• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was on at midnight as the sale went live looking for a Euston to Glasgow ticket on a Friday afternoon in August, returning Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely nothing in the sale at these times to Glasgow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was on at midnight as the sale went live looking for a Euston to Glasgow ticket on a Friday afternoon in August, returning Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely nothing in the sale at these times to Glasgow.

That doesn't surprise me as both are busy times, and having travelled from Glasgow to Euston on a Sunday before and they are busy, even the ones which go via Wolverhampton.

-------

Last week of the current SWT £13 singles "Spring Promotion". I suspect with the franchise changeover next month it will be the last such Stagecoach promotion, and only time will tell if First/MTR do something similar

Last edited:

emil

That doesn't surprise me as both are busy times, and having travelled from Glasgow to Euston on a Sunday before and they are busy, even the ones which go via Wolverhampton.

-------

Last week of the current SWT £13 singles "Spring Promotion". I suspect with the franchise changeover next month it will be the last such Stagecoach promotion, and only time will tell if First/MTR do something similar

Very unlikely that First/MTR will do this. More advances planned and more destinations will be available. Promo's probably will be limited similar to GWR current model.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Very unlikely that First/MTR will do this. More advances planned and more destinations will be available. Promo's probably will be limited similar to GWR current model.

Plus of course it's the end of Megatrain fares on SWT/SWR routes too, what with Megabus being a Stagecoach company.

Indeed unsurprisingly Friday 4 August appears to be the last day that Megatrain tickets are on offer on SWT - unsurprising because the Waterloo upgrade works begin on the 5th August.

Had a few very cheap journeys courtesy of Megatrain on SWT.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've had an e-mail through for a Virgin West Coast 24 Hour Seat Sale with a headline £5 London to Birmingham , £11 London to Manchester , £18 London to Glasgow and also First Class Variants. Travel from July 21st - Dec 8th.

BlueFox

I've had an e-mail through for a Virgin West Coast 24 Hour Seat Sale with a headline £5 London to Birmingham , £11 London to Manchester , £18 London to Glasgow and also First Class Variants. Travel from July 21st - Dec 8th.

It's not a 24 hour sale, it's the end of the sale that started last week.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
A post on another thread has alerted me to the fact there are Hot Cakes fares this weekend, but to see them you have to sign up for their new interface. There's no availability at the time I'd want to come back unfortunately and I can't see any First Class ones at all.

These are from/to Leeds. I couldn't see any to/from York.

Leisurefirst

Apparently been on since early in June, finishes late August.

I don't think this has been mentioned here before.
Only found out yesterday through a pop-up ad I think it was IIRC.

www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/destinations-and-offers/hidden-gems/summer-hidden-gems

Promo day returns mostly for £10 (no further railcard discount) but still up to less than half the price of a normal railcard discounted ticket (to Dover for example.)

Travel after 10am, return after 2pm.
Book by 6pm previous day.

Cletus

Established Member
https://www.railcard.co.uk/offer/

Buy a 1-Year 16-25 or Family & Friends Railcard for only £24 instead of £30.

To get 20% Off simply enter promotional code SUMMER17 when you buy your Railcard online to get this great discount.

This Summer a Railcard can help you save on rail journeys during the holidays. Whether you’re visiting friends and family or planning a Summer break, a Railcard will save you 1/3 on rail fares to do all the things you love.

This offer is only available online when purchasing a 1-year Railcard and is not available at stations.
Offer available from 24 - 30 July 2017. Terms and conditions apply - see LINK.

Iggy12a

Although still not cheap, HEX are running a promotion through August: £15 one way and £25 return. Outbound has to be off peak (so not between 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm Mon - Fri), but return half can be any time within 1 month.

aar0

Another East Coast sale - 50% off for travel between 11 September and 20 December. Book by midnight Monday August 28.

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/halfprice/

I use VTEC 1st advances about 6 times a year, usually buying when there's a sale on - despite there currently being a sale one (and my having a railcard) they're more expensive than they were 4-5 months ago without a sale on... Have they put their prices up? Is it just because I'm looking at times near Christmas?

Thanks