• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I saw the rumours of Neymar heading to PSG for just shy of £200 million the other day and it reminded me why I have lost practically all interest in elite level football. I yearn for the days when someone going somewhere for over £30 million practically brought the entire game to a standstill. Now that gets you just over half of Kyle Walker or a third of Gonzalo Higuain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd be quite happy to see top-level football implode financially... in a few years, that is!
Though with fewer games, and little chance of getting tickets for away matches this season, I may yet find myself at local non-league games more often!

In other news, England's lasses do what the lads couldn't and have made their way to the European Championship semi-final in The Netherlands after beating France 1-0. This was also the first time England had beaten France in 43 years.

The Lionesses now face the hostesses in Enschede on Thursday for a place in the final.

Butts

Veteran Member
I saw the rumours of Neymar heading to PSG for just shy of £200 million the other day and it reminded me why I have lost practically all interest in elite level football. I yearn for the days when someone going somewhere for over £30 million practically brought the entire game to a standstill. Now that gets you just over half of Kyle Walker or a third of Gonzalo Higuain.

Never mind £30 Million.....

£440,000 Kenny Dalglish Celtic to Liverpool :idea:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Never mind £30 Million.....

£440,000 Kenny Dalglish Celtic to Liverpool :idea:

never mind that - it has been going downhill since Alf Common (famous for being the first player to be transferred for a fee of £1,000 on his transfer to Middlesbrough from Sunderland in 1905)

shocking ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
never mind that - it has been going downhill since Alf Common (famous for being the first player to be transferred for a fee of £1,000 on his transfer to Middlesbrough from Sunderland in 1905)

shocking ;)

Jimmy Hill's campaign to axe the maximum wage in the 1950s was a big part of how we got to where we are now. One of the first big moves following the removal of the cap was of course a young Denis Law moving from Huddersfield Town to Manchester City for £55,000. At least it funded the floodlights at Leeds Road!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Of course, the first £1 million transfer fee was back in 1979 when Trevor Francis went to Nottingham Forest from the dirty Bluenoses.

PS I use that as my get out of jail free card whenever any dirty Bluenoses have sniffed me out as a Villan. That is the one and only thing I know about their history, as the only time I ever pay attention to what they get up to are whenever they are playing against the Villa.

roversfan2001

Established Member
We sold Shearer for £15 million 21 years ago this week. He'd be one of those players going for upwards of £80-90 million in today's market. <(

Cheeky little plug for my Facebook page dedicated to my quest to get to at least one football match every weekend (harder than it first seems, mostly League grounds only ;)) as part of my mission to 'do the 92' - www.facebook.com/groundhoppingrover/ . If you're on Facebook and wish to do so please give it a like :D

(Admins/mods if that cheeky advert isn't allowed feel free to delete it)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
when did we start televising meaningless preseason games as if they are something important ?

It appears that they are "football" and there seems to be a very large captive audience in Britain who will watch televised football of any type, so their wishes are being pandered to, usually with the opportunity for the advertising companies to brainwash these poor souls...:roll:

Being a Regular at the Wolves, fans have IMO for the last several years demanded to see the team at all points throughout the year.

And I have a feeling the strategy of showing Pre-Season games across this year have from I've heard drawed good audiences, particularly within Asia (down to the link with our owners Fosun Group) and here at home.

Saturday's win V Leicester City at Molineux was shown on beinSports2 in multiple counties across multiple areas.

Pre-Season for me makes us all mainly excited, as a bit of belief sparks our veins that a side could do something!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

£194 Million for Neymar by the way would be utterly and totally barmy... He's probably next in the Court stakes, following Messi and Ronaldo!

The i newspaper on Monday claimed that his move from Barcelona to PSG was delayed until after 31st July because if he'd moved before then, his father would have missed out on a 22.3 million (pounds or euros, I can't remember which) bonus payable due to his previous move to Barcelona!

It also said that if he did move to PSG, his father was on 10% of the fee ... around 19 million (pounds or euros, again I can't remember which)!

Alf Common's father is probably rotating briskly in his grave as I write this!

:)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
when did we start televising meaningless preseason games as if they are something important ?

