• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reciprocal arrangements for preservation society members at other railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Further to my earlier thread on travel concessions for preservation society members at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151845, does anyone know of any preservation societies whose members enjoy reciprocal arrangements at other heritage railways?

I think it would be good if preserved railways that are located close to each other (such as Peak Rail and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Derbyshire) could negotiate reciprocal arrangements for each other's members.

I don't know offhand of any railways where this happens, but Tramway Museum Society members get reciprocal arrangements at some other heritage tramways such as East Anglia Transport Museum in Lowestoft and the Heaton Park Tramway in Manchester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MichaelWells

If you're a volunteer at some railways you get reciprocal free travel to some railways.

alternatively, also if youre a volunteer you generally get offered a Heritage Railway Association pass for £25-£30 this gets you in most other railways free or discounted

paul1609

Established Member
The HRA volunteers interail card costs £30 this year and gets you free or discounted admission at nearly all heritage railways. Membership of the scheme has been mandatory for new members of the HRA since the early 2000s. I'm the co-ordinator for the K&ESR. There are also numerous railway to railway concessions for instance I as a K&ESR volunteer get free travel on a lot of southeastern heritage railways. To make things even more complicated several heritage railways are associated of atoc and issue give discounts to the ex be privileged scheme.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Basically non-serious response; but I learned decades ago, when a Ffestiniog Railway Society member and fairly regular volunteer: that there were reciprocal free-travel arrangements for FR Soc. members on the Talyllyn Railway, and vice versa. Don't know whether that still obtains -- nice, I'd feel, if it does.

Ffestiniog and Talyllyn bods used to, in fun, "rubbish" each other's railways -- (re FR) "heartless militarised super-would-be-crack-main-line a la LNWR at its Victorian worst", and (re TR) "dozy back-of-beyond mega-slow sub-Colonel-Stephens super-light-railway-cum-steam-tramway"; but I always felt there to be, behind the banter, genuine mutual affection.

XDM

Keep it quiet, but TOC staff get a hefty discount on most heritage railways. It is in exchange for volunteers, & private railway company directors, on those railways getting TOC tickets at priv prices. We used it on the Ravenglass & Eskdale & Swanage railway this summer.

Jonfun

Established Member
Most heritage railways don't extend ATOC travel concessions to volunteers unfortunately, no matter how senior. Even those at director level weren't entitled to it unless also undertaking a paid, contracted role at my last railway (ie not covering volunteers paid to come in and work trains on an as-required basis).

Calthrop

Established Member
Keep it quiet, but TOC staff get a hefty discount on most heritage railways. It is in exchange for volunteers, & private railway company directors, on those railways getting TOC tickets at priv prices. We used it on the Ravenglass & Eskdale & Swanage railway this summer.

Most heritage railways don't extend ATOC travel concessions to volunteers unfortunately, no matter how senior. Even those at director level weren't entitled to it unless also undertaking a paid, contracted role at my last railway (ie not covering volunteers paid to come in and work trains on an as-required basis).

I'm sure I'm woefully dim and ill-informed here; but please could someone kindly elucidate the above exchange for me, "in words of one syllable"? TOC=Train Operating Company, OK?; beyond that, I'm bemused.

Jonfun

Established Member
Most railway staff who are employed by members of ATOC, which is the industry organisation that represents train operators, get quarter rate travel (priv rate) on the national network. Some heritage railways are also members of ATOC, and extend the ATOC travel concessions to their staff too.

Calthrop

Established Member
So this business is essentially between national network; and heritage undertakings. The acronym ATOC was new to me. Thanks -- quoting the slogan of an about-everything-under-the-sun message board which I frequent a lot: "Ignorance fought !"

Ben.A.98

Not meaning to hijack the thread, however if you are a volunteer at a heritage line do you get free travel on a normal operating day?

The Lad

On railways that are members of ATOC, generally. paid staff contracted for more than 16hrs per week can get facilities on other TOC's.
Heritage Railways often negotiate terms with each other for staff which are often free on ordinary days and perhaps 50% on galas.

bramling

Veteran Member
On railways that are members of ATOC, generally. paid staff contracted for more than 16hrs per week can get facilities on other TOC's.

And likewise holders of PRIVs get discounted travel on a list of preserved railways. This often excludes gala type days however, and I often get the feeling booking office staff at some railways are rather 'off' when a PRIV is presented. A couple are extremely welcoming however, one railway gives free travel to PRIV holders, which is a lovely gesture, but to avoid any sensitivities I won't post which one.

Status
Not open for further replies.