time convenient to them.

We have not had any incidents of people being stranded there.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the Island Liner tickets be valid on the steam railway when the steam show is on?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I just hope that it's dry weather when it's on. When I visited the IoW steam railway a few years ago it was raining so hard that 5-10 mins in the open would be enough to be soaked to the skin

Status
Not open for further replies.