Happened a few years ago. Though I was confused to find the Liverpool game on ITV4 yesterday, it's usually minor paid-for channels that carry pointless pre-season games.

Darandio

Established Member
Mino Raiola isn't Neymar's agent is he? Otherwise £90m of it would probably be going to him. He did take £41m out of the £89m Pogba fee and it is deemed above board!

Although transfer fees are starting to become obscene and it is likely that it will all implode in the future, the immediate issue is with agents taking enormous amounts of money out of the game.

96tommy

Wigan Athletic 14...Chorley FC Under 21s 0 you mean ;)

Saw this and thought of our 8-0 loss to Blackburn Rovers then noticed it was a "misunderstanding" that the U21's were put out.

York kick off their season on Saturday at home to Telford. Telford have had a fairly good pre season (apart from a younger Telford with a 14-1 loss to TNS in the Senior Cup).
York could win 4-0 or lose 4-0. After all these years supporting the club neither would surprise me. We should win, comfortably, but our weakness in letting in injury time goals will strike and we will draw 1-1.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news for Scottish Football, Celtic managed to beat a team from Norway to reach the play-off round of the Champions League. At least they will have some European football to look forward to this year as they will drop down to the Europa League.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Good news for Scottish Football, Celtic managed to beat a team from Norway to reach the play-off round of the Champions League. At least they will have some European football to look forward to this year as they will drop down to the Europa League.

That's if they don't get expelled because of the actions of some of their fans, displaying dumbass banners and chanting about Lee Rigby.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
York kick off their season on Saturday at home to Telford. Telford have had a fairly good pre season (apart from a younger Telford with a 14-1 loss to TNS in the Senior Cup).
York could win 4-0 or lose 4-0. After all these years supporting the club neither would surprise me. We should win, comfortably, but our weakness in letting in injury time goals will strike and we will draw 1-1.

I assume York have stayed full time. Salford should win the league easily and i would be happy with a play off spot for Darlo. York will be in for a shock. it isnt an easy league.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm astonished by the double standards of La Liga. Real Madrid have in the past pursued players relentlessly until they are signed and yet La Liga are now doing all they can to prevent the transfer of Neymar.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm astonished by the double standards of La Liga. Real Madrid have in the past pursued players relentlessly until they are signed and yet La Liga are now doing all they can to prevent the transfer of Neymar.

Perhaps it may well be the very large financial sum in the Neymar episode that is way above any previous comparable transfer fee.

Darandio

Established Member

La Liga have often turned a blind eye or pleaded ignorance in the past whilst their clubs (Barcelona in particular) have pillaged and tapped up players from all over Europe.

Only last week a Barcelona representative claimed they had already spoken to Coutinho regarding a deal, this is completely against the rules. La Liga declined to comment.

But now they risk losing one of their stars, they are crying foul, even though it is their insistence on all players registered in their league to have a buyout clause and when this clause is met, the payment has to be made to La Liga in order to buy out the remainder of the contract. PSG have offered this payment and La Liga have illegally rejected it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Evo Stik First Division North fixtures do not start until the week after next and it is with much relief that last season, Hyde United put an end to the horrific nightmare scenario that three successive relegations meant. In fact, after the Christmas period last year, Hyde United hit a run of form that meant a comfortable mid-season place was secured.

They open this new season with an away match at Scarborough Athletic on their new ground in Scarborough. Scarborough were always a strong side to face last season, finishing in third place in the league, so it will be a match to give Hyde a real test of their squad. The Scarborough Athletic website reports this match will be an all-ticket fixture.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
PSG have offered this payment and La Liga have illegally rejected it.

So, following the above his lawyers took the money directly to Barcelona instead, the payment was accepted. Wheels have turned and he has now officially signed.

It won't be the last we'll hear of it though....

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
So, following the above his lawyers took the money directly to Barcelona instead, the payment was accepted. Wheels have turned and he has now officially signed.

What seems an astronomical transfer fee to us is naught but spare change to the Qatari owners of PSG, Oryx Qatar Sports Investment.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I have images of them turning up at the Nou Camp with a wheelbarrow full of gold bullion.